Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 01:18 PM

1 posts, read 14,786 times

Advertisements

I am new to Georgia and I looking for a private school in Marietta, Lithia Springs, and Douglasville. Couldyou point me in the right direction?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 07:05 PM

29 posts, read 105,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerJones View Post
I am new to Georgia and I looking for a private school in Marietta, Lithia Springs, and Douglasville. Couldyou point me in the right direction?
I don't know but private school is a must in this town

Old 07-10-2007, 12:49 AM
fil

364 posts, read 1,626,995 times
In that area?? Not so much...

For Atlanta, the best private schools are Hebron Academy in Dacula, Paces Academy, and Woodward Academy.

1997 Atlanta's Top Private Schools: Atlanta's Top Private Schools - Atlanta Business Chronicle: (http://atlanta.bizjournals.com/atlanta/stories/1997/02/17/list.html - broken link)

Last edited by jxu66; 07-10-2007 at 04:52 AM..

Old 07-10-2007, 04:56 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,983 times
1997 data is very old...

try this website...

Atlanta Parent Online

and click on education guide

If you are looking for admission for this coming year, you must hurry, school starts in 5 weeks.

I would certainly have a list of 4 or 5, and you may be lucky to find a solid school that has space.

Old 07-10-2007, 02:47 PM

197 posts, read 776,851 times
Westminster, Lovitt, Padeia, Galloway, Pace, Woodward, Holy Innocence, Holy Spirit, Trinity..... but these are mostly intown

Old 07-10-2007, 03:06 PM

985 posts, read 5,757,044 times
The Walker School - Marietta, Georgia. Somebody in the past mentioned that's good school.

Old 07-10-2007, 07:04 PM

1 posts, read 14,681 times
The Westminster Schools in Atlanta is rated in the top 3 in the nation, and is by far the best school in the Southeast. This is widely known by all college admissions officers and is a fact.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:35 PM

739 posts, read 830,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gohawks View Post
The Westminster Schools in Atlanta is rated in the top 3 in the nation, and is by far the best school in the Southeast. This is widely known by all college admissions officers and is a fact.
That's a matter of opinion, not fact. Our daughter interviewed, was accepted, and turned it down in favor of Holy Innocents.

Old 07-11-2007, 12:53 AM

481 posts, read 2,821,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gohawks View Post
Yet, most of it's graduates go to UGA. This year, they sent a whopping 9 students to GA Tech, the 4th most popular college choice. (several times less than the number of Tech-bound students from any of the public schools in north metro Atlanta).

No offense, it's a extremely good school and they spend a hell of a lot of money on their students (more than any other school in the country), but it's not a fact that it's the absolute greatest school ever conceived. What is a fact is that more Westminster students end up at UGA and Virginia than anywhere, two colleges than any given public school in north metro Atlanta send over twice as many students to per year, or three times as many in the case of UGA. Westminster offers 26 AP exams. Walton High, a public school, offers 32 AP courses. Last year Westminster students took 900 AP exams; Walton students took over 2000 AP exams. Westminster posted an average SAT score of 1380 out of 1600 with around 200 test takers. The top 20% of Walton, which corresponds to around 250 test takers, posted an average SAT score of 1387. The top 10% of Walton test-takers, which is over half of the entire SAT-taking population of Westminster, posted an average of 1520 out of 1600. Westminster had a higher percentage of students passing AP Exams. Westminster also had a higher average amount of AP Exams taken per student. I'm not saying one school is better (that's an opinion), but you can't just flat out say Westminster is the best in everything no questions asked because as you can see, there are many different aspects of what makes up a good school. And these are just a bunch of test statistics, we haven't even looked at extracurriculars, community involvement, sports, music, and all sorts of stuff, or even the many other private schools like Paces.

Besides, Westminster isn't exactly for everybody. Unless your white, republican and extremely Christian I would highly recommend against it, no matter how good it is. If white, republic, and extremely Christian is what you want, then go for it.

Last edited by GF72; 07-11-2007 at 02:01 AM..

Old 07-11-2007, 09:23 AM

340 posts, read 1,576,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GF72 View Post
Westminster offers 26 AP exams. Walton High, a public school, offers 32 AP courses. Last year Westminster students took 900 AP exams; Walton students took over 2000 AP exams. Westminster posted an average SAT score of 1380 out of 1600 with around 200 test takers. The top 20% of Walton, which corresponds to around 250 test takers, posted an average SAT score of 1387. The top 10% of Walton test-takers, which is over half of the entire SAT-taking population of Westminster, posted an average of 1520 out of 1600. Westminster had a higher percentage of students passing AP Exams. Westminster also had a higher average amount of AP Exams taken per student. I'm not saying one school is better (that's an opinion), but you can't just flat out say Westminster is the best in everything no questions asked because as you can see, there are many different aspects of what makes up a good school. And these are just a bunch of test statistics, we haven't even looked at extracurriculars, community involvement, sports, music, and all sorts of stuff, or even the many other private schools like Paces.

Besides, Westminster isn't exactly for everybody. Unless your white, republican and extremely Christian I would highly recommend against it, no matter how good it is. If white, republic, and extremely Christian is what you want, then go for it.
We don't want to compare apples and oranges. By nature, these two schools are different in student population. Westminister has all students from rich families, while students at Walton high are from rich or average families with high IQ which money can't buy. Students who are accepted by Westminister are not automaticly accepted by Walton. Walton's IB program is for top students which Westminister doesn't have. SAT scores, particulary SAT II scores reflect true quality of students in high school study. A school may be good with money, but the school may not have the best student population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta