U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-16-2010, 04:20 PM
 
1,498 posts, read 2,553,290 times
Reputation: 550

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
so does atlanta still need that non-black mayor, bringbackcobain?
Yes. Meeting with the prince wont do anything to change Atlanta's reputation in mainstream America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-16-2010, 04:35 PM
 
Location: ITP - City of Atlanta Proper
7,807 posts, read 11,776,335 times
Reputation: 5422
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Yes. Meeting with the prince wont do anything to change Atlanta's reputation in mainstream America.
1. This trip was more than just meeting with the Prince of Wales. It turns out it's to work out plans on a major redevelopment in the city.

2. Who cares what "mainstream America" thinks about Atlanta? If "they" don't like what we are as a city, tough. I'm more interested in a Mayor who does things to make this city a better place to live. After being in office less than a year, it's clear that Mayor Reed is that kind of mayor and will be in the upper echelons of Atlanta mayors the likes of Hartsfield, Allen and Jackson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2010, 04:40 PM
 
1,498 posts, read 2,553,290 times
Reputation: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
1. This trip was more than just meeting with the Prince of Wales. It turns out it's to work out plans on a major redevelopment in the city.

2. Who cares what "mainstream America" thinks about Atlanta? If "they" don't like what we are as a city, tough. I'm more interested in a Mayor who does things to make this city a better place to live. After being in office less than a year, it's clear that Mayor Reed is that kind of mayor and will be in the upper echelons of Atlanta mayors the likes of Hartsfield, Allen and Jackson.
The trip is a big deal, Reed is a good mayor, but that still does nothing for our reputation.

If you care about Atlanta, then you should care about our reputation. It affects the quality of the people moving here, the engine of our economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2010, 05:06 PM
 
Location: America
5,098 posts, read 7,371,061 times
Reputation: 1919
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
The trip is a big deal, Reed is a good mayor, but that still does nothing for our reputation.

If you care about Atlanta, then you should care about our reputation. It affects the quality of the people moving here, the engine of our economy.
right. because it's just so terrible to have atlanta viewed as a city where blacks have a lot of power
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2010, 06:31 PM
 
7,113 posts, read 8,144,994 times
Reputation: 1777
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Ok, last update....

It appears that the Prince is interested in redeveloping and investing in the Vine City and English Ave area:
I wonder what approach they want to take? Follow what model? I just can't see a Poundbury approach working in Vine City and English Avenue. Poundbury is an experimental village built on the outskirts of Dorchester. A village built in what otherwise is a suburb. What we are talking about in Atlanta is an inner city redevelopment. The area has already been targeted for redevelopment so is this just to continue that?

The Techwood homes redevelopment seems to have worked. Definitely better than it was. But still Techwood seems so blah. It has about as much character as any apartment development.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2010, 06:41 PM
 
7,113 posts, read 8,144,994 times
Reputation: 1777
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I really don't think previous administrations did that. Since the days of Ivan Allen Jr., all of the Atlanta mayors (save Campbell who was more interested in padding his wallet) have put a focus on elevating the city and connecting it to the global market place. Reed is just putting that effort into overdrive. I mean, did you really think we got the Olympics "just because"?

Edit:

And do you have any examples of any previous administration doing what you accused them of? The whole "Black Mecca" thing has been fueled by individuals, not the city government.
I was very surprised by the Olympics win. I guess Atlanta did a good job of convincing the committee that Atlanta had the infrastructure, money, community support, and emphasized our diversity. Young did a good job selling it, but Jackson for some reason didn't want to be mayor for the games. The job was his for the taking and yet he declined. I don't think the games went as well as Barcelona which had, from what I am told, a fantastic atmosphere. Atlanta did the best it could in the short time it had, for example Centennial Park. European towns are definitely much more livable.

As for the "Black Mecca" stuff, I think that was mostly due to mayor Campbell. I'm so glad he's gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2010, 10:45 PM
 
Location: ITP - City of Atlanta Proper
7,807 posts, read 11,776,335 times
Reputation: 5422
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
I wonder what approach they want to take? Follow what model? I just can't see a Poundbury approach working in Vine City and English Avenue. Poundbury is an experimental village built on the outskirts of Dorchester. A village built in what otherwise is a suburb. What we are talking about in Atlanta is an inner city redevelopment. The area has already been targeted for redevelopment so is this just to continue that?

The Techwood homes redevelopment seems to have worked. Definitely better than it was. But still Techwood seems so blah. It has about as much character as any apartment development.
I certainly agree. Simply just redoing the Poundbury experiment won't work because it was basically from scratch. However, the principles that went into it could be integrated in an urban environment.

The Centennial Place model won't be a good option because, while it has been mostly successful, it lacked a major economic component for the residents of the neighborhood. While there is plenty of options to the south and north of Centennial Place there is nothing literally in the middle. Additionally, a redevelopment project such as Atlantic Station wouldn't work as that is a purely economic venture...for the developer.

Now something like the Glenwood Park redevelopment, adjusted to cater to working and middle class people, would be perfect.

What shape it takes I can not say at this point, but I'm sure they are already aware of the challenges such a project faces and willing to be in this for the long haul. After all, this is being spearheaded on one end by the Prince of Wales, he has no bottom line to meet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2010, 06:43 AM
 
274 posts, read 746,756 times
Reputation: 187
Look !!!!!!! lets get to the really important news :> ................

Is the mayor going to go to the wedding ????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2010, 09:02 PM
 
Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,459,754 times
Reputation: 349
Here is a solid article in the most recent Creative Loating about The English Avenue neighborhood due west of Midtown/Downtown Atlanta.


What to do about English Avenue?
What to do about English Avenue? | Opinion | Creative Loafing Atlanta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2010, 09:14 PM
 
Location: International Spacestation
5,207 posts, read 5,986,766 times
Reputation: 1415
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Yes. Meeting with the prince wont do anything to change Atlanta's reputation in mainstream America.
F! America its time to go global. F! The Mainstream as well. I know how I feel about Atlanta to many degrees, What the US thinks is really not the truth anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top