U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 10:05 AM

28,153 posts, read 24,704,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Me neither. You're probably more likely to have an old tree fall on you than be a crime victim.
Well, there was that recent rash of robberies in Virginia-Highland, but that can happen anywhere. There was some kind of robbery up in East Cobb just yesterday which forced them to lock down five elementary schools.

However, in general Virginia-Highland is very, very safe. We lived there for several years and you could go out at any time of the day or night without any concerns for your personal safety whatsoever. We did have repeated thefts of the roof off one of our cars but, again, that can happen anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 10:10 AM

281 posts, read 519,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Well, there was that recent rash of robberies in Virginia-Highland, but that can happen anywhere. There was some kind of robbery up in East Cobb just yesterday which forced them to lock down five elementary schools.

However, in general Virginia-Highland is very, very safe. We lived there for several years and you could go out at any time of the day or night without any concerns for your personal safety whatsoever. We did have repeated thefts of the roof off one of our cars but, again, that can happen anywhere.
You can't leave anything of value in your car if you park it on the street in Va-Hi or Morningside.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:33 AM
JPD

11,874 posts, read 14,490,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvez View Post
You can't leave anything of value in your car if you park it on the street in Va-Hi or Morningside.
You shouldn't leave items of value in your car in anywhere. If you leave valuables in your car and they get stolen, it doesn't mean you're in a bad neighborhood, it means you're an irresponsible or naive individual.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:57 AM

Well, the roof panels weren't left in the car. They were just part of it.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:33 PM
JPD

Quote:
Well, the roof panels weren't left in the car. They were just part of it.
That's pretty odd. What kind of car has removable roof panels?

Old 11-19-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
That's pretty odd. What kind of car has removable roof panels?
A Vette.

Old 11-19-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
If you leave valuables in your car and they get stolen, it doesn't mean you're in a bad neighborhood, it means you're an irresponsible or naive individual.
I put the fault for stealing on the thief rather than the victim. In my opinion the person who did the stealing is the irresponsible and naive individual.

I've lived in several neighborhoods where you could leave things of value in your car and they would not be stolen. Stealing is an active, individual choice, not something that is inevitable.

Old 11-19-2010, 02:19 PM
JPD

Quote:
I put the fault for stealing on the thief rather than the victim. In my opinion the person who did the stealing is the irresponsible and naive individual.

I've lived in several neighborhoods where you could leave things of value in your car and they would not be stolen. Stealing is an active, individual choice, not something that is inevitable.
I won't go so far as to blame the victim, but if you leave valuables in your car, you are creating a very inviting situation for a thief. That is what makes you irresponsible. And expecting your belongings to be where you left them makes you naive.

Old 11-19-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
That is what makes you irresponsible. And expecting your belongings to be where you left them makes you naive.
I respectfully disagree. I think it makes me an honest, trusting person who expects the same of others.

Do I think that everyone will live up to the rules of a sane society? No, of course not. There will always be idiots and thugs. But I'm not going to abandon my expectations of decency because they get down in the dirt.

Old 11-19-2010, 03:26 PM
JPD

Quote:
I respectfully disagree. I think it makes me an honest, trusting person who expects the same of others.

Do I think that everyone will live up to the rules of a sane society? No, of course not. There will always be idiots and thugs. But I'm not going to abandon my expectations of decency because they get down in the dirt.
I did that a long time ago. Haven't had anything stolen since.

Knock on wood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or