U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2010, 08:23 PM

5 posts, read 16,216 times

Advertisements

Im moving to the Atlanta area and the complex I am moving into only offers Direcpath cable and internet services. Can anyone tell me how good or bad they are? And how expensive they are? I am so used to either Comcast or Verizion Fios and having superfast download speeds, I don't know if I can take not having the speed. Please help!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 11:52 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,116,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktotheSouth View Post
Im moving to the Atlanta area and the complex I am moving into only offers Direcpath cable and internet services. Can anyone tell me how good or bad they are? And how expensive they are? I am so used to either Comcast or Verizion Fios and having superfast download speeds, I don't know if I can take not having the speed. Please help!
I currently use Direcpath's Internet service and Directtv's cable and both have been great. I was skeptical as well; however, their customer service is outstanding. I signed up for a special where I receive the Sports Package which includes HBO, Starz and so on for $70 and my internet bill is about $55 for the fastest internet speed.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:35 AM

361 posts, read 454,102 times
looks like its fiber optic and shares nothing with directv's slow-ass "direcway" satellite internet.

About DirecPath | DirecPath

pretty awesome actually, i would love for my complex to get something like this. directv satellite + their equivalent of fios. Comcast or DirecPath for new condo's cable and internet?

Old 11-20-2010, 08:57 AM

1,114 posts, read 1,940,146 times
I have their internet service and its great in my condo.

Here's a speedtest I just ran through my Remote Desktop since I'm out at sbx:

I've seen the down as high as 80Mb/s. You won't get that out of Comcast, AT&T, or Clear.

The cable side, I feel like I'm overpaying for Directv but that's my own laziness in dealing with their customer service. My DVR I bought 2 yrs ago lost a lot of the HD channels and I have to get DirecPath to service the connection which is annoying since I'm always working and can't be home to deal w/ them.

Edit: forgot to mention that the internet is bundled into my HOA fees so I don't know the exact cost but if I recall it started ~$20/mon per unit and they indexed it to CPI or something along those lines. It may be more depending on how the apt deals w/ it.

Last edited by Mishap; 11-20-2010 at 09:08 AM..

Old 11-20-2010, 09:11 AM

4,144 posts, read 5,738,136 times
Those are incredible speeds. I wish, this was available besides in apts and condos.

Old 11-20-2010, 09:15 AM

1,114 posts, read 1,940,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
Those are incredible speeds. I wonder, where is their service area in this market...
They can accomplish those b/c they are mostly a point to point service running fiber to an entire complex at once. BTW, they are very local given their HQ is inside the Biltmore building in Midtown. Given it's Novare HQ as well, I wonder how closely the two are tied.

AT&T could probably get close to those speeds given they go fiber to the curb but I'm sure they split the connection down so much, there isn't that much excess bandwidth left. Probably little chance of Verizon FIOS coming anytime soon unfortunately.

Old 11-20-2010, 10:00 AM

4,144 posts, read 5,738,136 times
Verizon is done with FIOS for now.

I wish, I could get fiber.

If you don't mind, how much do you pay for Internet, if it is broken down separately on your bill?

Old 10-22-2012, 01:34 PM

118 posts, read 325,426 times
I had direcpath at emerald palms in miami. It was the drop dead slowest internet ive ever seen for $29.95. They charge a $25 install fee amd another $30 foea cable modem. I got as slow as 10kbps during peak times. It once took me 30 minutes to load a youtube clip. I'm switching to comcast now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta