U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2010, 10:32 AM

118 posts, read 253,514 times

Advertisements

I heard that people are more into having family time etc, value their time down south... but sounds like from this board that is not true? they work as much as up north?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 10:51 AM

2,564 posts, read 3,589,349 times
Some do, some don't. I think that's more of an individual thing rather than overall cultural thing. The rural and suburban north is probably just as family oriented as the rural and suburban south. Cities however tend to have a higher percentage of young professionals who are trying to get somewhere in their careers and don't have as many family obligations. Also, there just tends to be more work needing to be done in a busy city like Atlanta or Boston rather than a smaller city so I wouldn't say urban southerners work any less than urban northerners.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:51 AM

8,862 posts, read 14,395,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike7300 View Post
I heard that people are more into having family time etc, value their time down south... but sounds like from this board that is not true? they work as much as up north?
There are certainly many people, hopefully, the majority of those who live here that endeavor to have balanced lives.

Here's one example of life in Atlanta>>>
http://www.decaturga.com/

and
http://www.dunwoodyga.gov/splash.aspx

Just to name 2.

Last edited by TakeAhike; 11-18-2010 at 11:04 AM..

Old 11-18-2010, 10:52 AM

28,146 posts, read 24,679,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike7300 View Post
Well, the conventional wisdom in Atanta is that we work a lot harder than anybody, but I suspect every part of the country feels that way.

Just about all major corporations and agencies started opening Atlanta branch offices in the 1920s and during the last 50 years many have moved their headquarters here. So if you've got a job in Atlanta working for Porsche, Home Depot, UPS, CNN, Delta, etc., you'll be putting in the same hours as your counterparts elsewhere.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:01 AM

12,918 posts, read 21,003,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I'm certainly not being argumentative but what does "fast-paced" mean? For example, restaurant service is no slower in Atlanta, and people certainly don't walk, jog, drive, talk or return email or phone calls slower. I don't think we work less or piddle around more. The trains and buses and airplanes all stick to their schedules. And it's hard to think of Atlanta nightlife, news reports, policemen, construction crews or anything else as being slower than their counterparts in Boston.

What's the diff?
When I think of "fast-paced," I'm thinking more of how people and institutions approach the day-to-day routine and goings-on. How rushed people and things are...in an extreme hurry (or not), patience-factor, "pep in the step" (or not), etc., etc.

It's a general feel type of thing. Not one is good or bad--all depends on preference.

More clarity achieved?

Old 11-18-2010, 11:02 AM

1,342 posts, read 1,213,258 times
Well, I grew up in suburb of Boston and can tell you that Atlanta is very different-

-There are very few, if any, safe places for college students to hang out, I really miss the pub atmosphere in the Quincy Market area of Boston.

-There is a lot less focus on education and higher learning. It shows. (Despite the state of GA being among the lowest in education, it's still difficult to find quality schools in ATL) The only time people actually care about universities is during football season.

-For much of the area, a ghetto is only 1 or 2 streets down from a nice area. Atlanta is very 'spotty'.

- Venturing outside of Atlanta and its suburbs will get you into 'Deliverance-land' quickly.

-Nobody uses public transportation. Marta is NOT the T. Marta's main function is moving homeless and criminals around the city.

-While much of Atlanta proper is a 'blue' area, much pervading local intolerances about other races, immigrants, and cultures dominate the area. This is a huge RED state. Be prepared to deal with people who don't think twice about scraping roadkill off the road and taking it home. (They call it field-dressing).

Unless you're talking about college football, no one cares about their pro sports teams here. (Compared to fervent Red Sox, Pats, and Bruins fans) Thrashers games are finally getting big, but again nowhere near what you would expect.

-Race is a HUGE issue here, brought into everything. It's honestly ridiculous.

On the other hand, people are generally more pleasant (to your face anyway), and the speed of life a bit slower (minus driving in Atlanta). Taxes and cost of living is MUCH lower and we rarely see snow. Oh, what we call a 'dusting' is enough to close schools here. I'm not kidding.

Granted, some people from around here may disagree with me on these points, but I present them as someone who has spent equal parts of her life living in Boston and Atlanta.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
More clarity achieved?
Well, a little. Regarding the "rush-rush" or patience factors or pep-in-the-step I don't sense any real difference between Boston and Atlanta.

Between NYC and Atlanta, absolutely. But to me Boston also feels pretty laid back compared to New York.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post
Be prepared to deal with people who don't think twice about scraping roadkill off the road and taking it home. (They call it field-dressing).
That's pretty harsh. Most of us in the 10 core counties will only eat fresh roadkill.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:24 AM

118 posts, read 253,514 times
I heard there are bars that show the boston sports games so that works for me Not many places around the country are as passionate about their sports teams like Boston.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:44 AM

2,564 posts, read 3,589,349 times
Let me just make a few comments here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post
Well, I grew up in suburb of Boston and can tell you that Atlanta is very different-

-There are very few, if any, safe places for college students to hang out, I really miss the pub atmosphere in the Quincy Market area of Boston. I will have to agree with this. We don't have an area like Harvard Square or anything like that. The closest thing we do have is Emory Village which is nothing more than a strip mall with a couple hangouts. There isn't any area of town which draws a significant amount of college students which is sad considering how many we have in this city.

-There is a lot less focus on education and higher learning. It shows. (Despite the state of GA being among the lowest in education, it's still difficult to find quality schools in ATL) The only time people actually care about universities is during football season. I wouldn't go that far(saying Atlantans don't care about education) but it is true that Boston has more academic clout than Atlanta. Of course it has more than just about any other city in the U.S. I will concede your point that our public education system is lacking.

-For much of the area, a ghetto is only 1 or 2 streets down from a nice area. Atlanta is very 'spotty'. This is true and something that has always bugged me about this city. Atlanta has some gorgeous areas right next to some very scary areas. A lot of the area south of I 20 ITP is downright depressing.

- Venturing outside of Atlanta and its suburbs will get you into 'Deliverance-land' quickly. Deliverance-land is actually pretty nice. If all you got from that movie/book was that rural Georgians are backwards rapists then you should probably give it another shot. And, rednecks are everywhere.

-Nobody uses public transportation. Marta is NOT the T. Marta's main function is moving homeless and criminals around the city. I will agree that it's not that great of a system and I wish more people did use it. A lot of people turn their nose up at it. However, I used it last night and I'm neither homeless nor a criminal.

-While much of Atlanta proper is a 'blue' area, much pervading local intolerances about other races, immigrants, and cultures dominate the area. This is a huge RED state. Be prepared to deal with people who don't think twice about scraping roadkill off the road and taking it home. (They call it field-dressing). That's just ridiculous hyperbole. Yes it's true that Georgia is as red as can be, that doesn't mean those folks are completely ignorant and backwards. Just because I disagree with someones politics I don't feel the need to denigrate them.

Unless you're talking about college football, no one cares about their pro sports teams here. (Compared to fervent Red Sox, Pats, and Bruins fans) Thrashers games are finally getting big, but again nowhere near what you would expect. Not quite. Compared to northeastern cities, we are a bit weak in our support but you can't say we don't care. Considering that most of the people who live in this city are transplants we do pretty well. And this being the south, is it really a surprise that hockey teams struggle for recognition? After all, I am still more interested in the sports I played as a kid and hockey wasn't an option. I think most people are.

-Race is a HUGE issue here, brought into everything. It's honestly ridiculous. I will agree that race pops up more than it should but I've heard the Boston isn't exactly "kumbaya-land" when it comes to racial harmony.

On the other hand, people are generally more pleasant (to your face anyway), and the speed of life a bit slower (minus driving in Atlanta). Taxes and cost of living is MUCH lower and we rarely see snow. Oh, what we call a 'dusting' is enough to close schools here. I'm not kidding. Yeah, we can't handle snow down here.

Granted, some people from around here may disagree with me on these points, but I present them as someone who has spent equal parts of her life living in Boston and Atlanta. I just wanted to throw in my two cents as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or