U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 07:39 AM

21,044 posts, read 33,036,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
And how exactly should we hold onto that history? Ban white businesses from opening up in the neighborhood?

Auburn Ave. has history... but that doesn't mean the neighborhood must stay black forever. In a free market system, there are no rules when it comes to demographics, which can alter a neighborhood beyond recognition in less than a decade. If white businesses want to move to Sweet Auburn, they should be welcomed with open arms. There shouldn't be any underlying animosity by the original businesses and people like you that whitey is taking over the neighborhood. Economic development is economic development, no matter what color it is.

Sweet Auburn will turn white quickly, mostly due to its architectural assets. Unlike the rest of downtown, Sweet Auburn was skipped in the 60s building boom that ridded the rest of downtown of its historical buildings. Sweet Auburn buildings have a character and charm that is hard to duplicate, and therefore is very valuable. The street car will only speed up the process.
You seem to be jumping to conclusions...nowhere in his post did john make such a reactionary suggestion.
What he did say is that SA's history and heritage should be honored and cherished...I certainly hope that you don't have a problem with that.
Better check yourself; your convictions are showing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 09:53 AM

1,498 posts, read 2,550,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
You seem to be jumping to conclusions...nowhere in his post did john make such a reactionary suggestion.
What he did say is that SA's history and heritage should be honored and cherished...I certainly hope that you don't have a problem with that.
Better check yourself; your convictions are showing.
I have no problems with that and never implied that I did. But I do have a problem with people insinuating that the only way to protect an area's history is to control the race of business owners locating there.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:56 AM

5,207 posts, read 5,978,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
I hate the scare tactics they use here in Atlanta. Any crime that happens in Atlanta they post it in large letters on the top of the webpage. In most large cities you have a crime section that you click on for crimes and the major crimes arent even highlighted, they are just regular stories but here in Atlanta any crime is the 1st thing u see when u go to the AJC.....They "blow up" normal crimes, you can have 2 murders in one day and the media makes it seem like its a huge crime wave and if those same crimes happened in DC, Bmore, Philly, LA, Dallas, Houston, etc they would not even make the news
2 special groups fighting to keep the other from bringing Atlanta to the promise land of Big City Status(London, Tokyo, New York City, Paris) I see this agenda a mile away. The goal is to **** people off, but nothing anyone can do but stop reading.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:07 AM

5,207 posts, read 5,978,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
I personally think that there is a schism of sorts at the AJC, and by large a schism in general among the voices of progressive mindsets. Race and accountability is at the heart of this situation. Ever since the days of the civil rights movement there hasn't been anymore meaningful co-mingling among the various races.

Furthermore I think that white progressives in general are frustrated at what they rightly or wrongly perceive as a relative lack of accountability among the black community, whether its disproportionate crime, out of wedlock births, and politics. In turn the black community (mostly progressive when it comes to government but can be conservative in some other areas) are frustrated at they rightly or wrongly perceive as a lack of true acceptance (not mere tolerance, but TRUE acceptance) from the white community, be it in terms of jobs, neighborhood living, and social benefits.

Unfortunately, this schism will not be address because the powers-that-be do not see it in their best interests to allow for such a conversation.

At least that's how I see it, take it or leave it.
Amazing! Man I think ive maybe 1+ you like 6 times on this site. You say so much solid things in your post duke..sometimes word for word what im thinking. Stop beaten me to the same point damn it! lol ha ha

Old 11-16-2010, 03:12 PM

444 posts, read 784,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Daily newspapers have played an enormous role in shaping American cities. They are the record and the voice of the community. Even more importantly, they are its watchdog and its conscience. Too liberal for some? Sure, but that's the nature of almost every great reporting enterprise. If you're simply going to be the voice of reaction and the status quo, who really gives a hoot?

The AJC represents one of Atlanta's proudest traditions, and I think the loss of that is what Maria Saporta is really grieving for. In times when other Southern cities were mired in hate, backwardness and violence, the AJC exhorted us to rise above. Its editors and columnists told us we could be bigger and better than that. Don't be Birmingham, don't be Mississippi.

And don't be small-minded! Sure, the Crackers at Ponce de Leon ballpark were fun, but Atlanta charted a destiny that took it beyond other Southern cities. We were going for the big leagues, and danged if we didn't make it. We needed our own subway, like those big cities up north. Our own pro sports teams, so we could duke it out in the World Series and the Superbowl. We wanted our own cable network, the world's biggest airport, and the tallest building outside of New York and Chicago. Nobody believed a little Southern town could do that, but the AJC said, "Oh, yeah, just watch us!" If you grew up here, you understand the utterly transformative role the AJC has played.

Of course the AJC has always chronicled Atlanta's unique character as well. Furman Bisher, Hugh Park, Celestine Sibley, Lewis Grizzard, Cliff Baldowski, Charles Seabrook and countless others who told us every day what was on their minds and those of our fellow citizens. You may not agree with Cynthia Tucker but she knows how to write a column that makes people squirm. The internet is great for a quick read, but there is nothing like having the newspaper in your hands and sitting down with a good cup of coffee. Or picking up the sports section left lying in the chair while you're waiting for a haircut. Or delighting in the curiosities of the want ads, or sharing the comics with your kids or working the crossword on Sunday morning.

All of those things and more are what goes away when you lose your daily paper.

So yeah, I've got my beefs with the AJC. It hasn't always hit the mark, and sometimes it veered way off target. But I'd sure rather have it than not. For well over a century it has been the persistent, quirky, sometimes timid but occasionally bold, brilliant and inspiring voice of Atlanta. We're not the same place without it.
Not to repeat what others have said, but a very good response!!

Old 11-16-2010, 03:12 PM

7,732 posts, read 11,792,175 times
Quote:
I have no problems with that and never implied that I did. But I do have a problem with people insinuating that the only way to protect an area's history is to control the race of business owners locating there.
I find this insulting, to say the least. Please point out exactly where I suggested any sort of thing.

Either you didn't read my post, or you are just attempting to stir things up. I even mentioned a specific, white-owned business that is enjoying huge success in SA.

I think you have a problem with the mere fact that MANY of us feel that the history of Sweet Auburn should be celebrated. And just so you know, I'm about as WASP as they come.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:15 PM

21,044 posts, read 33,036,950 times
Quote:
No one here has asserted that...except you.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:32 PM

7,803 posts, read 11,759,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
I find this insulting, to say the least. Please point out exactly where I suggested any sort of thing.

Either you didn't read my post, or you are just attempting to stir things up. I even mentioned a specific, white-owned business that is enjoying huge success in SA.

I think you have a problem with the mere fact that MANY of us feel that the history of Sweet Auburn should be celebrated. And just so you know, I'm about as WASP as they come.
Here, here. I am so tired of the types that want to stir stuff up based on their own fears and insecurities. To the point that was made, a big problem with black neighborhoods is that a lot of white business owners don't invest in them, thus money is not flowing into those neighborhoods like others. The idea that black neighborhoods would not welcome white business owners (or that there aren't any in Sweet Auburn) is laughable.

Old 11-16-2010, 04:08 PM

The newspaper quote:

"Brown said the streetcar will eliminate the hassle of getting around the community and make it easier for businesses to see the area's potential. Her caution, however, is that it's critical to keep the area's character as a black business mecca. Like Little Five Points, which is a destination because of its alternative appeal, she said Sweet Auburn should not look like a mall."

Black Business Mecca = Place where black business owners cater to mostly black customers
Alternative Appeal of Sweet Auburn = Shops that were geared towards black people and appealed to them
Looks Like a Mall = White people walking around, coffee shops, clothing boutiques, any kind of food you want, book stores

She doesn't mean looking like a mall in the physical sense of the word. She used it as an overtone to mean that she wants to keep the business owners black and the stores to appeal only to blacks.

This is the equivalent to her statement: "Dunwoody Village has historically been a mecca for white businesses. We need to preserve that. I don't want it looking like an inner-city commercial street."

You:

"And? Auburn Avenue has a history of being the black business mecca of the entire Southeast. There's a reason it used to be known as the "Black Wall Street" back in the day. There is absolutely nothing wrong with holding onto that history, and the new businesses that are flourishing there are certainly inclusive to all - such as the extremely popular (and white owned) Sound Table, among other businesses that have a very diverse mix of patrons. This is THE new emerging club district, and everyone is welcome there. At the same time, it's never a good idea to erase history, and I personally agree that it should "not look like a mall." It seems as if you are looking for racism where it doesn't exist, in my humble opinion."

Yes, it has a history that should be celebrated. But using that fact to say, "Well, since the stores that are here are X and have historically been so, then to preserve that history, they should always be X." Stores are a product of market forces. Im really interested to see how you or the lady in the article would accomplish this goal short of communistic actions or regulating the where businesses are allowed to open up or shut down based on race.

Old 11-16-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
No one here has asserted that...except you.
The newspaper article asserted it and posters agreed with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or