Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 10:40 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,395,297 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious---

I don't know if this area is considered 'Midtown' but it seems to be rejuvenating--now has a Walmart and a new shopping center with Petco and Office Depot or something like that and several restaurants.

Does anyone have FYI?

TIA

sls
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2007, 10:48 AM

1,517 posts, read 6,715,779 times
It's hot and definitely on the upswing. Still kinda sketchy in areas...you need to be a bit of a pioneer to live in some areas...especially around Marietta and Bolton Streets. Check out brockbuilt communities. He's a true pioneer of urban developments in areas badly in need of revitalization. They're doing a lot from Howell Mill down toward Marietta street. Lots of lofts. Can't say if it's a good investment now but probably in five years the place will be hopping. It's prime undeveloped territory close to midtown and downtown. The retail development you're talking about is right off of 75 headed South. To the left is Collier Hills which is very exclusive, older homes and nice residential areas. To the right is the area I'm talking about.

Old 06-18-2007, 10:57 AM

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettea1 View Post
It's hot and definitely on the upswing. Still kinda sketchy in areas...you need to be a bit of a pioneer to live in some areas...especially around Marietta and Bolton Streets. Check out brockbuilt communities. He's a true pioneer of urban developments in areas badly in need of revitalization. They're doing a lot from Howell Mill down toward Marietta street. Lots of lofts. Can't say if it's a good investment now but probably in five years the place will be hopping. It's prime undeveloped territory close to midtown and downtown. The retail development you're talking about is right off of 75 headed South. To the left is Collier Hills which is very exclusive, older homes and nice residential areas. To the right is the area I'm talking about.
I'll have to drive around (try not to get lost) and take another look.

I noticed an interesting brunch place/restaurant as I was driving by one day and a couple of other places to eat that looked good.

For years--Howell Mill was just where the water treatment facility was ...

Glad things are looking up for the area.

sls

Old 06-18-2007, 11:01 AM

Octane is a great coffee place and there's some egg restaurant (the name escapes me) that has really yummy cupcakes. Oh, and free wifi.

Old 06-18-2007, 01:14 PM

1,088 posts, read 6,323,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettea1 View Post
there's some egg restaurant (the name escapes me) that has really yummy cupcakes.
West Egg Cafe.

There are other awesome little places back there. Urban Grind, Taqueria Del Sol and Nuevo Laredo are all favorites of mine.

Old 06-18-2007, 02:02 PM

Yep, that's it!

Old 06-18-2007, 02:10 PM

I found this--(the shopping center is called 'The District')

The Westside

Atlanta's hottest new retail and restaurant destination is located in a collection of renovated warehouses and other motley buildings in what was essentially an industrial section of town. The Westside, not to be confused with Buckhead's West Village, started out as a small, pioneering group of home furnishings stores, artists' studios, and antiques shops. The area gained instant legitimacy when Bacchanalia, one of Atlanta's most honored restaurants, decided to move there from its Buckhead home. Since then, the district has attracted two casual restaurants, an art gallery, a garden center, two furniture stores, and a handful of retail shops, with the promise of more to come. Four times a year, there's a small outdoor festival featuring upscale antiques, clothing, art, produce, and refreshments. Call tel. 770/481-0280 for dates and admission prices to the market.

If you want to eat at Bacchanalia, which is now open for lunch, be sure to call well in advance for reservations. You can, however, stop in at Mondo, an upscale sandwich shop and bakery, or grab lunch at Taqueria del Sol.

To reach the Westside, take I-75/85 from downtown, exit at Fourteenth Street, take Fourteenth Street west to Howell Mill Road, turn right, and go to the intersection of Howell Mill and Huff roads. Don't miss the additional stores on Foster Street, about a block down Huff Road, but note that the artists' studios at the end of the street are not open to the public. (And please don't feed the goats and chickens grazing in front of the studios.) Take MARTA to the Arts Center station to reach this area.

Old 06-18-2007, 02:31 PM

Don't forget FIGO for Pasta. There are a few locations. I like the one in the Bacchanalia center.

Old 08-01-2007, 08:45 PM

9 posts, read 38,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhs119 View Post
I'm just curious---

I don't know if this area is considered 'Midtown' but it seems to be rejuvenating--now has a Walmart and a new shopping center with Petco and Office Depot or something like that and several restaurants.

Does anyone have FYI?

TIA

sls
Huff Rd is about to explode. Brock Built has their new West Town Mixed Use development. Gables, Perinial Properties, TCR and a few other developers are each doing apartment and mixed use developments as well. I think the White provisions renovation is going to eventually connect over to Westside Market with a small foot bridge.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:19 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,660,287 times
Well, I don't think any area is going to explode with the inventory of condos/townhomes, which with the exception of 'lofts' is what would go into this area.

Howell Mill area is full of Industrial Parks and what not, not exactly an area you can just plop down a new neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta