U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 12:30 PM

118 posts, read 253,293 times

Advertisements

If there is already a thread on this, please direct me.

I am curious as to differences in culture etc between Boston/Northeast city life and Atlanta (or areas surrounding Atlanta), and if the differences are really that noticeable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 01:17 PM

8,862 posts, read 14,380,385 times
There have been posts comparing/contrasting Atlanta to other cities --I can't find threads referencing Boston specifically at the moment--this one might give you an overview.

ATLANTA: I'm impressed! (the city from a D.C. native perspective)

and

Boston to Atlanta relo

See post #6 and DM the poster if you like.

Last edited by TakeAhike; 11-17-2010 at 01:26 PM..

Old 11-17-2010, 04:00 PM

2,564 posts, read 3,584,658 times
I only visited Boston for a day so I can't really compare it to Atlanta. I will say I thought it was pretty nice. Especially around the Common area. There's plenty of history up there.

I did live in NYC for about a year so I do have some NE experience.

First let's get the obvious differences out of the way.

Weather-You get way more snow up there of course. It still gets fairly cold down here though. I used to compare the temps of NYC and ATL when I was up there and a lot of times the lows were as cold or even colder down here. However, it tended to warm up a good bit more down south as the day progressed. Those days where the temp keeps dropping from an am high are pretty rare down here. They seemed a lot more common up there. Perhaps it's due to being on the coast. Summers are just a little hotter and more humid here and they last about a month longer it seems. Daylight is longer down here too of course. I remember it getting dark by 4:00pm up there.

Interconnectivity-You can consider the area from Boston to D.C. one huge megacity with very little interruption. Atlanta is relatively isolated with Birmingham being the closest city of any considerable size. Transportation options are a bit more varied up there with trains and buses actually being practical. You could get by without a car in just about any of the medium to large cities that make up that megacity. You can barely get by without a car in the center of Atlanta, much less further out.

Cost-Of course everybody knows the NE is more expensive than the south but I think it's exaggerated at times. The main difference is in housing costs. The other stuff is usually just a tad bit more.

Some more subtle differences:
Culture-The south is usually slower paced and patience can come in handy at times. Sometimes the people are more gregarious and friendly but sometimes I'd trade some of that for a little more urgency. Not everyone is friendly and some can be downright rude so don't get the impression that everyone in the south is nice. Atlanta is a pretty fast paced place. Maybe not as fast as NYC or Chicago but maybe as fast as Boston.

City life-The NE definitely has more density and I think life in general is more city-centered than the south. The NE seems to concentrate a lot of its energy and attractions into its cities while those are more spread out in the south. The south still has that agrarian aspect as a prominent part of its psyche. I think the soul of the south is in small towns while the north's is in the major cities.

Just some observations.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:02 PM

Interesting, did not think Atlanta would be as fast paced as Boston... that is one of the things i don't like up here.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:35 AM

12,885 posts, read 20,969,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike7300 View Post
Interesting, did not think Atlanta would be as fast paced as Boston... that is one of the things i don't like up here.

Atlanta is fast-paced for the American South--being the de-facto capital and primate city of the region and everything. However, I would not say it is as fast paced as Boston at all--uh, as if.

Atlanta is major world international city with easygoing southern style.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:44 AM

28,104 posts, read 24,632,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Atlanta is fast-paced for the American South--being the de-facto capital and primate city of the region and everything. However, I would not say it is as fast paced as Boston at all--uh, as if.

Atlanta is major world international city with easygoing southern style.
I'm certainly not being argumentative but what does "fast-paced" mean? For example, restaurant service is no slower in Atlanta, and people certainly don't walk, jog, drive, talk or return email or phone calls slower. I don't think we work less or piddle around more. The trains and buses and airplanes all stick to their schedules. And it's hard to think of Atlanta nightlife, news reports, policemen, construction crews or anything else as being slower than their counterparts in Boston.

What's the diff?

Old 11-18-2010, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I'm certainly not being argumentative but what does "fast-paced" mean? For example, restaurant service is no slower in Atlanta, and people certainly don't walk, jog, drive, talk or return email or phone calls slower. I don't think we work less or piddle around more. The trains and buses and airplanes all stick to their schedules. And it's hard to think of Atlanta nightlife, news reports, policemen, construction crews or anything else as being slower than their counterparts in Boston.

What's the diff?
The only way I can figure is that Boston is just more dense with many more people on the street at all times compared to Atlanta. Downtown Atlanta(and even midtown) is a ghost town compared to NE cities at just about anytime of day. Atlanta's energy is more dispersed and that makes it seem like there is less going on but I think overall it's at about the same level as Boston.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:17 AM

well in Boston during rush hour downtown, you can hardly walk around without someone bumping into you. And people will run over you to get to work. Not many people will just walk at a normal pace to get to work.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:20 AM

You won't have that problem here. People just try to run you over on the highway, not the sidewalk.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:31 AM

28,104 posts, read 24,632,008 times
I completely agree about the level of street life. I guess I wasn't equating our relative dearth of pedestrian traffic with a "slow pace of life." Life can be frenetic here but we typically drive to our destinations rather than walking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or