U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 06:09 AM

194 posts, read 526,138 times

Advertisements

Gentrification in 10 Easy Steps

PRELUDE to Gentrification in 10 Easy Steps
A community falls into disrepair, the residents get scorn heaped on them for having the audacity to not have the financial solvency to turn it around themselves. The local police use fear and intimidation as a matter of routine while the local politicians regard the area as a political non-entity. So the weeds grow, the teachers get burnt out, and the people who are stuck there figure out ways to make do while simultaneously being preyed upon by some of their more vicious neighbors.

1) Artsy types need a place to live/work and take the "risk" of moving into places deemed "unsafe" by the mainstream. The current residents regard their green hair and piercings with bemusement.

2) The Artsy types magically don't get killed but instead of intuiting that maybe the danger threats were overblown, the politicians beef up the police force to ensure nothing bad happens to those hapless souls... or the hardwood floors. Eyeballs get replaced with dollar signs.

3) Artsy types take advantage of the combination of low rent and their middle-class connections to convert dilapidated structures into funky shops, venues and art galleries.

4) Area gets labelled as "Transitional" which is just a code word for "I'm not a racist but how fast an you get these swarthies out of here?"

5) The more vanilla cousins and frat chums of the Artsy types stop through for a visit, take a look around and start to think "Hey, it's pretty cool down here", and not at all as generic as my current neighborhood that's all sanitized with Starbucks and Banana Republic and ADT lawn signs.

6) Eventually the bland cousins start hanging out more then moving in. But it's not until they build some fences around their property that the joint really gets to jumping... except for all that noise from the music venues and the snobbery edginess from the 'we were here first' Artsy types at the coffee shop.

7) Starbucks moves in, the Artsy coffee shop moves out. "Transition"? What transition? This area has truly "Arrived" baby and now makes the list as "desirable" in the local free weekly. No one really knows or cares about what may have happened to those black/brown miscreants. "We assume the authorities disposed of them respectfully... How's your crepe?"

8) Rents get raised. The less financially-savvy Artsy types get pushed out. The more financially-savvy Artsy types start shopping at the nearby J. Crew and Anthropologie stores. A quiet calm descends on Blandland. "Do these chinos make my butt look less like a pancake?"

9) "Tall half-skinny half-1 percent extra hot split quad shot (two shots decaf, two shots regular) latte with whip" is what passes as culture. "I just love, LOVE your Volvo."

10) Then one day, the very-respectable residents of this very-desirable area look around and start to feel like it's been overtaken by some very-vanilla strangers which makes them feel very alone. "Hey, what's this? An invitation from my Artsy cousin to come visit for a BBQ in the the middle of a dangerous, swarthy black/brown forest? Sure, why not."

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

Last edited by son-house; 05-02-2011 at 06:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 07:48 AM

29,247 posts, read 26,188,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by son-house View Post
I doubt that people who've lived in revitalizing neighborhoods would agree that it's that easy.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:19 AM

1,498 posts, read 2,610,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by son-house View Post

PRELUDE to Gentrification in 10 Easy Steps
A community falls into disrepair, the residents get scorn heaped on them for having the audacity to not have the financial solvency to turn it around themselves. The local police use fear and intimidation as a matter of routine while the local politicians regard the area as a political non-entity. So the weeds grow, the teachers get burnt out, and the people who are stuck there figure out ways to make do while simultaneously being preyed upon by some of their more vicious neighbors.

1) Artsy types need a place to live/work and take the "risk" of moving into places deemed "unsafe" by the mainstream. The current residents regard their green hair and piercings with bemusement.

2) The Artsy types magically don't get killed but instead of intuiting that maybe the danger threats were overblown, the politicians beef up the police force to ensure nothing bad happens to those hapless souls... or the hardwood floors. Eyeballs get replaced with dollar signs.

3) Artsy types take advantage of the combination of low rent and their middle-class connections to convert dilapidated structures into funky shops, venues and art galleries.

4) Area gets labelled as "Transitional" which is just a code word for "I'm not a racist but how fast an you get these swarthies out of here?"

5) The more vanilla cousins and frat chums of the Artsy types stop through for a visit, take a look around and start to think "Hey, it's pretty cool down here", and not at all as generic as my current neighborhood that's all sanitized with Starbucks and Banana Republic and ADT lawn signs.

6) Eventually the bland cousins start hanging out more then moving in. But it's not until they build some fences around their property that the joint really gets to jumping... except for all that noise from the music venues and the snobbery edginess from the 'we were here first' Artsy types at the coffee shop.

7) Starbucks moves in, the Artsy coffee shop moves out. "Transition"? What transition? This area has truly "Arrived" baby and now makes the list as "desirable" in the local free weekly. No one really knows or cares about what may have happened to those black/brown miscreants. "We assume the authorities disposed of them respectfully... How's your crepe?"

8) Rents get raised. The less financially-savvy Artsy types get pushed out. The more financially-savvy Artsy types start shopping at the nearby J. Crew and Anthropologie stores. A quiet calm descends on Blandland. "Do these chinos make my butt look less like a pancake?"

9) "Tall half-skinny half-1 percent extra hot split quad shot (two shots decaf, two shots regular) latte with whip" is what passes as culture. "I just love, LOVE your Volvo."

10) Then one day, the very-respectable residents of this very-desirable area look around and start to feel like it's been overtaken by some very-vanilla strangers which makes them feel very alone. "Hey, what's this? An invitation from my Artsy cousin to come visit for a BBQ in the the middle of a dangerous, swarthy black/brown forest? Sure, why not."

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.
Another day, another complaint of "the plight."

You probably don't want to hear this, but a lot of those "black miscreants" welcome "vanilla strangers" (nice codeword). A house worth $25,000 is suddenly worth $125,000. The owner can cash in his chips for a tidy little retirement fund.

You probably don't want to hear this either, since it would go against the whole racial-strife agenda you're pushing, but some of those new neighbors are a very "chocolatey" vanilla.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:28 PM

194 posts, read 526,138 times
It's less a "complaint" and more a synopsis.

--

Do take a look at an actual vanilla bean or vanilla extract if you can get past your loose cannon tangents for a few minutes.

Last edited by son-house; 05-05-2011 at 07:40 PM..

Old 05-06-2011, 06:46 PM

7 posts, read 14,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonce View Post
I live and Pastor in Grant Park. We started working with the families of Trestle Tree nearly a year ago, and I'd like all of you to consider that Trestle Tree is a place that houses PEOPLE, not nameless, faceless statistics. There are 50+ children there, and our church shows love to, and has relationships with nearly all of them and their families. They are not a "project" for us, or some "do-good so I can feel better about me initiative." They are a part of our church, our family, and our community. This saddens me greatly to hear you guys long for coffee shops and bars while peoples lives hang in the balance. Click this link to this video we just had produced, maybe seeing faces will soften your hearts and curb your desire to "get rid of the eye sore." City Groups

-Leonce Crump
Leonce@RenovationChurch.net

Your work is appreciaed. However, random gunfire, blasting rap music at all hours, and trash strewn streets are not. I think local residents realize it is only a few bad apples, but those bad apples make both complexes difficult and tiresome neighbors. also, it is worth pointing out that these residents did not purchase property. This is not an eminent domain issue. They could simply move to another section 8 residence.

Old 05-07-2011, 09:08 AM

155 posts, read 355,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYbyWAYofGA View Post
Must EVERY place in Atlanta have parking...?
Short answer: Yes.

Detailed answer: See, Sec. 16-03.010. - Minimum off-street parking requirements, CHAPTER 3. - R-1 SINGLE-FAMILY RESIDENTIAL DISTRICT REGULATIONS

Old 01-30-2012, 11:33 AM

121 posts, read 335,835 times
I've noticed that the empty shops off of Confederate have gotten a facelift, a couple of new doors, new roof and new paint....anyone know of anything new going on with this place?

Old 01-30-2012, 04:41 PM

7 posts, read 14,857 times
The Brick store pub owners bought the space for a new restaurant/bar but unfortunately, last I heard, they have decided to sell. The impovements you noted were to appease local neighbors who were tired of the poor appearance and to help sell the property.

Old 10-15-2015, 12:53 PM

1 posts, read 488 times
It's happening and it's happening very quickly. Don't be ignorant and don't be a jerk. Many people don't own their 25k home, they rent, and the few that do own, often would rather age in place then be displaced. Don't ease your conscience, the negative impact you're having on families and communities is real. Maybe instead wave to a stranger and support affordable housing, inclusionary zoning, and policies that support public schools in low-income neighborhoods. There are opportunities for success stories from gentrification, they are just few and far between because of your fear of the "other".

Old 10-15-2015, 12:58 PM
JPD

12,159 posts, read 15,026,501 times
lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or