U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 07:15 PM

3,632 posts, read 5,018,041 times

Advertisements

Awww, come on, Alabama's not so tough (remember, we beat 'em 35-21!! )

Seriously, though, I doubt they'd do anything about Cam Newton and Auburn before our game on December 4. But if they did, would LSU get bumped up to play us? I'm never real clear on all the legalities.

And re Steve Spurrier . . . he's not the most charming . . . but if he can get us to Championships, he's okay with me! Of course, Marcus Lattimore has added a lot of excitement -- he is awesome.

Re Atlanta, unfortunately, we've only got Friday-Sunday with the game taking up most of Saturday. This was a last minute decision to go (and ouch, those Stubhub ticket prices) so there's not much time.

But thanks for the suggestions; we'll do our best to pump some tourist tax dollars in Georgia's economy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 07:23 PM

7,732 posts, read 11,771,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Anyone can tell that is an up and coming destination center, which is exactly what I was talking about if you read the whole context of what I was saying. That is why I mentioned the park and the museums along with that statement. Previously it was a large growing convention center on the edge of downtown, but it further away from hotels, the area wasn't as nice, and there were fewer things to do. Now it is much more of a destination center and not just a big convention hall. I am really sorry if you couldn't put two and two together.

Perhaps I could have chosen better words, but at the end of the day this thread was meant to be short, easy, and light hearted to help a visitor out. Maintaining a hospitable environment can go a long way.

Your maturity is shining nice and brightly yet again
cwkimbro - I really think you should give Newsboy a break here. Everything he stated is true, just as what you stated was.

We take a LOT of grief from people on C-D that claim there was never anything down there until very recently, and it just isn't true. The major infrastructure for our convention industry has been in place for decades.

But you are right - in the past several years, that area has improved in ways I really never could have imagined 15 or so years ago, let alone the past five. I never in my wildest dreams could have ever pictured the park and all the new development that the Olympics caused to occur.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:37 PM

2,564 posts, read 3,587,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Downtown boosters have been hammering away for 60 years. That's why we have stuff downtown like the government buildings, the MARTA crossroads, the big sports and entertainment venues, the Georgia State expansion, etc., etc. There is no place in the state Georgia that has enjoyed anything near support from the government, private and institutional sectors that Downtown Atlanta has received.
It's the little things that make life worth living.

I can appreciate all that stuff but I just don't understand why almost everything closes at 6pm. It's be nice to have a couple nice restaurants with patios along Broad Street and a couple other areas. I just wish it had something us locals could enjoy besides sporting events.

Old 11-30-2010, 03:20 PM

One more question -- what are the parking options around the Georgia Dome? Thanks.

Old 11-30-2010, 03:33 PM

196 posts, read 151,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Good morning,

We will be visiting Atlanta for the SEC Championship game. We have booked a hotel in Dunwoody and plan to take the Marta in for the game at the Georgia Dome. We know very little about Atlanta.

Is that a safe part of town and subway route?
You picked about the best spot possible.

Quote:
With all the horror stories about bed bugs, has anyone heard of problems at the Courtyard by Marriott?
No, but in Dunwoody? I'd be amazed if you had any problems.

Quote:
Any suggestions for a nice restaurant in Dunwoody?
You can't go wrong! I haven't had a bad meal there yet.

Quote:
We are really looking forward to visiting!

Thank you.

Old 11-30-2010, 03:36 PM

196 posts, read 151,352 times
Quote:
One more question -- what are the parking options around the Georgia Dome? Thanks.
I thought you were taking the MARTA? I'd go ahead with that plan if possible.

There is plenty of parking around for $10. And some of the best lots are closest, so if you drive, that's the price you want.

Old 11-30-2010, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slambango View Post
I thought you were taking the MARTA? I'd go ahead with that plan if possible.

There is plenty of parking around for $10. And some of the best lots are closest, so if you drive, that's the price you want.

Husband and I are going to stay in Dunwoody and take the MARTA in.

Daughter is coming from Columbia with friends. They have school lottery vouchers for the tickets which they have to get at the GeorgiaDome. (That way they can't scalp them!) They have to cash them in together in order to sit together.

Anyway, the kids are coming in multiple cars and parking downtown.

At the end, she's staying over with us as the friends head back to Columbia. So, her car will be parked downtown. I'm concerned about security/safety -- Mom's always worry because kids think they are invincible!

Thanks for all the suggestions from everyone!

Old 12-01-2010, 06:15 AM

2,642 posts, read 7,238,627 times
I'd advise she drive over to your hotel and park there, friends and all. Take MARTA to and from the game. It will be hell getting in and out of the city by car that day. But from Dunwooody they can hop on 285 and head back to Columbia. It will be easier, less stressful, and safer.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:40 AM

9,004 posts, read 16,139,085 times
^^^^ Just what I was thinking... Will add maybe 10 min to there drive to get to your hotel. After the game they can come back and chill have dinner then head back,

Old 12-01-2010, 06:47 AM

2,642 posts, read 7,238,627 times
Even if they wanted to hang out in the city for a bit more and check out the nightlife they're better off taking MARTA. There's some nightlife downtown but it's an easy MARTA ride to check out other areas. And then back to Dunwoody and you won't have to worry about anyone drinking and driving.

As limited as MARTA is, it's still very useful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta