U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 11:12 AM

13 posts, read 35,102 times

Advertisements

I have family picking me up at ATL on Thanksgiving morning and we've had problems before when they've shown up on time because the airline said the flight was on time only to have to circle the airport for an hour because the jet way was stuck and we couldn't get off the plane. It's always something at ATL.

Anyway, many airports have cell phone waiting lots for people picking up passengers but I don't see anything about that on the ATL web site. Is there a lot, or if not, do you know a place super close to the airport where one could sit and wait for a call?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 11:22 AM

9,002 posts, read 16,118,243 times
No, But, I Find waiting at The Convention Center to be a good place, Get off at Camp Creek and go away from the airport. Conv Center is on Left. about a 5-10 min run to the Term from there.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:41 AM

6,458 posts, read 7,253,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyCal View Post
I have family picking me up at ATL on Thanksgiving morning and we've had problems before when they've shown up on time because the airline said the flight was on time only to have to circle the airport for an hour because the jet way was stuck and we couldn't get off the plane. It's always something at ATL.

Anyway, many airports have cell phone waiting lots for people picking up passengers but I don't see anything about that on the ATL web site. Is there a lot, or if not, do you know a place super close to the airport where one could sit and wait for a call?

Thanks
There is no cell phone waiting area. It has something has been mentioned looking forward. Many people wait off-site 5-10 minutes away or pay to park for a short period of time. As I am sure you have seen... They definitely won't let anyone wait curbside. It is just too busy/congested.

I travel alot and if I get someone to pick me up I usually get the them to pick me up at a MARTA station. Also, I live about 30 minutes from the airport, so sometimes I will give my ride a call after the plane lands, but is still taxiing to the gate. That way I only need to wait 10-15 minutes for my ride to show up once I make it curbside, but I will be there before they are.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:44 AM

942 posts, read 2,688,683 times
I think you can now ride to GICC (Georgia International Convention Center) via the ATL SkyTrain (people mover).

Old 11-18-2010, 11:51 AM

Yep, you can,,, I have not used it yet, but it stops there...

Old 11-18-2010, 12:13 PM

13 posts, read 35,102 times
Do you know if the ATL SkyTrain to GICC runs 24/7 and on holidays? Also, the last time I drove by GICC it looked like there's a gate at the entrance. Would someone be able to drive in there anytime and park near the SkyTrain station?

Old 11-18-2010, 12:29 PM

The SkyTrain run 24x7 it provides the access to the car rental center. There are hotel within the GICC so I don't know how they would gate it up. (i've never seen any gates when i've been there) I would think the SkyTrain stops at GICC on as part of is route 24x7 to provies access to the hotels that are in there. You can call
[LEFT][/LEFT]
[SIZE=1]Atlanta Airport Marriott Gateway .[/SIZE][SIZE=1][SIZE=1]2020 Convention Center Concourse (404) 456-5695 to check on the Skytrain stop at GICC off-hours
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

Old 11-18-2010, 12:43 PM

3,207 posts, read 4,505,860 times
The Skytrain runs all the time and there are no restrictions about the GICC station whatsoever. There is also a little cross road where you can pull a car over and wait.

It's actually become a problem, as many people are parking on the street and using it as a free park-and-ride. Something will eventually be done about it, I'm sure.

Also, don't you get a free grace period in the ATL hourly parking deck? Or did they shut that down?

Old 11-18-2010, 03:11 PM

6,458 posts, read 7,253,707 times
I think they still charge $2/hr for short term parking. If they do have a small grace period, then they don't list it on their website (or at least I haven't found it).

I guess $2/hr isn't really that bad. If someone is picking you up at the airport it can't hurt to shell out an extra $2

Old 11-18-2010, 04:47 PM

4,142 posts, read 5,733,244 times
Another free place to stop is the old car rental lots. You can stop and park by their entrances. The area isn't patrolled much.

Their is no longer a grace at hourly parking. I was just charged $7 for 2 hrs to get my badge today...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or