U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 04:40 AM

6,561 posts, read 7,641,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Your exact words were "The area downtown is rapidly becoming a destination center for conventions and business meetings" which is absolutely 100 percent false. The hotels, sports arenas and meeting facilities in downtown Atlanta have made this the nation's 3rd or 4th largest convention market for 30+ years running. What is NEW downtown are the host of attractions that you mentioned, which have rapidly made downtown a true *TOURIST* destination and are complements to the city's attractiveness as a major convention city, NOT the reason for it. Just trying to set your facts straight.
Anyone can tell that is an up and coming destination center, which is exactly what I was talking about if you read the whole context of what I was saying. That is why I mentioned the park and the museums along with that statement. Previously it was a large growing convention center on the edge of downtown, but it further away from hotels, the area wasn't as nice, and there were fewer things to do. Now it is much more of a destination center and not just a big convention hall. I am really sorry if you couldn't put two and two together.

Perhaps I could have chosen better words, but at the end of the day this thread was meant to be short, easy, and light hearted to help a visitor out. Maintaining a hospitable environment can go a long way.

Your maturity is shining nice and brightly yet again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 05:54 AM

2,047 posts, read 3,958,695 times
I live in Dunwoody and it's a lovely area. Your hotel is over by Perimeter Mall and there are plenty of places to dine there. If you want to venture out just the tiniest bit, my favorite restaurant is Co'm Cóm Grill. It's a Vietnamese/French grill and absolutely divine. The prices are reasonable and the atmosphere is delightful.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:20 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,338,543 times
Quote:
HUH?! The downtown area has been a "destination center for conventions and business meetings" for going on 40 years ... Since the creation of the Merchandise Mart, Peachtree Center hotel complex, World Congress Center and Omni International in the early 1970s.

HELLO?! Where have you been?

TO THE OP -- Dunwoody is VERY nice; think RESTON or TYSON'S CORNER in VA. A good place to stay, plenty of great restaurants, upscale shopping, and the MARTA ride into the city will be fun. There will be many other fans going to the SEC game with you -- a very festive atmosphere. You may even run into people you know. Seriously. Last year on the night of the SEC game the trains were JAM PACKED and the crowds in a good mood. It was also very cold so be prepared. It's a pretty good hike from the CNN Center staton to the Dome, plus the Dunwoody station is open and elevated. BRRR when the wind blows.

Thanks, Newsboy -- yes, I know the Reston/Tysons areas very well. We're really looking forward to this visit and hope there'll be lots of GAMECOCK fans to cheer along with (whether we win or lose, it's great to make it this far!) Thanks for the weather tip, too. I was thinking of dressing light since you're further south and the Georgia Dome is covered but I guess we better plan on layers.

Also, thanks to RoslynHolcomb -- That looks like a wonderful restaurant. We have a car so venturing out is fine. We will be in Friday night for dinner so that looks interesting.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:18 AM

2,583 posts, read 3,718,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Anyone can tell that is an up and coming destination center, which is exactly what I was talking about if you read the whole context of what I was saying. That is why I mentioned the park and the museums along with that statement. Previously it was a large growing convention center on the edge of downtown, but it further away from hotels, the area wasn't as nice, and there were fewer things to do. Now it is much more of a destination center and not just a big convention hall. I am really sorry if you couldn't put two and two together.

Perhaps I could have chosen better words, but at the end of the day this thread was meant to be short, easy, and light hearted to help a visitor out. Maintaining a hospitable environment can go a long way.

Your maturity is shining nice and brightly yet again
The real question is why has it taken at least 40 years to start taking baby steps towards creating a decent downtown?

Old 11-18-2010, 11:09 AM

29,259 posts, read 26,193,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
The real question is why has it taken at least 40 years to start taking baby steps towards creating a decent downtown?
Downtown boosters have been hammering away for 60 years. That's why we have stuff downtown like the government buildings, the MARTA crossroads, the big sports and entertainment venues, the Georgia State expansion, etc., etc. There is no place in the state Georgia that has enjoyed anything near support from the government, private and institutional sectors that Downtown Atlanta has received.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:17 PM

6,561 posts, read 7,641,569 times
I think one problem Downtown has is it is not longer the geographic center point of population in the region. Most of the growth has been to the northern suburbs. This makes areas like Midtown and Buckhead, and Perimeter more accessible to many people. Buckhead and Midtown have had higher Class A office rents than downtown recently. The bad thing about this for downtown is it gives incentives for new investment and office developments to go further north where there are higher rent rates.

But... Ivan Plaza is off to a good start. Centennial Park is attracting new hotels and the museums have been great. The area near GWCC is increasingly looking nicer and nicer.

I will be very interested in what is said about Vine City development going forward, since GWCC is like a giant barrier on the westside of downtown.

I also think if we build commuter rail lines and the Multi-modal transportation hub Downtown will become more successful at attracting more investment, since it can improve access.

Old 11-18-2010, 02:04 PM

10,005 posts, read 9,285,783 times
Chill, dude. He was making a good point. That area has been a destination center, but, obviously it is becoming much more so. He was not wrong. Perhaps you may have never failed to type exactly what you meant to see in exactly the right way, but most of us don't have such infallible skills. Geez.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:10 PM

13,420 posts, read 16,882,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Thanks, Newsboy -- yes, I know the Reston/Tysons areas very well. We're really looking forward to this visit and hope there'll be lots of GAMECOCK fans to cheer along with (whether we win or lose, it's great to make it this far!) Thanks for the weather tip, too. I was thinking of dressing light since you're further south and the Georgia Dome is covered but I guess we better plan on layers.
Given the close proximity to this year's SEC teams -- South Carolina and Auburn -- the city should be jam packed with fans. Who would have thought THOSE two teams would be playing for the SEC title at the start of the season?!

Old 11-18-2010, 06:35 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,338,543 times
Quote:
Given the close proximity to this year's SEC teams -- South Carolina and Auburn -- the city should be jam packed with fans. Who would have thought THOSE two teams would be playing for the SEC title at the start of the season?!
LOL! Only us true believers! And, of course, that's also why we're going -- never know how long it will be until it occurs again!

And, I'm hoping Auburn keeps winning until December 4 -- somebody's got to beat them and I'm hoping it is South Carolina! I also hope Cam Newton plays because if he doesn't and we win, people will say the only reason we won is that he didn't play.

But win or lose, we're happy to be going and we intend to have a lot of fun in Atlanta!

Old 11-18-2010, 06:40 PM

13,420 posts, read 16,882,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
LOL! Only us true believers! And, of course, that's also why we're going -- never know how long it will be until it occurs again!

And, I'm hoping Auburn keeps winning until December 4 -- somebody's got to beat them and I'm hoping it is South Carolina! I also hope Cam Newton plays because if he doesn't and we win, people will say the only reason we won is that he didn't play.

But win or lose, we're happy to be going and we intend to have a lot of fun in Atlanta!
Auburn still has to beat the defending National Champions Alabama Crimson Tide, which is going to be tough. As for CAM NEWTON, there is still a lot of speculation out there as to wether he's even eligible, and if proven not, this entire season will be forfeited by Auburn. HE HE HE HE HE HE! But yes, I can understand why you'd want to beat the Tigers on legitimate terms after the season the Gamecocks have had. It hurt that my Dawgs lost to you guys, but that clobbering you gave to the Gators was sweet. (But I still hate Steve Spurrier with a passion LOL!)

As for having fun in Atlanta, I highly recommend you take the time to do some of the touristy stuff downtown -- take in the CNN Center tour, or the Georgia Aquarium or even the World of Coke. If you only had time for one, I'd recommend the Aquarium. UNFORGETTABLE experience!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta