U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 10:46 AM

281 posts, read 530,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Wow. Just another example of how out of touch I am. In the old days we thought of Virginia-Highland as sort of a yuppie haven with a nice little bar and restaurant district and some antique stores and bookshops, but I guess everything changes.
The neighborhood is still a yuppie haven, but the hood is just a mile away. The thugs steal cars and drive to the Highlands to steal from productive members of society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 10:49 AM
JPD

12,159 posts, read 15,035,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Wow. Just another example of how out of touch I am. In the old days we thought of Virginia-Highland as sort of a yuppie haven with a nice little bar and restaurant district and some antique stores and bookshops, but I guess everything changes.
That is still what it is.

Scumbags have cars. Yuppies have money. Scumbags want money, and don't care if they have to kill a few yuppies to get it.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:59 AM

If you live in the neighborhood and see a bunch of "thugs" cruising around please get the license plate number and call 911 stat. Trust me, they are not there to sell Girl Scout cookies.

Old 11-23-2010, 11:12 AM

29,275 posts, read 26,215,823 times
What a shame. It's pretty hard to have a city when you've got jackasses going around robbing and killing people.

Old 11-23-2010, 05:56 PM

I wish these feral beasts would stay in their own hoods and leave us alone. It amazes me that one demographic can cause so much violence in this city. One would think that with all the entitlement programs they receive that they wouldn't need to rob us.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:55 PM

222 posts, read 620,687 times
Thumbs down Thugs

22 years in Atlanta law enforcement. I can promise you V/H area is getting worse. Robbing crews are dividing their time, between V/H and Ga. Tech campus. They see both areas as full of easy marks.

They'd be right, too...

Old 11-23-2010, 07:46 PM

969 posts, read 1,661,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulver View Post
22 years in Atlanta law enforcement. I can promise you V/H area is getting worse. Robbing crews are dividing their time, between V/H and Ga. Tech campus. They see both areas as full of easy marks.

They'd be right, too...
Well why won't ADP doing anything about it? People in Virginia Highlands/community groups asked for more police presence and were promised that, yet the ADP hasn't followed through. Why is this city so lax on certain things like crime? Atlanta could really turn itself around completely if it put its foot down. We can only do so much - people continue to move into the city, invest their money in it, and try to make it a better place and the city government could give two craps about any of us.

This city needs a visible police presence everywhere. They need to create an environment that scares the thugs away and maybe they will move somewhere else like Birmingham.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:01 PM

106 posts, read 196,461 times
Carry a pistol, learn how to use it, become proficient w/ it. What is so hard about this concept that people just don't understand? If your walking around town, and you know you look like an easy mark, step up the game, get the equalizer. These robberys don't have boundries, a good lick is always gonna be where a bunch of polo wearing white people reside, it's just reality.

Do not rely on police, I repeat, do not rely on the police. They are just the cleanup crew. 9/10 these thugs/feral beasts you talk about aren't military trained, they can't shoot worth sh*t, they are just hungry, poor, idiots who look for the chance when your at your weakest, aka turning your back, being outnumbered, ambushs, whatever. Once people start carrying a small lil pistol, like they carry their own car keys, your gonna hear about people taking a stand for themselves. No heightened police presense is gonna stop economics and poverty, which is why these guys are out in the first place.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:05 PM

262 posts, read 536,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Most of the churches in the area are progressive in their approach to worship. Three of note are Druid Hills Methodist Church, Druid Hills Baptist Church and Intown Community Church.

Music — Druid Hills United Methodist Church (http://www.druidhillsumc.org/2009/12/01/music/ - broken link)

Intown Community Church / Home / Start Page

Druid Hills Baptist Church | Atlanta, GA

DHUMC has nothing like a praise band, but the music there is varied and (IMO) enjoyable. But you would probably be more likely to hear folk, jazz, gospel, traditional hymns, or pop (U2, Sufjan Stevens, Indigo Girls) than praise music.

Old 11-24-2010, 02:24 PM

256 posts, read 659,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Me neither. You're probably more likely to have an old tree fall on you than be a crime victim.
LOL! So true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or