U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 02:36 PM

747 posts, read 1,265,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keizers View Post
Here's a newspaper article from 1986 referring to 21 muggings in two months. I find it hard to believe that there were not crime waves in the area when VaHi was still almost a slum (in the 70s) or shortly thereafter.

Virginia highland muggings Atlanta - Google News Archive Search
Doesn't it make sense though that as the area became more affluent the number of robberies would increase? Don't thieves usually target people with money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2010, 03:00 PM

28,129 posts, read 24,652,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keizers View Post
Here's a newspaper article from 1986 referring to 21 muggings in two months. I find it hard to believe that there were not crime waves in the area when VaHi was still almost a slum (in the 70s) or shortly thereafter.
Well, you got me there. I guess my memory of those days is glossing over the bad stuff. I can tell you that Virginia-Highland was no slum in the 70s and we definitely felt safe. (Maybe safer than we should have felt!)

The neighborhood had slipped a little during the era of white flight but had not been hit nearly as hard as some areas. We lived there in 1974 and our neighbors included a doctor couple, a well known sculptor, some attorneys, a GSU professor and several businessmen. The fellow we bought from was an insurance executive. So it was hardly a dump.

Old 11-26-2010, 10:40 PM

3,622 posts, read 4,921,528 times
My brother and his wife live in VA-Highland, and love it. I don't think it should be on anyone's "to be avoided" list, that's for sure. Crimes in Virginia Highland make the news because it's known as an affluent area, and a safe place to live. If crime was commonplace, it wouldn't be an attention-grabbing headline.

Old 11-27-2010, 06:38 PM

It sounds like the police are closing in on some suspects. It doesn't indicate whether they are Virginia-Highland residents, however.

Surveillance Video Released in Highlands Murder (http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/dpp/news/local_news/Atlanta-Police-Recover-Stolen-SUV-20101126-am-sd - broken link)

Old 11-29-2010, 06:51 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,618,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neemy View Post
My brother and his wife live in VA-Highland, and love it. I don't think it should be on anyone's "to be avoided" list, that's for sure. Crimes in Virginia Highland make the news because it's known as an affluent area, and a safe place to live. If crime was commonplace, it wouldn't be an attention-grabbing headline.
I think the attention-grabbing aspect is that someone was actually killed. Having said that, the Highlands are relatively low in crime compared to other in-town areas (any area in the metro area will have some every day crime, just the way it is). I wouldn't hesitate to live in the area, it is great.

Old 11-29-2010, 07:03 AM
JPD

11,862 posts, read 14,468,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
It sounds like the police are closing in on some suspects. It doesn't indicate whether they are Virginia-Highland residents, however.
Surveillance Video Released in Highlands Murder (http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/dpp/news/local_news/Atlanta-Police-Recover-Stolen-SUV-20101126-am-sd - broken link)
I'll wager every cent I earn for the rest of my life that the culprits are not Virginia-Highland residents.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:30 AM

747 posts, read 1,265,066 times
3 charged with murder in Virginia-Highland shooting *| ajc.com

Sounds like the suspected ring leader for this band of merry thugs has been apprehended. The group hails from an area between Lakewood and I-75.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:54 AM

What a bunch of ignoramuses. Chief Turner got it right: “Make no mistake,” Atlanta Police Chief George Turner said at a news conference with Mayor Kasim Reed and top investigators crowded around him. “We have removed some very dangerous criminals from the streets of Atlanta.”

I still think Virginia-Highland is very safe. I wouldn't hesitate to live there for a second.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:14 AM

8,862 posts, read 14,388,045 times
The leader is 19 yrs old. fwiw. I suppose Va Hi was just convenient but now will become significantly less desirable as a target.

The article also said he would visit day labor sites and solicit volunteers for the day---robbery, murder, rape, etc.

Old 12-23-2010, 12:30 PM

217 posts, read 341,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
The leader is 19 yrs old. fwiw. I suppose Va Hi was just convenient but now will become significantly less desirable as a target.

The article also said he would visit day labor sites and solicit volunteers for the day---robbery, murder, rape, etc.
I don't think that's quite what he was saying.

It did quote Turner as saying "[Wise] would go to the labor pool of criminals," and the reporter said that he was "looking for partners to help him with the crime of the day." But, I think Turner meant "labor pool" in reference to the "loose group of individuals who knew each other from the Amal Heights neighborhood" that Keith Meadows was talking about earlier in the story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or