U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 11:39 PM

9,913 posts, read 14,635,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reet4587 View Post
Young singles living in Cobb and Cherokee deserve to have their own versions of the hip intown ATL neighborhoods. You shouldn't have to move to the Old Fourth Ward to have a good singles life if you work in Marietta.
The Smyrna/Vinings ("Smynings") area in southeast Cobb comes closest to this, perhaps. Besides, many singles have cars, and it isn't all that far from the east side of Cobb to various places in the city. Also, the Cumberland interchange links with MARTA, making it possible to use public transport to get places even if one lives in the Vinings area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 02:01 AM

3,210 posts, read 2,627,594 times
Those southern states just need to get past all the racial stuff. It seems people just tolerate each other and then go thir separate ways. I hope this post doesn't go off on a life of it's own.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:27 AM

16 posts, read 23,891 times
I will concede on the MARTA issue, as I am definitely no expert. My MARTA impressions come from being a very casual and infrequent rider, and flavored by the disappointment in the lack of light rail service to the outlying areas. Being new to ATL, I'm unaware of the politics and history behind it all. Would it be accurate to infer that the outlying counties had a racial agenda when they voted down extending MARTA service to their areas?

I moved to Woodstock "sight unseen". I got a job in Marietta, and had a romantic interest who was living in Woodstock, so it just sort of "happened". I didn't actually investigate the area before moving.

In writing this post, I hoped to give a more balanced impression from the perspective of someone moving to Woodstock from out-of-state. Other posts I've read here, tend to be very slanted in one direction or the other. It really all boils down to what type of person you are. Woodstock may be perfect for you, or it may be miserable.

I didn't move here looking for a "singles scene", but I also didn't bring a wife, 2.5 kids, and a golden retriever with me. I think Alpharetta or Roswell would have a better balance of good single life and family life.

No, I don't miss the snow. I just get a good laugh out of the panic that sets in here when we get a little "dusting" of it.

All in all, I think that ATL offers a very good combination of higher salaries and low cost of living. My greatest disappointment is the consumer culture of the suburbs. I have never seen such an orgy of strip malls, franchise restaurants, and chain retail. I like Mom & Pop, and I'm obviously in the wrong place for that! ;-)

Weep not for me. I have been offered, and have accepted, a wonderful job in a small beach town on Florida's Emerald Coast. I'm leaving GA next week, so there will be one less car on 92!

Old 11-16-2010, 10:02 AM

248 posts, read 386,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44709-30188-32459 View Post
My greatest disappointment is the consumer culture of the suburbs. I have never seen such an orgy of strip malls, franchise restaurants, and chain retail. I like Mom & Pop, and I'm obviously in the wrong place for that! ;-)

Weep not for me. I have been offered, and have accepted, a wonderful job in a small beach town on Florida's Emerald Coast. I'm leaving GA next week, so there will be one less car on 92!
I hear ya. I'm old enough to remember the North Cobb/South Cherokee area before it experienced the blitz of strip malls and big box stores that have turned so many pieces of landscape into cookie-cutter, congested commercial zones that resemble any other in the country. I remember the corner of 92 and Hwy 5 when there were just a few odd little brick buildings with places like the Old Dixie Inn that reflected local culture.

Best of luck with the Florida move. My brother and his wife live down there and love it.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:24 AM

16 posts, read 23,891 times
Caltovegas - IMHO, ATL is FAR more progressive than Ohio. Ohio is heavily self-segregated. I was surprised when I moved here and honestly expected the exact opposite. While it may not be this way outside of the large metro areas, it certainly is here.

On that note, I have heard here in these forums, and on the street, Woodstock being painted as "white, redneck, racist, etc...". Sorry, but I just don't see it. If I had to stereotype the area in a negative way, I'd describe it as middle class yuppies, living beyond their means, shopping at the strip malls, and running their kids back and forth to soccer games. The people here are far too caught up in shopping, trying to pay their McMansion mortgages, and kid's sports to fit a klan meeting into their schedule. Hwy 92 is crowded with BMW Suv's, not old pickup trucks with rebel flags in the back window. Granted, there are not many African Americans living here, but that is a result of geography and their choice, not any effort by the people of Woodstock to exclude them. There are many Hispanics here, probably as a result of the construction boom several years ago. Your mileage may vary, but that's my impression.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:08 PM

1,276 posts, read 1,834,601 times
As someone who moved to Woodstock a year ago, I feel qualified to answer.

Quote:
Woodstock police are very aggressive. Speeding tickets and DUI's occupy the majority of their time. Don't drink and drive in Woodstock.
I have seen worse: mostly from the cops in Johns Creek and Alpharetta. The former are relentless and I've seen the latter set up a speed trap at the bottom of a steep hill. If you don't want to get stopped the answer is simple: don't exceed the speed limit.

Quote:
Woodstock specifically, and Metro Atlanta in general, is very "soul-less". Expect to see mile after never ending mile of strip malls, chain stores, and franchise restaurants.
On this I must disagree. If you haven't found the soul of Woodstock and the surrounding areas, then you haven't looked hard enough. It's there. Hiding sometimes but still there.

There are quite a few great non-chain restaurants in and near Woodstock and a wonderful offering of them ITP. And I doubt you have ever visited downtown Roswell. The shopping scene is a bit thinner, and its hard to find interesting and unique stores beyond the "antique" shops that line downtown Woodstock (where "antique" usually means old junk we dragged out of our attic).

Quote:
The northern suburbs are materialism, consumerism, and conspicuous consumption on a massive scale. Woodstock is full of McMansions. These are packed tightly into Swim Tennis developments.
You must live over in Towne Lake.

Quote:
Church seems to be the primary social activity here. Woodstock has one of the largest Baptist churches I've ever seen, complete with it's own trolley system to bring people in from the parking lot. Locals refer to it as "Six Flags Over Jesus". Traffic on Rt92 comes to a standstill during service hours.
I know people that go to that church and I've never heard it called that. And yes, it is insanely large.

Quote:
If you are a single professional, who would like to have an interesting and active social life, look elsewhere.
This is true of most suburbs anywhere. Hardly unique to Atlanta suburbs.

Quote:
Atlanta proper (ITP) is accessible, but even during non-rush hours, it's still a good 30-40 minute drive. There is much to do, but not as much as a similarly-sized city, like say Chicago, New York, etc... or even smaller cities like San Antonio, Austin, Nashville, etc... I was a little disappointed....

Culture. Lacking for a city this size, which surprised me. The art scene is relatively weak. Don't expect to have anything like SF, LA, Chicago, NY, etc... I think that culture, to the average Atlantan, means the Falcons, Braves, or SEC football.
Similarly-sized? Oh come on!!!

New York has the largest population of any city in the country, by far. LA is second and Chicago is third. Atlanta is around #35 with not even 500,000 people. New York has over 8 million. Of course you won't have the same level of culture and activities as in any of the three largest cities in the country. But even without that world-class level I still manage to enjoy The High, the Atlanta Symphony, the botanical gardens, the Aquarium, the dogwood festival, shows at the Fox, and Cirque de Soleil when it comes to town. I took my daughters to see Cavalia last December, for example.

Quote:
The people are very friendly here. Much more so than up North. It's not fake, it's not insincere. They're genuinely friendlier, and much more well mannered. Courtesy to strangers (aside from in traffic) is the norm.
They treat strangers like family. That's what I like about the south.

Quote:
Bob - No, just stating that Woodstock cops are aggressive on these issues. Some towns, you'd have to murder someone in the parking lot of the police station to get the cops to take notice. That said, Woodstock is not somewhere you want to have two beers with a late dinner and risk being stopped or, hitting a checkpoint.
i've driven around Woodstock nearly every day for over a year and I have never seen a checkpoint. Nonetheless, I'm not complaining about them keeping drunk drivers off the road.

Quote:
Koko - Woodstock's "downtown" is nice, but it only spans a single street, one block long. It's rarely worth visiting.
Except when there's a festival of some in going on, which is at least once a month. Free concerts in the park, friday nights, wine & art festival, halloween festival, etc. Not on the level you would find in Atlanta, but for a small town of 20,000 people it's very active. Far better than we ever had in Johns Creek (which is over 3 times the size).

I read a lot of posts like this: people complaining that Atlanta isn't like a "big" city. And that's true, because Atlanta isn't a big city. Don't expect it to be like one.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:16 PM

1,276 posts, read 1,834,601 times
Quote:
I will concede on the MARTA issue, as I am definitely no expert. My MARTA impressions come from being a very casual and infrequent rider, and flavored by the disappointment in the lack of light rail service to the outlying areas. Being new to ATL, I'm unaware of the politics and history behind it all. Would it be accurate to infer that the outlying counties had a racial agenda when they voted down extending MARTA service to their areas?
I rode MARTA nearly every day for over a year when I lived in Alpharetta and worked downtown. It suffers from a lack of accessibility. Even the stops ITP are hard to get to from the interstates. I rode it to be environmentally friendly and to reduce driving stress. It certainly didn't save me any time.

Crime on MARTA is not rampant, at least not during rush hour times and during the day.

There is a lot of political "NIMBY" that has hampered the growth of MARTA beyond Fulton and DeKalb counties. Racism may play a part but I think it has more to do with turfdom and giving up control over funding that would be required to gain its acceptance in Cobb and Gwinnett. They have always voted MARTA out and are trying to pursue mass transit solutions on their own.

Quote:
No, I don't miss the snow. I just get a good laugh out of the panic that sets in here when we get a little "dusting" of it.
That is hilarious, yes. I grew up in snow country and the "shock and awe" that just the threat of snow or ice instills is hilarious. But in their defense, it is very hard to get around when there's an inch of snow because local municipalities don't know how to remove it. They think that pouring sand on it will actually do some good.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:11 AM

271 posts, read 244,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
=
I know people that go to that church and I've never heard it called that. And yes, it is insanely large.

This is true of most suburbs anywhere. Hardly unique to Atlanta suburbs.

Similarly-sized? Oh come on!!!

New York has the largest population of any city in the country, by far. LA is second and Chicago is third. Atlanta is around #35 with not even 500,000 people. New York has over 8 million. Of course you won't have the same level of culture and activities as in any of the three largest cities in the country. But even without that world-class level I still manage to enjoy The High, the Atlanta Symphony, the botanical gardens, the Aquarium, the dogwood festival, shows at the Fox, and Cirque de Soleil when it comes to town. I took my daughters to see Cavalia last December, for example.
. . .
I read a lot of posts like this: people complaining that Atlanta isn't like a "big" city. And that's true, because Atlanta isn't a big city. Don't expect it to be like one.
This has been repeated ad nauseum, but you're drawing an unfair comparison as well. Atlanta may not be a supercity like NY, LA or even Chicago, but it is quite large and within the top 10 largest metros. (close to top 5, even) City-limits-only comparisons are unfair (Atlanta and Houston are peers, yet Houston is the fourth-largest city in the country, city-limits alone)

MARTA does quite well considering the lack of regional support, and hell, plain ridicule it gets from so many that live here. A quarter million trips a day are taken on the subway, and another quarter million on buses. No other southern city/metro comes CLOSE - not even Dallas with it's very impressive, regionally supported/funded and ever-expanding LRT system. (which covers much more of metro Dallas, yet hasn't even passed 70,000 trips a day)

---

My folks live in Woodstock, and my family moved there in 2000, where I began my junior year at Sequoyah. Everything seems and feels so ass-backwards up there, especially the roads. Having come from a small town in florida, I grew up being able to bike/walk downtown to the library, or convenience stores, or the local archery range. (lol) I couldn't imagine growing up my whole life in Woodstock or so many other places around Atlanta, having to depend completely on my mom/dad or other adults to cart me around when I wanted to go somewhere. Sidewalks are just about non existent, and distances that are a mile or two apart line-of-sight can take 5-10 miles to drive to, sometimes even more. It's exurban hell, I can't justify even calling it suburbia. (in most suburbs, walking/biking for a purpose other than recreation is at least possible, but it's impossible for almost anyone to walk anywhere out there)

I went to the mc-church out there for a few months too, a few years before theyd started building the superdome-4-christ. I'd never really enjoyed going to church, but that place downright sucked. Funny, too, because my brother saw his sunday school teacher from a decade ago bartending in Atlanta last month. Seems we weren't the only ones who woke up and smelled it for what it was...

Last edited by cabasse; 11-17-2010 at 12:25 AM..

Old 11-17-2010, 12:19 AM

8,354 posts, read 6,688,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reet4587 View Post
Young singles living in Cobb and Cherokee deserve to have their own versions of the hip intown ATL neighborhoods. You shouldn't have to move to the Old Fourth Ward to have a good singles life if you work in Marietta.
LOL LOL! Young singles DESERVE this? They should not "HAVE" to move?! ARE YOU FREAKIN' KIDDING ME?!

If you want HIP TRENDY INTOWN-TYPE NEIGHBORHOODS out in Cobb and Cherokee, you CREATE them ... nobody hands them to you.

What a great example you are REET4587 of the enormous "divide" that exists between YOUR generation and the rest of us, who realize YOU DO NOT "DESERVE" ANYTHING! You WORK for it.

SHEESH!

Old 11-17-2010, 12:47 AM

1,498 posts, read 1,703,748 times
Wait... you were surprised that Atlanta didn't compare well culturally to New York, Chicago, or San Francisco? Cultural attractions take time to build, especially in a city that was a sleepy southern backwater half a century ago. New York or Chicago may be a good comparison in 30 years, but not now. Atlanta fares pretty well for the Southeast and compared to Houston and Dallas. American Style Magazine ranked it 9 out of the top 10 big cities in America for the arts.

AmericanStyle Magazine | Top 25 Big Cities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta