U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 08:09 AM

28,148 posts, read 24,679,387 times

Advertisements

Maria Saporta's article seems to say that.

Gift of building does not absolve the Atlanta Journal-Constitution’s downtown departure | SaportaReport

Quote:
The Atlanta papers were the voices that steered Atlanta, Georgia and the South from a segregated, backwards state to one of the most dynamic and progressive regions in the country.

But that voice — the voice of reason, hope and progress — has been muted at today’s Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Instead, the newspapers seem hell bent to portray the City of Atlanta and the core of the region in the worst possible light.

It is no secret that leaders in the newsroom now say that their target audience is not those living/working inside the perimeter. Instead, they openly covet readers living and working in the areas north of I-285, even telling reporters that the south side of the region is not a top priority.

This is not the first time the AJC has tried this failed strategy. A decade ago, the mantra was Gwinnett. The newspapers invested millions and about one-third of its staff to cover Gwinnett County. The logic was that Gwinnett was growing, and the AJC could save itself by catering to that growth.

It was a futile attempt. People living and working in Gwinnett did not identify with the AJC. After years of investing it a Gwinnett strategy, circulation in that county stayed flat.

Meanwhile, the newspapers failed to realize that its greatest penetration of readers and loyal customers lived and worked in the core of the region — the City of Atlanta, DeKalb County and even Clayton County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 08:25 AM

4,688 posts, read 6,408,610 times
I hate the scare tactics they use here in Atlanta. Any crime that happens in Atlanta they post it in large letters on the top of the webpage. In most large cities you have a crime section that you click on for crimes and the major crimes arent even highlighted, they are just regular stories but here in Atlanta any crime is the 1st thing u see when u go to the AJC.....They "blow up" normal crimes, you can have 2 murders in one day and the media makes it seem like its a huge crime wave and if those same crimes happened in DC, Bmore, Philly, LA, Dallas, Houston, etc they would not even make the news

Old 11-15-2010, 09:22 AM

12,922 posts, read 21,003,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

ohmygodlovemariasaporta...

Old 11-15-2010, 09:46 AM

788 posts, read 1,685,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
ohmygodlovemariasaporta...
I do to, I got to meet her at a class at GSU, which is her Alma Mater and she has a great since of humor, and she is a pro transit buff which made me love her even more.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:44 AM

9,124 posts, read 32,119,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
They "blow up" normal crimes, you can have 2 murders in one day and the media makes it seem like its a huge crime wave and if those same crimes happened in DC, Bmore, Philly, LA, Dallas, Houston, etc they would not even make the news
The question is, which one is the "right" strategy? While 2 murders in one day isn't exactly a "crime wave", it is something that should make the news- for it to be glossed over in places like DC, Baltimore, etc., is a bit concerning, IMO.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:16 PM

6,458 posts, read 7,266,049 times
I agree with the articles discussion about the recent bias with the streetcar line. To also be fair I thought the article did a good job of explaining what the streetcar was actually for and how it would be used. It was mostly the title that was the problem and perhaps a better understanding of where exactly the money was coming from (Who pays for things should matter). I also agree they are pandering to conservatives... (Kyle Wingfield... it isn't even good conservative opinion... The facts are often wrong and distorted).

However, I have to say this writer is a little unfair to Gwinnett. Perhaps if we are to grow together as a region, she should drop the anti-rhetoric northern suburb rhetoric down a notch. Alot of people live up here and we are apart of the same region.

I come from generations and generations of Atlantans, but my family followed the social norms of the days. First they moved off to new stylish suburbs near Capital View and then around Decatur and then later to Gwinnett County. We have always gotten the AJC. Also, they didn't just invest alot into Gwinentt. They bought out the operations of a successful suburban daily that was cutting into the AJC's readership and with it came a circulation base, staff, and printing operations to handle Gwinnett reporting. In recent years they are getting hammered with competition from a new suburban daily... largely because of better hyper-localized high school sports/social interest reporting in an area with a typical family-unit population base. However, many choose to get both papers, because the Gwinnett Daily Post is very limited in their news reporting. But part of that problem comes down to why people get the paper... are you more interested in harder news or are you more interests in public interests stories (The latter is where suburban dailies and urban weeklies are beating traditional newspapers nation-wide).

And yes the north side of Atlanta had explosive growth, but we are Atlantans in a regional sense. I think it is unfair to be so hypercritical of the AJC for trying to reach out to those readers. They followed where their existing readers were moving.

Their circulation numbers have more to do with the economic stagnation, website accessibility, and competition from free sources online, which is far to limited to just the northern suburbs. Look at the sheer number of ITP newsletters, weeklies, and websites that have popped up.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:13 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,117,059 times
I personally think that there is a schism of sorts at the AJC, and by large a schism in general among the voices of progressive mindsets. Race and accountability is at the heart of this situation. Ever since the days of the civil rights movement there hasn't been anymore meaningful co-mingling among the various races.

Furthermore I think that white progressives in general are frustrated at what they rightly or wrongly perceive as a relative lack of accountability among the black community, whether its disproportionate crime, out of wedlock births, and politics. In turn the black community (mostly progressive when it comes to government but can be conservative in some other areas) are frustrated at they rightly or wrongly perceive as a lack of true acceptance (not mere tolerance, but TRUE acceptance) from the white community, be it in terms of jobs, neighborhood living, and social benefits.

Unfortunately, this schism will not be address because the powers-that-be do not see it in their best interests to allow for such a conversation.

At least that's how I see it, take it or leave it.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:22 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,117,059 times
Though I will say that I am sad that there hasn't been any sort of leader as of late in the mold of Henry W. Grady that could inspire the south and Atlanta in particular to be better. It doesn't matter what color this sort of leader would come in, I would simply like to see that type of person in the here and now...because it seems like our fair city and Georgia are in a race to reach the bottom.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:37 PM

876 posts, read 1,885,149 times
Beyond the emotion tied up in Atlanta Journal Constitution being long-time anchored in the Downtown "Heart" of Atlanta, it comes down to cost of running a newspaper. Cox Enterprises is losing money on its newspaper (all media companies are as you all know), so the Cox executives made cost cutting measures to move it to existing Cox facilities in the suburbs. Take the politics and history tied into newspaper companies themselves, and that is why in a nutshell.

Cox has a few very large locations north of downtown in the Dunwoody area and somewhere else in North Fulton, so my guess is without reading news stories from earlier in the year, that most of the AJC staff moved to those locations.

Newspapers are a dying medium and have been for quite a while, some as you know, are completely online now with no print copies. The AJC may go that route, too, if they don't try to cut costs as much as possible.

I hated to see the AJC move away from its core area, too. Most of the staff moved away in the Summer 2010, I believe. I think there are a few AJC reporters in downtown, but I am not sure where their "bureau" is.

(Edited my response about the AJC locations, Newsboy)

Last edited by SW30303; 11-15-2010 at 04:03 PM.. Reason: update

Old 11-15-2010, 03:51 PM

13,144 posts, read 15,938,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW30303 View Post
Beyond the emotion tied up in Atlanta Journal Constitution being long-time anchored in the Downtown "Heart" of Atlanta, it comes down to cost of running a newspaper. Cox Enterprises is losing money on its newspaper (all media companies are as you all know), so the Cox executives made cost cutting measures to move it to existing Cox facilities in the suburbs. Take the politics and history tied into newspaper companies themselves, and that is why in a nutshell.

Newspapers are a dying medium and have been for quite a while, some as you know, are completely online now with no print copies. The AJC may go that route, too, if they don't try to cut costs at all costs.

I hated to see the AJC move away from its core area, too. Most of the staff moved away in the Summer 2010, I believe. I think there are a few AJC reporters in downtown, but I am not sure where their "bureau" is.
The entire staff (what's left of it) moved to two floors in Cox's corporate HQ in Dunwoody last spring. There is no downtown "bureau." When reporters in the city need desk space, they go to WSB where there's a cubicle assigned to them. That's it.

As a former employee of the AJC, I assure you: Everything in Maria's blog is absolutely 100 percent true. I place 10 percent of the blame at the feet of Cox Corporate, and the other 90 percent in the lap of Her Majesty Executive Editor Julia Wallace, EVIL INCARNATE! (who you'll notice Maria referred to, but had the dignity and professionalism NOT to name ... )

From the day the woman arrived at the newspaper in 2001, she's been systematically destroying it. And the task is nearly complete.

Last edited by Newsboy; 11-15-2010 at 04:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or