U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2010, 10:39 AM

2,047 posts, read 3,874,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Yes, this is shaping up to look like a planned hit, and not random at all.
Anyone that knows Dunwoody also knows that such a crime is hardly indicative of the area.
That school is not exactly in an accessible area, you'd have to be looking for it, and there are certainly easier targets. Murder doesn't generally worry me nearly as much as other violent crimes. For the most part, murderers are usually gunning for a particular person. Unless I fail to make my husband an Italian Cream Cake for Thanksgiving, there's little likelihood that anyone would want to shoot me. Of course there's always the possibility of someone being in the wrong place and getting hit by a stray bullet, but it's still not as frightening as home invasions or other types of where the choice is just random.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 11:15 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,616,241 times
Sensational crime like this is pretty rare in the 'wood. Having grown up here and moved back, the only other major killings I can remember are:

1) The double homicide and subsequent arson of the elderly couple on Peeler earlier this year. Haven't heard the formal resolution, but apparently a lot of signs pointed towards someone known to the couple doing the dirty work.

2) The killing of Louis Nava after he and his friend were carjacked in the (formerly) Harris Teeter parking lot (later became the Ace Hardware near All Saints). Pretty famous crime, where they were driven out to Bartow county, Nava was killed execution style, and his friend then made a run for it and got away. This was in 1998.

3) The most infamous crime, which was the killing of Abigail Vandiver by Richard Gellner. In 1987, this 15 year old kid stabbed her 50+ times in the house in which she was staying. Very brutal...I remember it really shook the community. He had this strong crush on her and always mowed the lawn for the people who owned the house. There were different accounts of how exactly the attack started...either she flirted with him and rejected his subsequent advances, or he came onto her and she outright rejected him, leading to the beyond brutal slaying. Interestingly, being of slight build, he had trouble fighting her initially and she actually cut one of his fingers off. They caught him when he later went back to reclaim the finger with his father and the police were on the scene.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:57 PM

2,123 posts, read 3,391,623 times
I was wondering how long it would be before the fearful came out of hiding on this one. Surprised it took this long.

Old 11-28-2010, 04:17 PM

196 posts, read 151,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnea3 View Post
Wow what a bunch of kooks in here.
Kooks who think Dunwoody is a bad area, you mean?

Old 11-29-2010, 12:33 AM

106 posts, read 190,783 times
Dunwoody is not a bad area at all! In fact, Dunwoody is almost like a magical oasis of business districts, corporate buildings, and upper class suburban areas... This type of sensationalism makes people vote for the wrong candidate I tell ya! The media, which I am apart of, really does a number on peoples mind, it can really scare people, and I'm guessing that a high number of people read these posts because this forum is popular, which means you could easily influence others who aren't from here into thinking someplace is different then it really is...

Old 11-29-2010, 10:57 AM

28,110 posts, read 24,639,595 times
For those who don't mind risking their necks to a crazed, texting minivan driver intent on getting Joshua and Megan to school or finding a parking place close to the mall entrance, maybe Dunwoody is your hood. I'm not sticking my head into that kind of urban buzzsaw.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:21 AM

7,732 posts, read 11,765,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
For those who don't mind risking their necks to a crazed, texting minivan driver intent on getting Joshua and Megan to school or finding a parking place close to the mall entrance, maybe Dunwoody is your hood. I'm not sticking my head into that kind of urban buzzsaw.
LOL!

This reminds me of the popular Dunwoody Barbie dolls from earlier this decade:

This yuppie Barbie comes with your choice of BMW convertible or Hummer H2. Included are her own Starbucks cup, credit card set, and country club membership. Also available are Shallow Ken and Spanish-speaking Nanny.
Dunwoody Barbie hasn't been affordable since the early 80's.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:18 PM

28,110 posts, read 24,639,595 times
:d

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
lol!

This reminds me of the popular dunwoody barbie dolls from earlier this decade:

This yuppie barbie comes with your choice of bmw convertible or hummer h2. Included are her own starbucks cup, credit card set, and country club membership. Also available are shallow ken and spanish-speaking nanny.
Dunwoody barbie hasn't been affordable since the early 80's.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:18 PM

876 posts, read 1,883,411 times
I would live in Dunwoody if I could - it's a fabulous area, very convenient for commuting, too.

Too bad so many people react to negative news, instead of good news.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:53 AM

106 posts, read 190,783 times
I had an apartment that was very affordable in Dunwoody, it was right off Ashford Dunwoody, 1/2 mile from the Art Institute, about 3 or so miles from Perimeter mall, it was $600 a month... Only crime we had was the occasional vehicle break-in... All sorts lived there, it was a great spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or