U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2010, 12:39 PM

6,458 posts, read 7,259,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44709-30188-32459 View Post

The comment about "young singles deserve" was sad. That's our entitlement society for you...
Entitlement society? I don't think anyone is asking for a hand out here. Young, professional singles have money.

I can't speak for Reet, but for me I think it is more just frustration with how rapidly we have built Atlanta, but have paid little attention to regional planning and building good neighborhoods for all populations. The physical character of a city has an impact on the social lives of its people.

The bad thing about being young and single is we have to rely on the investments from previous generations. We don't have time to build things from scratch, while we are still young and single. This is true for all generations, so I am not trying to put down any generation in this regard, but singles life in the suburbs definitely feels more disconnected and scattered to me. I don't think think this is about entitlements as it is a commentary on our past development choices and some of the problems stemming from it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 01:52 PM

248 posts, read 543,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Entitlement society? I don't think anyone is asking for a hand out here. Young, professional singles have money.

I can't speak for Reet, but for me I think it is more just frustration with how rapidly we have built Atlanta, but have paid little attention to regional planning and building good neighborhoods for all populations. The physical character of a city has an impact on the social lives of its people.

The bad thing about being young and single is we have to rely on the investments from previous generations. We don't have time to build things from scratch, while we are still young and single. This is true for all generations, so I am not trying to put down any generation in this regard, but singles life in the suburbs definitely feels more disconnected and scattered to me. I don't think think this is about entitlements as it is a commentary on our past development choices and some of the problems stemming from it.
I think what I was driving at was this: when I was living in Cobb and Cherokee as a young adult in the 1980s-90s, we used to drive all the way down to central Atlanta for most (though certainly not all) of our arts/entertainment/nightlife needs.

It was a kinda-sorta decent scenario then, but with the population, land area and traffic of the metro all being increased in the following years, it doesn't work well anymore. I think it's more efficient to have something along the lines of 'complete neighborhoods' that allow for recreational needs of young singles to be met closer to home.

Someone mentioned Vinings and I think that's a good option these days that I didn't have back then. I'm sure there are others. I'm sorry to hear that Woodstock hasn't grown into a good option for young singles. I had high hopes with that downtown development of theirs -- it might just take some more time.

I think you're right that "singles life in the suburbs definitely feels more disconnected and scattered." I hope that is changing (and I think it probably is). It can't seem very attractive anymore to drive 20 miles through Friday night traffic to get to a nightlife scene in intown Atlanta.

Old 11-18-2010, 03:01 PM

1,498 posts, read 2,545,948 times
The only suburb that would ever get a nightlife scene would be Perimeter, only because of its central location, and its becoming more urban and has a lot of young professionals. But it has a long way to go.

Besides people who were raised in the sticks or are just lame, there is not much demand for nightlife in a place like Woodstock or Alpharetta. Sure, singles live in those apartments, but what kind of singles? Are they the "going out" type? And are there very many of them? They may just be happy with going to the local townie bar every weekend.

When people who are at least somewhat cool go out, they want to go to intown, where there's some action going on, lots of bars, lots of young people out. That type of scene is never going to come to Woodstock or any other far flung suburb. I wouldn't recommend a single professional to live in those areas, unless they were content with going to the local Derby every weekend.

Old 11-18-2010, 03:33 PM

426 posts, read 2,110,224 times
I would be suprised to see the perimeter area turn into any sort of nightlife spot. Sandy Springs and Dunwoody's incorporation ensure these cities focus will be on family lifestyle and business lifestyle. They seem to ignore the large young single demographic in various sections of their city limits. Just my take...

Old 11-18-2010, 03:48 PM

6,458 posts, read 7,259,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stvincent View Post
I would be suprised to see the perimeter area turn into any sort of nightlife spot. Sandy Springs and Dunwoody's incorporation ensure these cities focus will be on family lifestyle and business lifestyle. They seem to ignore the large young single demographic in various sections of their city limits. Just my take...
I agree.

However, I will give them credit for this... the Perimeter CID really is working towards building a walkable neighborhood. It has a long ways to go, but it could end up being a nice, walkable, more vibrant neighborhood later on. (I couldn't see nightclubs or bars moving in. But, they are building the public infrastructure a little better.

Old 11-18-2010, 04:43 PM

7,732 posts, read 11,769,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Uh, how much "culture" do you think there is in Panama City Beach or Destin??? Plenty of rednecks in the area. I think you'll be wishing you had Atlanta's attractions and restaurants after a year in that area.
This.

I really don't think it will take a year......

Last edited by johnatl; 11-18-2010 at 04:54 PM..

Old 11-18-2010, 04:53 PM

7,732 posts, read 11,769,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44709-30188-32459 View Post
I don't think that Atlanta compares well with smaller metro areas either, some examples being Cleveland and Columbus Ohio, Pittsburgh PA, Portland OR, Baltimore MD, and Nashville TN. One of the more disappointing aspects for me personally, has been the Atlanta Zoo and the Aquarium. Both are weak. The aquarium in particular has a very inflated reputation, but it doesn't begin to compare with Chattanooga's or Baltimore's. Size is the only thing it has going for it. In the collection, display quality, and general health and management departments, it falls short. OTOH, the Botanical Gardens are absolutely world class. Ticket prices for all three are exorbitant.
In all fairness, Cleveland has massive amounts of OLD money from its industrial heyday, despite its current status as a mere shell of its former self (I'm from there).

Columbus has had HUGE amounts of dollars thrown at its Zoo by Nationwide Insurance, who happens to be HQ'd there.

As far as Pittsburgh, Portland, Baltimore & Nashville - meh. Although I do enjoy the National Aquarium In Baltimore, I feel pretty much about it as you do ours - very inflated rep.

At least you do give credit to our absolutey world class Botanical Gardens.

Old 11-18-2010, 04:56 PM

1,498 posts, read 2,545,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stvincent View Post
I dunno, I think it could happen, but probably not for a decade or so. It would have to be low key, and of course they would be uber-uptight about what exactly was allowed in. No clubs, for sure. But maybe five bars all near each other. I don't know where it would go though - it would need to be an urban setting so people could walk from bar to bar easily.

But speaking of new nightlife spots, people have been going out in Brookhaven recently. I could see that area becoming an established nightlife spot pretty soon. There's some bars across from MARTA in the Mellow shopping center and one on Dresden.

Old 11-19-2010, 01:54 AM

133 posts, read 442,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
LOL LOL! Young singles DESERVE this? They should not "HAVE" to move?! ARE YOU FREAKIN' KIDDING ME?!

If you want HIP TRENDY INTOWN-TYPE NEIGHBORHOODS out in Cobb and Cherokee, you CREATE them ... nobody hands them to you.

What a great example you are REET4587 of the enormous "divide" that exists between YOUR generation and the rest of us, who realize YOU DO NOT "DESERVE" ANYTHING! You WORK for it.

SHEESH!
That's tellin' the little young whippersnapper!

Old 11-19-2010, 05:41 AM

188 posts, read 511,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
This.

I really don't think it will take a year......

Agreed. I have family in Gulf Breeze, which is sandwiched between Pensacola and Pensacola Beach. We visit their regularly. There are no people of color, no authentic ethnic restaurants, and virtually no cultural events. My teenage nieces drive 2-3 hours to shop because there aren't even decent malls down there. I went to a high school graduation 2 years ago. Out of a graduating class of several hundred, there was 1 Black, 1 Asian, and 1 Hispanic.

The Emerald Coast makes Woodstock look like the United Nations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or