U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 08:29 AM

5 posts, read 7,730 times

Advertisements

My husband was offered a job at Lockheed Martin in Marietta. He will be starting in feb and the rest of the family will probably move in the summer. We have 2 children. 1 in middle school and the other one is 4. So schools are a BIG deal. We come from a very small city in Kansas and are needing help with where to live. We have a housing budget of 100k or less and want to find a good neighborhood to raise our family. This move scares me to death and need some advise. PLEASE HELP. Also, the whole east cobb and west cobb thing is confusing to me so if you could be a little more specific that would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 08:46 AM

9,124 posts, read 32,175,476 times
On $100k or less your options will be limited in good school districts in Cobb, and East Cobb is pretty much out of the picture. You may want to focus your search further north in Cherokee County, where $100k will still get you something decent and the schools are still great. Hubby's ride to work won't be too painful- it'll be the better part of 45 minutes each way on most days if he commutes during normal hours.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:47 AM

8,862 posts, read 14,428,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhackett01 View Post
My husband was offered a job at Lockheed Martin in Marietta. He will be starting in feb and the rest of the family will probably move in the summer. We have 2 children. 1 in middle school and the other one is 4. So schools are a BIG deal. We come from a very small city in Kansas and are needing help with where to live. We have a housing budget of 100k or less and want to find a good neighborhood to raise our family. This move scares me to death and need some advise. PLEASE HELP. Also, the whole east cobb and west cobb thing is confusing to me so if you could be a little more specific that would be great.
For more FYI on Cobb County>>>
Cobb County, Georgia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Those more familiar with the area can offer suggestions of neighborhoods in your price range. There are several schools in the Smyrna area that are often recognized as above average--not certain what price homes in those subdivisions would be.

Perhaps the northern part of Cobb County--the Kennesaw area, I suppose--would be an area to consider.

hth

Old 11-15-2010, 08:52 AM

5 posts, read 7,730 times
i have seen decent houses on the realtor website...in dallas, powder springs and stone mountian....any comments

Old 11-15-2010, 09:01 AM

8,862 posts, read 14,428,809 times
Quote:
i have seen decent houses on the realtor website...in dallas, powder springs and stone mountian....any comments
Stone Mountain is East of Atlanta---Marietta is West. They are located in 2 different counties and it would not be pragmatic to live in Stone Mountain and work in Marietta. Perhaps an 11/2 hours twice a day of nerve-wracking commute. Metro Atlanta is said to have a population of 5,000,000 and most people drive, quite different from what you may be accustomed to I would think.

Powder Springs and Dallas are somewhat south and west of Marietta. Bob Kovacs suggestion of Cherokee County was a good one--I'd follow up on that.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:13 PM

876 posts, read 1,890,160 times
It sounds like you are concerned about public schools, if you have not, go to Great Schools to research the school clusters by statistics and test scores. East Cobb in and near Marietta has many of the strong schools. Cherokee is also an option since it is in that area.

You probably already realize this but housing costs in the good public school districts is generally pricier than in the average or below-average districts. I would rent if possible, since you are not very aware of the area.

If you haven't visited Atlanta, it is a very good idea visiting before moving here if it is possible for you, so you can get a feel for it. Good luck in your search and big move.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:34 PM

12,969 posts, read 21,078,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
On $100k or less your options will be limited in good school districts in Cobb, and East Cobb is pretty much out of the picture. You may want to focus your search further north in Cherokee County, where $100k will still get you something decent and the schools are still great. Hubby's ride to work won't be too painful- it'll be the better part of 45 minutes each way on most days if he commutes during normal hours.

What Bob says is correct. With your budget, I recommend not looking in Cobb County at all.

Look in:

Cherokee County (to the north)
Bartow County (to the northwest)
Paulding County (to the west)

*All three counties offer good neighborhoods in your price range with good school districts and a decent/good commute for your husband to Lockheed Martin.

I hope this helps. Good Luck!

Old 11-15-2010, 09:11 PM

16,248 posts, read 20,662,361 times
Quote:
I take it you live near Wichita because there is a rather large Wichita ex pat community here that works at Lockheed. The only place in Cobb that you can live in for 100K is south Cobb. 100K will get you a 1500 sq ft house in Austell or Mabelton. The schools there are Cobb schools and all Cobb schools are decent but some are better than others. If I were you, I would consider spending slightly more on a house and moving into west Cobb into the McEachern or Hillgrove High School districts. These are pretty good schools and neighbourhoods. My daughter went to McEachern and it is excellent, the size of a small college and offers many academic and extra circular programs. And the commute to Lockheed is about 30 to 40 minutes. You can also consider Smyrna too. We live here and it is 15 minutes to Lockheed but you will not get a house here for 100K. Maybe a townhouse if that is suitable. BTW, being from Kansas myself, I assure you that you will like the weather here much more and the traffic much less.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:33 PM

11,319 posts, read 21,954,001 times
Quote:
It's been a while since I've posted this crude and approximately accurate map, but it may help you to visualize some of the cities and regions in Cobb County. Lockheed Martin is by Dobbins in the center:

Old 11-15-2010, 10:23 PM

12,969 posts, read 21,078,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
It's been a while since I've posted this crude and approximately accurate map, but it may help you to visualize some of the cities and regions in Cobb County. Lockheed Martin is by Dobbins in the center:
It's good that you posted this, rc.

For the OP...

Cherokee County is just to the north of where it says Noonday (and Sweat Mountain and I-75) on the map.

Bartow County is just to the northwest of where it says Acworth on the map.

Paulding County is to the west of where it says West Cobb (and Lost Mountain and Macland and Powder Springs and Mars Hill) on the map.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or