U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 02:04 PM

9,586 posts, read 8,670,246 times

Advertisements

Agreed Johnatl. I am flabbergasted that a poster would state that "it's still difficult to find quality schools in ATL." Georgia Tech is the nation's 4th ranked engineering school, UGA (though in Athens) a top 20 public university and Georgia State a very well respected institution, not to mention Emory, Morehouse, etc. JC84 really should get out of Carrollton sometimes... Geez...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 02:39 PM

118 posts, read 253,935 times
Are there any horse stables in Atlanta? There are none up here in the city, and i would like to buy a horse and go horseback riding there.

Old 11-18-2010, 02:43 PM

9,586 posts, read 8,670,246 times
Yes, there are. Many stables right outside of the city, and several fairly close in.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:11 PM

1,342 posts, read 1,216,001 times
Default Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
Hey, atleast we know how to pronounce chowder. We dont call it chowwwdaahh.
..But saying it like that just makes it taste better!

Old 11-18-2010, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Agreed Johnatl. I am flabbergasted that a poster would state that "it's still difficult to find quality schools in ATL." Georgia Tech is the nation's 4th ranked engineering school, UGA (though in Athens) a top 20 public university and Georgia State a very well respected institution, not to mention Emory, Morehouse, etc. JC84 really should get out of Carrollton sometimes... Geez...
I should have specified. I feel public education at the elementary-middle school level is lacking. But you're right, Atlanta does have some great universities.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Sorry, but you don't even live in Atlanta. Carrollton might as well be on a different planet.

With the exception of your snow remark, I completely disagree with everything you stated here.
Well, I've also lived in Fayetteville for about 5 years, which I consider a suburb of Atlanta. I'll have to stand by my opinions, especially the "red-state" ones (which, I know, are MUCH more noticeable inside Fayette county).

Besides, as an "outsider", my opinions are simply what I perceive to be as major cultural differences to Boston, and things I had to adjust to when I moved here.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:31 PM

349 posts, read 662,179 times
I've never been to Boston but I live in NJ which is of course in the northeast. Surprisingly I find a few things here to be behind the times. For example many places either do not accept debit cards or they have a $10 minimum. In GA I could use my debit card practically anywhere for something as small as a pack of gum. It gets annoying to always have to make sure you have some cash on you. Additionally, most places up here are not open 24 hours. Not even in NYC. Try getting gas in NJ after 10 PM. There is no QuickTrip open 24 hours. Then there is EZ Pass which gives you a 1980s looking plastic brick to put on your windshield as opposed to the GA 400 modern looking sticker to pay the tolls. Anyways, in this day and age I feel all parts of the country are essentially similiar. We all have access to the same internet, cable, books, culture, etc. Its not like the 1800s where regions were truely isolated. All in all people are people. Atlanta is a big city so it is fast paced. But it is also spread out and largely reliant on cars which may be a culture shock coming from the northeast.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:39 PM

118 posts, read 253,935 times
so how far outside the city do you have to go to hear lots of southern accents, or different style clothing?
More like the farmer/cowboy look. Or does that not exist in the south anymore?

Old 11-19-2010, 07:05 AM

8,862 posts, read 14,420,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike7300 View Post
so how far outside the city do you have to go to hear lots of southern accents, or different style clothing?
More like the farmer/cowboy look. Or does that not exist in the south anymore?
That aspect of southern culture would be more typical of South Georgia.

'Different style clothing'---overalls??

Last edited by TakeAhike; 11-19-2010 at 07:40 AM..

Old 11-19-2010, 07:30 AM

12,951 posts, read 21,056,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagwagon113 View Post
Surprisingly I find a few things here to be behind the times. For example many places either do not accept debit cards or they have a $10 minimum. In GA I could use my debit card practically anywhere for something as small as a pack of gum. It gets annoying to always have to make sure you have some cash on you. Additionally, most places up here are not open 24 hours. Not even in NYC. Try getting gas in NJ after 10 PM. There is no QuickTrip open 24 hours.

Same thing in Massachusetts...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or