U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2007, 01:09 PM

2 posts, read 7,416 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Atlanta in a few weeks with my husband I am having a difficult time trying to find a job as a Paralegal. I am certified and have two years experience, but it doesn't seem to matter. I have posted for over 50 jobs and interviewed with a staffing firm, but still nothing. I find a lot of job postings on craigslist, monster, ajc, careerbuilder, indeed but they don't usually tell you who you are applying with so you can't follow up with the company. How do you get your foot in the door? I am sure these law firms get 100s of resumes. How do you make yours stand out? I don't have any contacts to use. This is a very frusturating process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 09:10 AM

1 posts, read 3,540 times
Default Moving to Atlanta

I wish you good luck with the person who contacted you regarding looking for an experienced paralegal in personal injury.

Jobs in Atlanta, whether as a paralegal or a legal secretary, are hard to come by. Most of these recruiting agencies contact you so that you can sign up with them, but they do not have any jobs. Some of the jobs you apply to through their websites are non-existent. A lot of lawfirms in Atlanta are downsizing and outsourcing.

Again, good luck in Atlanta. (You're going to need it.)

Old 04-08-2008, 06:09 PM

313 posts, read 996,095 times
You know...my husband's job has relocated us numerous times over the yrs. When I was still working...before online job services became popular...I would look at the paper...but mostly I would go by places...I worked a number of different jobs from teaching preschool, retail and drs offices. You are already know what you would be doing, so I say...get a phone book and hit law offices around the area that you would be living when you get there...look sharp, professional, have resume in hand, and let your warm personality get you into the door. And if they dont have a position open...ask them about other law offices they may know who may need a paralegal. And network...as you meet new neighbors, as your husband starts his new job, if you go to church, any avenue where you meet new people let them know you are looking. If they have a newcomers group where you are...hit there and ask...you never know. And if the first time doesnt yield anything, be persistant and check back every month, if you dont find something by then. I still think people value getting a job the old fashion way...by meeting people who know people.

Hey, what about where you are coming from? Does your previous employer know any law firms in atlanta that they can put in a good word for you???

Maybe there might be temp agencies that cater to law offices...that could get your foot into the door too. Just think outside the box and be resourceful.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:45 AM

2 posts, read 4,752 times
My girlfriend is also having a hard time getting a paralegal job. She has a "Bachelors Degree in Advanced Paralegal Studies in Personal Injury" and "BA English with a concentration in Creative Writing" as well as a "BA History with a concentration in American History" She has been trying for months to try to get a job in Atlanta. But no success, not even interviews. Thought she has an amazing happy positive personality and a record of longetivty in any job she has had. Any help would be appreciated. As well as any feedback or opinions, or direction.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:08 AM

4 posts, read 8,225 times
Does she have experience in a particular type of law? If so, I'd suggest doing some research to find firms that specialize in it, and target those. The Business Chronicle has an annual 'book of lists' that ranks the largest firms, and lists their practice areas. The Fulton County Daily Report used to do an annual survey that might be helpful. I usually had good luck using legal placement firms, for both temp and permanent work (although that was several years ago).

Also, a lot of larger firms now are advertising their open positions directly on their own websites. And now that the summer's over and the summer law clerks have gone back to school, there may be some paralegal jobs available. Good luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or