U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 12:40 PM

36 posts, read 66,390 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving back to the Atlanta area after being in Texas for 12 years. I lived in Buckhead back then and loved it, but this time I want to be close to Emory, Ga. Tech, and GSU for the education resources. Also easy access to MARTA. We are empty nesters that like to get outdoors and walk alot and also be close to all services without having to drive. We don't want to have to fear for our lives. Is VA. Highlands the best place for this? We are also going to be looking for an upbeat Baptist or Methodist church that has a contemporary service that includes a praise band. Would appreciate your ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 01:32 PM

9,552 posts, read 8,612,923 times
VA Highlands is a tremendous area. Nice area, and as safe as any area if you just use your head.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:28 PM

461 posts, read 899,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
VA Highlands is a tremendous area. Nice area, and as safe as any area if you just use your head.
Seconded!!

Old 11-18-2010, 07:16 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,841,678 times
I have lived here for 22 years. Never a problem. BTW, it is Virginia Highland, no s. Although people say "The Highlands".

Old 11-18-2010, 07:50 PM

7,732 posts, read 11,763,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Absolutely! One of our best neighborhoods. I would love to live within walking distance to all that it offers, and the residential offerings are wonderful (but a little pricey).

Old 11-18-2010, 09:06 PM

349 posts, read 660,549 times
I had some friends that lived over there and every weekend I would head over there to hit the bars and crash at their place. I know that you are not necessarily going to be doing that but my point is that I was in that neighborhood quite frequently at all hours of the night and never felt threatened. It is definitely a very safe and walkable area and should have all of the things you are looking for. However, it is a younger crowd so I don't know if that bothers you or not. Additionally, it is in the city and from reading these boards it seems that there is crime and home invasions in town so just keep your wits about you and be smart. I don't know much about the church scene but being that it is Atlanta I would imagine it shouldn't be too hard to find something that would fit your needs. Good luck! If I ever move back it would be my first choice as a place to live intown.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:24 AM

20,895 posts, read 32,882,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenOne View Post
We are also going to be looking for an upbeat Baptist or Methodist church that has a contemporary service that includes a praise band. Would appreciate your ideas.
Most of the churches in the area are progressive in their approach to worship. Three of note are Druid Hills Methodist Church, Druid Hills Baptist Church and Intown Community Church.

Music — Druid Hills United Methodist Church (http://www.druidhillsumc.org/2009/12/01/music/ - broken link)

Intown Community Church / Home / Start Page

Druid Hills Baptist Church | Atlanta, GA

Old 11-19-2010, 06:40 AM

3,408 posts, read 8,477,913 times
I'd say that Va-Hi is one of the safest intown neighborhoods, if not the safest. I can't even remember ever hearing any news about crime incidents occurring in the Va-Hi, while it is more common in certain other ATL neighborhoods. I also feel perfectly safe walking there, even at night.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:17 AM
JPD

11,849 posts, read 14,459,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I can't even remember ever hearing any news about crime incidents occurring in the Va-Hi.
Me neither. You're probably more likely to have an old tree fall on you than be a crime victim.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:25 AM

281 posts, read 519,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I'd say that Va-Hi is one of the safest intown neighborhoods, if not the safest. I can't even remember ever hearing any news about crime incidents occurring in the Va-Hi, while it is more common in certain other ATL neighborhoods. I also feel perfectly safe walking there, even at night.
Lots of muggings of bar patrons occur there all the time. Most of these crimes don't make the news, but they are quite common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or