U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2010, 09:55 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,117,786 times

Advertisements

*Sigh*

It's your world Neil, I'm just visiting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
If you notice, I didn't blame or single out any party, other than using Obama's ascent to office as a milestone to measure the recent growth in gov't spending. The total failure of a "stimulus" bill was one $850 billion boondoogle that the Republicans said woud fail, did fail, and can be laid right on the Obama/Pelosi/Reid doorstep.

The Republicans under GWB spent like drunken sailors too. Some of it was necessary for defense, and some was not. I didn't lay blame, only making the observation that no rational person today thinks it can continue. If you assume that the "rich" will pay all the bills while we try and spend our way to prosperity, then you know little about either economics or human nature.

Last edited by AcidSnake; 11-21-2010 at 10:05 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 10:23 AM

1,228 posts, read 1,989,330 times
I get 3 papers; NY Times, Wall Street Journal and the AJC. The AJC I get to keep up with local news and the comics (I have to have comics to give me a smile). WSJ tells me where the money is going in the world, which gives a perspective on foreign policy and just how interconnected the world is through business. The Times, well I do get a more liberal view, but they tend to have a lot of human interest, arts, and just funky little stories that you would miss otherwise. I also prefer to actually have a paper in hand, just because you can get it on your computer does not really make it better. It's easier to linger with the paper.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:49 AM

926 posts, read 1,863,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Unfortunately there are a lot of lazy people who are receiving handouts of social services. I can name probably a dozen by name and am personally aware of many more.
And I cannot name a single one, but that does not mean it doesn't exist. When you have one type of experience in your particular environment, this doesn't mean the rest of the world is the same.

What has been the same in this country, however, even in the midst of whatever handouts poor folks have gotten, is the astronomical wealth gaps between the rich and everyone else over the last 40 years and the rate at which their income has increased.

Whatever is happening amongst poor folks doesn't change that fact (which, when put in perspective, rarely registers a blip in the economic picture of the country), and the blind, hostile protection of many/poor working folks, and really middle class folks as well, of this status quo is what's disturbing and destructive, as AcidSnake mentioned.

Last edited by bizchick86; 11-21-2010 at 11:02 AM..

Old 11-21-2010, 10:50 AM

28,148 posts, read 24,687,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
It's not okay, but the only welfare that is widely discussed in the mainstream media and by your rank & file American is the welfare utilized by your typical lower income citizens, i.e. section 8 vouchers, food stamps, and heating assistance.

I guess wealthy corporate farmers and people who purposely build houses on hurricane proned beach-front property are off-limits.
When I Google "Corporate Welfare" I get 6,750,000 hits. That hardly sounds like an off limits topic to me. There have been countless complaints about the Bush and Obama administrations bailing out banks, brokerage houses and big corporations while leaving Main Street to sink. There's been a steady drumbeat of outrage about defense contractors getting massive pork barrel contracts, oil companies making obscene profits, high paid lobbyists, ridiculously paid executives, and on and on.

Perhaps you are filtering for complaints regarding Section 8, food stamps, etc.?

Old 11-21-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
The question I posed was somewhat rhetorical, but at the same time a device to spearhead a conversation. I didn't expect anyone to respond as I had posed similar questions before with little or no results. I am very pleased though that you were willing to pick up the ball and run with it, unlike others who seem taken to simply repeating mainstream media talking points.
LOL, I just noticed I said hypothetical instead of rhetorical. That's what posting at late hours amid being dead tired does to one's language skills!

Old 11-21-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
When I Google "Corporate Welfare" I get 6,750,000 hits. That hardly sounds like an off limits topic to me. There have been countless complaints about the Bush and Obama administrations bailing out banks, brokerage houses and big corporations while leaving Main Street to sink. There's been a steady drumbeat of outrage about defense contractors getting massive pork barrel contracts, oil companies making obscene profits, high paid lobbyists, ridiculously paid executives, and on and on.

Perhaps you are filtering for complaints regarding Section 8, food stamps, etc.?
It might not be off limits on the internet, but that is practically a death knell for politicians, which is where it actually matters.

Congress is nothing but pay for play, and you can guess who's doing the paying en masse. The vast majority of politicians speak for these corporations and these politicians convince folks like Tea Partiers that those business interests should be protected first and foremost and label everything else as communist and un-American.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:02 AM

394 posts, read 550,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizchick86 View Post
By painting recipients of social services as lazy "others" even while receiving, and expecting, their own security nets and handouts.

By playing up fears rooted in racism and drawing upon a social construct that for 300+ years allowed the majority of whites to ignore the class issues that affected all races and resort to some sort of white privilege to feel deceptively aligned to rich white interests.

This tactic has worked very well indeed, and this country is steadily reverting back to the type of wealth gaps and class inequalities that the wealthy have long aspired to.

Did you know our income inequality in this country exceeds that of every industrial nation outside of Mexico and, I believe, Brazil? The economic dynamics of this supposed world leader and beacon of free market enterprise resembles those of developing countries, and yet nary a peep of discontent is heard by the masses.

I'm sure that question was somewhat hypothetical but I couldn't help but to answer.
This. Well stated.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:05 AM

But back to the topic at hand, I love Creative Loafing and haven't read the AJC in print in years. There's an edge to CL that justly represents Atlanta and suffice it to say I won't be missing the AJC at all.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:10 AM

28,148 posts, read 24,687,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizchick86 View Post
What has been the same in this country, however, even in the midst of whatever handouts poor folks have gotten, is the astronomical wealth gaps between the rich and everyone else over the last 40 years and the rate at which their income has increased.
There's no doubt the income gap has increased dramatically. That's a serious issue that needs to be addressed by any society that hopes to remain sustainable.

However, that's different from the problem of people who are capable of being productive who opt to simply ride the social welfare system. In my opinion that abuse occurs not only among the very poor but among the middle class as well. As I said before, I know a number of people who are drawing significant government payments which are wholly unjustified. In several cases they've paid little or nothing into the system. A society can't last long that way either.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:59 AM

7,844 posts, read 14,527,425 times
Quote:
*Sigh*

It's your world Neil, I'm just visiting.
Yeah, it's called reality. The water is fine...come on in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or