U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 11:30 AM

1,856 posts, read 2,906,057 times

Advertisements

I worked in fayetteville and found it to be a nice town. Its a lonnnnng ways from atlanta(which I lived) so the commute was long but no traffic. Because most traffic was coming north in the mornings. Its a very quaint town and everyone knows each other. Nice shopping centers and great places to eat. Very nice houses and the people are very friendly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 03:28 PM

3 posts, read 7,025 times
Default I have lived in Fayetteville for 4 years and love it!

When we moved down here from Minnesota everyone told us to move to Peachtree City. We looked at many homes but realized that we could get more for our money in Fayetteville plus still have the benefit of Fayette County schools. It is a great town, quiet and pretty. Everyone is friendly, shopping is great and there are some terrific restaurants to boot!

There is great police presence and they are tough. I have heard so many people (from PTC) say "oh you shop at the Pavillion?" as if I just stepped into a scary movie. I shop there all the time and have nothing but good things to say about it. It is clean, well cared for, great shopping. There is crime everywhere in the world, but as someone pointed out, if you get caught by Fayette County police you are done for as they don't beat around the bush. I love the whole area. Peachtree City is a pretty town, it has no downtown area though, which I think is a shame. It is very crowded with no room to grow, they have used up all the space. The golf cart paths are great but not in the best condition because they are well used by golf carts, runners, walkers and bikers.

Don't let people put you off Fayetteville, it is a great place to live!

Old 06-10-2013, 05:10 PM

3 posts, read 5,770 times
Default Good place to live

Good place to live...if you like some diversity. I love it and have no complaints. I have great neighbors and it is diverse with blacks, white, indians, asians...no problems at all and it is above the downtown area toward the pavillion. Don't let people experiences or personal opinions drive your decisions. Drive through and you will see. Good luck to all and take advantage of the affordable housing here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
JUSTNANCY -- Every negative opinion you see stated about Fayetteville is rooted in race, so please consider the source! The situation is this: For decades, Fayette County was seen as a safe-haven for upper-middle class white people, who moved there in droves during the '70s and '80s to escape blacks moving into DeKalb, South Fulton, etc. For a long time, Fayette's minority population county-wide hovered around the 5 percent mark. Fast-forward 30 years: In the last decade, the county has gone from 11 percent black to 21 percent -- and most of them live in the area nort of Fayetteville to the Clayton / Fulton line. Still, that's far from a majority, and what I call "diversitiy." There are also quite a few Hispanic, Asian and African families in Fayette now. And the Bubbas don't like it! Being from South Florida, I suspect you're a bit more open-minded?

It's true that Fayetteville is changing. But the perception doesn't necessarily match reality. Increase in the number of minority residents aside, the main thing that effects what people see is the presence of Fayette Pavilion on the northern edge of Fayetteviille. Before it was built, you couldn't buy a decent pair of shoes without driving to another county. Now, all those people drive tp Fayetteville. And guess what? At lot of them are black! The local newspaper did a survey a few months back and found that two-thirds of all shoppers in Fayetteville lived in Clayton or South Fulton counties, majority black areas. The simple fact is: Most of the black faces that others see around Fayetteville (and panic about) live somewhere else, and they're just there to go about their daily lives. Crime is crime; no worse in Fayetteville than anywhere else in Metro Atlanta. Is there more than there was 20 years ago? Of course -- the population has double! Is most of it committed by blacks? Unfortunately. But that's the reality anywhere. And for the bigots who love to dismiss Fayetteville it's just fuel on the fire.

And I have to say this: My family has been in Fayette County for 8 generations, though I currently reside in Savannah. My parents (both 74) live less than half a mile from the Pavilion, a place some will have you believe is a war zone in a ghetto -- which is a total load of crap! My mom and aunt shop there all the time -- BY THEMSELVES! -- and they aren't afraid. Are they careful? Of course -- as everybody should be. This whole notion that you could once leave your front door unlocked at night is stupid. Nobody ever did that. But some people are going to pine for the "good ol' days" and hate change no matter what. To them I say: GOOD RIDDANCE! My family isn't going anywhere, and plenty of my friends families are staying put too. In fact, as the black population of Fayette County increased on the past decade, the white population stayed pretty much the same. Better still, the growing minority population is assimilating into the community just fine and you bet your Sunday shoes some people don't like that: Example: Up until about 15 years ago, the large Southern Baptist church in Fayetteville where I was raised (and which my parents still attend) was absolutely 100 percent lily white ... not a tad of diversity in the place! But today you'll see a true rainbow of faces and cultures there -- and not just African-Americans but new immigrants from Korea, Southeast Asia, Eastern Europe, India and Northern Africa. Personally, I wouldn't have it any other way.

BOTTOM LINE: If you like a little diversity and color among your neighbors, by all means look into Fayetteville. There's a lot of good housing there now at bargain prices.

Old 06-10-2013, 05:20 PM

3 posts, read 5,770 times
Fayette is a good place to live. Been here couple years now and no complaints whatsoever. People that are running to other places to keep their race in the majority like 90%-100% will forever be running because diversity is inevitable and if you cannot live with it I feel bad for you really. God Bless.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:36 PM

34 posts, read 85,293 times
My family and I are relocating to Fayetteville in the next couple of months as we're having a home built. I posted another thread a month or so ago asking about a diverse move and this was one of the places mentioned. Our realtor was trying to get us into Peachtree City, but for us to build a new home would have been out of our range if we could have even found an area to build. We're looking forward to moving there as we were originally moving into Atlanta, but found better rated schools and a lower crime rate in Fayetteville, which our realtor was proud to mention. So far I've heard positive things about our neighborhood and it's neighbors, as there are black, white, indian and asian from what I've been told, which makes me happier.

We're moving from South Dakota, which is a long, long way from being really diverse, even though they think they are. My wife and I are a interracial couple with a 4 year old, and are looking forward to living in a area that hopefully has open-minded and intelligent people living in it. I've had enough of the narrow-minded people in SD, hopefully things are different here.
People always talk about these situations like it's the plague or something. I don't have a problem with anyone that doesn't have one with me. I have friends who are close friends, not people that I worked with, these are real friends. They're black, asian, indian, and white. Guys that I've known for twenty-thirty plus years and we would do anything for each other and that's the way it should be, but unfortunately, everyone doesn't think the same.
Anyway, I'm buying a house in this neighborhood in the $350,000 range, so I can hope that there aren't any thugs buying homes in my neighborhood..

Last edited by cbest23; 07-01-2013 at 10:00 PM..

Old 07-02-2013, 09:51 AM

5,243 posts, read 4,409,153 times
Best of luck on the move. If you are looking for a good family friendly town, Fayetteville is great. I grew up there and love to call it my hometown.

Biggest problem in Fayetteville.... crappy restaurants. They can't keep a good non chain restaurant going there to save their life.

Old 07-02-2013, 04:06 PM

34 posts, read 85,293 times
Thanks so much tikigod311, I really appreciate it!! I love good restaurants, I guess we'll have to drive a little..

Old 07-02-2013, 04:13 PM

13,198 posts, read 16,036,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Best of luck on the move. If you are looking for a good family friendly town, Fayetteville is great. I grew up there and love to call it my hometown.

Biggest problem in Fayetteville.... crappy restaurants. They can't keep a good non chain restaurant going there to save their life.
I disagree Tiki! Franks at the Mill is good. City Cafe is good. Johnny's Pizza (which is actually headquartered in Fayetteville) is good. And thankfully, the city does have some good chains -- Olive Garden. Longhorn, O'Charlies.

Fayetteville is getting a Panera Bread!

Old 07-03-2013, 01:10 PM

5,243 posts, read 4,409,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I disagree Tiki! Franks at the Mill is good. City Cafe is good. Johnny's Pizza (which is actually headquartered in Fayetteville) is good. And thankfully, the city does have some good chains -- Olive Garden. Longhorn, O'Charlies.

Fayetteville is getting a Panera Bread!
Good call on the two local places. I do like City Cafe, strong German influence and great pastries. Franks is too pricey, great setting though.

Growing up here, I definitely noticed a strong aversion to anything adventurous in F-town. Seemed anytime a new restaurant opened up, it was closed within a year. The preferred food of Fayetteville is fast and chain based. PTC was and is always a better choice for food in Fayette county.

Old 07-03-2013, 05:39 PM

9,407 posts, read 11,262,930 times
Biggest mansion in Georgia is in Fayetteville:
794 Evander Holyfield Hwy, Fayetteville, GA 30214 (MLS# 7079711) - Fayetteville GA Real Estate - ColdwellBankerAtlanta.com

45,000 sq ft, 350,000 gallon pool on 104 acres for 8.2mm!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta