U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 04:16 PM

7,811 posts, read 11,792,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
The newspaper quote:

"Brown said the streetcar will eliminate the hassle of getting around the community and make it easier for businesses to see the area's potential. Her caution, however, is that it's critical to keep the area's character as a black business mecca. Like Little Five Points, which is a destination because of its alternative appeal, she said Sweet Auburn should not look like a mall."

Black Business Mecca = Place where black business owners cater to mostly black customers
Alternative Appeal of Sweet Auburn = Shops that were geared towards black people and appealed to them
Looks Like a Mall = White people walking around, coffee shops, clothing boutiques, any kind of food you want, book stores

She doesn't mean looking like a mall in the physical sense of the word. She used it as an overtone to mean that she wants to keep the business owners black and the stores to appeal only to blacks.

This is the equivalent to her statement: "Dunwoody Village has historically been a mecca for white businesses. We need to preserve that. I don't want it looking like an inner-city commercial street."

You:

"And? Auburn Avenue has a history of being the black business mecca of the entire Southeast. There's a reason it used to be known as the "Black Wall Street" back in the day. There is absolutely nothing wrong with holding onto that history, and the new businesses that are flourishing there are certainly inclusive to all - such as the extremely popular (and white owned) Sound Table, among other businesses that have a very diverse mix of patrons. This is THE new emerging club district, and everyone is welcome there. At the same time, it's never a good idea to erase history, and I personally agree that it should "not look like a mall." It seems as if you are looking for racism where it doesn't exist, in my humble opinion."

Yes, it has a history that should be celebrated. But using that fact to say, "Well, since the stores that are here are X and have historically been so, then to preserve that history, they should always be X." Stores are a product of market forces. Im really interested to see how you or the lady in the article would accomplish this goal short of communistic actions or regulating the where businesses are allowed to open up or shut down based on race.
Question:

How is Sweet Auburn different than Little Italy or Chinatown in New York? Should you not expect to see Italian or Chinese oriented business in such places or majority ownership of the businesses by Italians or Chinese?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 04:34 PM

1,498 posts, read 2,555,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Question:

How is Sweet Auburn different than Little Italy or Chinatown in New York? Should you not expect to see Italian or Chinese oriented business in such places or majority ownership of the businesses by Italians or Chinese?
There is no difference, but I don't see how that would contradict anything I said.

As for Little Italy:

"Much of the neighborhood has been absorbed and engulfed by Chinatown as immigrants from China moved to the area. What was once Little Italy has essentially shrunk into a single street which serves as a restaurant area and maintains some Italian residents."

I'm Italian, but you wont see me upset about this. Neighborhoods change. That's just the way it is, and there is nothing that can or should be done about it.

Old 11-16-2010, 04:37 PM

28,262 posts, read 24,870,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Question:

Exactly.

By the way, what are the businesses that make up the the area's character as a black business mecca? We sometimes attend Big Bethel but I have to admit I have not walked the area in some time.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:34 AM

217 posts, read 342,103 times
By "like a mall," couldn't she have meant "full of chain stores and restaurants that one would expect to find in a mall?" That's what I thought she was saying.

Old 11-18-2010, 04:53 PM

747 posts, read 1,270,251 times
Great article in Creative Loafing this week about exactly this issue. It seems as though the AJC is completely focusing on the Northern suburbs at the expense of intown and the southern suburbs. Oh, and the writers are prohibited from using the word "sprawl."
'Burbs or bust: The AJC has left Atlanta | Cover Story | Creative Loafing Atlanta

Old 11-18-2010, 05:29 PM

12,987 posts, read 21,121,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koko339 View Post
Great article in Creative Loafing this week about exactly this issue. It seems as though the AJC is completely focusing on the Northern suburbs at the expense of intown and the southern suburbs. Oh, and the writers are prohibited from using the word "sprawl."
'Burbs or bust: The AJC has left Atlanta | Cover Story | Creative Loafing Atlanta
Love this.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:33 PM

7,732 posts, read 11,821,656 times
^OMG! This is absolutely brilliant, koko339. Thanks so much for posting this.

I'm a regular reader of CL, but I haven't seen this weeks edition until now. I have to admit that I depend on them just as much as the AJC for news anymore. I also enjoy the Sunday Paper for another alternative voice.

SundayPaper.com: All you need to know

Old 11-18-2010, 08:02 PM

3,472 posts, read 4,133,335 times
I'm just surprised that the AJC hasn't changed its name to reflect the new reality.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:04 PM

13,208 posts, read 16,063,480 times
^^^ THE SUNDAY PAPER is a great alternative to both the AJC and CL. I'm so glad to see they've survived through these difficult times. It would be GREAT too if, once things improve economically, somebody like them can expand to daily status and fill the intown void left by the AJC. IMAGINE: A daily TABLOID newspaper (i.e. Chicago Sun-Times, Boston Herald, NY Post, NY Daily News, Newsday, Philly Daily News, Washington Examiner) serving the ITP interests? How BIG CITY would THAT be?

Old 11-18-2010, 08:11 PM

7,732 posts, read 11,821,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
^^^ THE SUNDAY PAPER is a great alternative to both the AJC and CL. I'm so glad to see they've survived through these difficult times. It would be GREAT too if, once things improve economically, somebody like them can expand to daily status and fill the intown void left by the AJC. IMAGINE: A daily TABLOID newspaper (i.e. Chicago Sun-Times, Boston Herald, NY Post, NY Daily News, Newsday, Philly Daily News, Washington Examiner) serving the ITP interests? How BIG CITY would THAT be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or