U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 12:38 PM

8,862 posts, read 14,380,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedestriAnne View Post
I don't think that's quite what he was saying.

Turner did say "He would go to the labor pool of criminals," looking for partners to help him with the crime of the day." But, I think he meant "labor pool" in reference to the "loose group of individuals who knew each other from the Amal Heights neighborhood" that Keith Meadows was talking about earlier in the story.
Yes, that is correct and also what I attempted to say.

Whatever the plan was it wasn't a good one. Callous disregard for life, etc.

Gang related as far as I am concerned--even though we don't/can't talk about that.

It needs to be stopped. Fingers crossed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 12:54 PM

217 posts, read 340,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
Yes, that is correct and also what I attempted to say.

Whatever the plan was it wasn't a good one. Callous disregard for life, etc.

Gang related as far as I am concerned.
Yeah, it's not like you have to file some paperwork with the county and register as a gang in order to be one. Maybe they expect a "real" gang to actually have a point to it, like making money to buy drugs, guns etc, instead of just engaging in recreational murder.

Old 12-23-2010, 01:08 PM

8,862 posts, read 14,380,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedestriAnne View Post
Yeah, it's not like you have to file some paperwork with the county and register as a gang in order to be one. Maybe they expect a "real" gang to actually have a point to it, like making money to buy drugs, guns etc, instead of just engaging in recreational murder.

I've read several articles about this--it seems to have been going on for several months or longer and considerable time and money were required to get this far. I infer that there is more to the story/problem and whatever it takes to send a 'message' to others --I can only hope no stone will be left unturned.

ETA/the most comprehensive account to date>>>
http://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta/accu...nt-786624.html

Last edited by TakeAhike; 12-23-2010 at 02:00 PM..

Old 12-24-2010, 01:57 PM

292 posts, read 542,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
VA Highlands is a tremendous area. Nice area, and as safe as any area if you just use your head.
I've heard there are quite a few car break-ins, but those may be isolated incidents.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:22 AM

747 posts, read 1,264,582 times
Sexual assault in Virginia-Highland *| ajc.com

Seriously?

Old 12-27-2010, 07:59 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,006,935 times
Default Probably typical for a big city...read the link...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenOne View Post
I am considering moving back to the Atlanta area after being in Texas for 12 years. I lived in Buckhead back then and loved it, but this time I want to be close to Emory, Ga. Tech, and GSU for the education resources. Also easy access to MARTA. We are empty nesters that like to get outdoors and walk alot and also be close to all services without having to drive. We don't want to have to fear for our lives. Is VA. Highlands the best place for this? We are also going to be looking for an upbeat Baptist or Methodist church that has a contemporary service that includes a praise band. Would appreciate your ideas.

I pulled this link on crime stats for you.....only one shooting in the last 2 months (October through November 2010)......wilful killing/murder.....it seems the overwhelming crime is theft....43 or so in the last 2 months....a few forced burglaries and assaults on top of that.........you can manipulate this grid an search back to the 1st of the year.....

Safe? Probably depends on what you are used to.....the thefts are mostly property in cars....thefts of opportunities....people parked in bars restaurants or cars broken into at night that are parked on the street I'm guessing....click on the details....

I don't think this is the worst place in the city but, you are considering something in the city and that has to get a tick or two higher on the danger scale compared to the suburbs.....overally, Virginia Highland is a neighborhood that continues to improve with those that move in and rennovate the older homes.....

Hope this helps...

Virginia-Highland, Atlanta, GA Neighborhood Crime Map, Statistics, Alerts and Reports

Old 09-26-2011, 03:11 PM

2 posts, read 2,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacelord75 View Post
Relatively recent by comparison...from 2000 to now.
That's simply not true. I wish I could find the link but I found an article from the AJC in the 80s which talked about 30 muggings in the space of a couple months! Virginia Highland is much safer than then when it was an edgy neighborhood. Also there was hardly any information available back then. Now, there are blogs etc and news of crime spreads instantly. Need to keep things in perspective.

Old 09-26-2011, 03:33 PM

28,107 posts, read 24,632,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keizers View Post
That's simply not true. I wish I could find the link but I found an article from the AJC in the 80s which talked about 30 muggings in the space of a couple months! Virginia Highland is much safer than then when it was an edgy neighborhood. Also there was hardly any information available back then. Now, there are blogs etc and news of crime spreads instantly. Need to keep things in perspective.
My memory must be totally out of whack. Which is possible.

We lived in Virginia Highland in 1981 and by then it was a pretty gentrified, yuppie place. Our more urban friends of that era (I guess you call them hipsters now) thought it was too sedate for their tastes and they were already looking for edgier neighborhoods. If there was any significant crime we were oblivious to it.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:00 AM

20,895 posts, read 32,882,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
My memory must be totally out of whack. Which is possible.

We lived in Virginia Highland in 1981 and by then it was a pretty gentrified, yuppie place. Our more urban friends of that era (I guess you call them hipsters now) thought it was too sedate for their tastes and they were already looking for edgier neighborhoods. If there was any significant crime we were oblivious to it.

Va-Hi covers a pretty large area; the part of the neighborhood located close to Ponce de Leon generally tells a different crime story than does the area north of Virginia Avenue.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:42 AM

28,107 posts, read 24,632,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Va-Hi covers a pretty large area; the part of the neighborhood located close to Ponce de Leon generally tells a different crime story than does the area north of Virginia Avenue.
True.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or