U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 04:14 PM

4 posts, read 24,604 times

Advertisements

Hello Again,

Is Fayetteville, GA a generally safe city? We have two small children and we hope to find a newly built home in the $250k-$280K range. What are some of the better neighborhoods, and what areas should we stay away from in our search? ANY advice would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 02:42 PM

14,271 posts, read 15,235,030 times
Default Fayetteville, Newnan, Peachtree comparison

I am resurrecting this old thread from 2010, because I'm trying to follow the rules and not start a new topic when one is active. However, I have searched all over CD for a thread about living in Fayetteville and comparing the surrounding cities and can't find too many. Maybe I'm a just lousy searcher!

Anyway, I noticed there are communities in Fayetteville and Newnan with small homes as low as $100,000, and not just foreclosures and short sales. Peachtree City is a lot higher from what I can tell. I always thought it was well out of my price range, but I've seen a few houses listed in the low to mid $100s.

Is there a big difference between these 3 cities? Usually the expression "you get what you pay for" applies to most things, and I realize "a picture is worth a thousand words" is also true. A map shows me that they're right next to each other, i.e., Fayetteville is only a 15 minute drive from Peachtree City.

By the way, unlike the OP, I have no children. Since I am over 60, schools aren't too important, although good schools often indicate the quality of a town.

Can anyone list the main differences - positive or negative? I don't think I've ever read a negative remark about Peachtree city which has sparked my curiosity for years.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:11 PM

64 posts, read 186,676 times
Dont move to fayetteville its changing fast and not for the good u should look into Newnan

Old 08-05-2011, 06:21 AM

744 posts, read 2,049,684 times
If I were an older person looking to buy in that area , I would look mainly in south Fayette county ( Tyrone, Brooks, Peachtree City) and Coweta County ( Newnan ,Senoia ).
The previous poster is correct in that things are getting rougher in Fayetteville .
There are houses in these areas that are in that price range. You just really have to hunt them out.
If you want you can check satistics on zip skinny( Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed ) . fayetteville's zip code is 30214/ 30215 and Peachtree City's is 30269

Last edited by Yac; 11-08-2011 at 07:20 AM..

Old 08-18-2011, 12:48 PM

3 posts, read 44,224 times
Todd and go falcons - can you elaborate on why Fayetteville isn't a good pick. I was looking for a nice place on the southside with good schools and had Fayetteville at the top of my list. Is it safety?

We are looking at schools and have small kids. We are in our mid 30s

Old 08-18-2011, 01:00 PM

64 posts, read 186,676 times
fayetteville is changing fast all the thugs from Riverdale and clayton county right door are taking over fayetteville Riverdale is 1 of the most dangerous cities in Georgia u should look into Newnan Ga

Old 08-18-2011, 01:07 PM

3 posts, read 44,224 times
@Todd Ok thanks for the heads up!!

Old 08-18-2011, 01:16 PM

635 posts, read 1,235,332 times
I would go with peachtree city, it seems like the most perfect retirement area ever, except its not near a beach I would also suggest Sun city peachtree. Its a new del webb active adult community 55+ yrs minimum I think its going to be spectacular in my opinion. Oh and in peachtree city all you need is a golf cart, it has 93 miles of golf cart paths which also are bike lanes and running rails that connect to pretty much the whole of peachtree city.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:31 PM

744 posts, read 2,049,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd hayes View Post
fayetteville is changing fast all the thugs from Riverdale and clayton county right door are taking over fayetteville Riverdale is 1 of the most dangerous cities in Georgia u should look into Newnan Ga
Todd has said my sentiments exactly.
I strongly recommend that you look at communities south of the Ga Hwy 85 / Hwy 54 interchange.The areas of Fayetteville that are towards the Peachtree City area are pretty safe. The areas above the court house in Fayetteville - not so much . There really has been an influx of crime coming down from the Riverdale area.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:53 PM

13,093 posts, read 15,900,406 times
JUSTNANCY -- Every negative opinion you see stated about Fayetteville is rooted in race, so please consider the source! The situation is this: For decades, Fayette County was seen as a safe-haven for upper-middle class white people, who moved there in droves during the '70s and '80s to escape blacks moving into DeKalb, South Fulton, etc. For a long time, Fayette's minority population county-wide hovered around the 5 percent mark. Fast-forward 30 years: In the last decade, the county has gone from 11 percent black to 21 percent -- and most of them live in the area nort of Fayetteville to the Clayton / Fulton line. Still, that's far from a majority, and what I call "diversitiy." There are also quite a few Hispanic, Asian and African families in Fayette now. And the Bubbas don't like it! Being from South Florida, I suspect you're a bit more open-minded?

It's true that Fayetteville is changing. But the perception doesn't necessarily match reality. Increase in the number of minority residents aside, the main thing that effects what people see is the presence of Fayette Pavilion on the northern edge of Fayetteviille. Before it was built, you couldn't buy a decent pair of shoes without driving to another county. Now, all those people drive tp Fayetteville. And guess what? At lot of them are black! The local newspaper did a survey a few months back and found that two-thirds of all shoppers in Fayetteville lived in Clayton or South Fulton counties, majority black areas. The simple fact is: Most of the black faces that others see around Fayetteville (and panic about) live somewhere else, and they're just there to go about their daily lives. Crime is crime; no worse in Fayetteville than anywhere else in Metro Atlanta. Is there more than there was 20 years ago? Of course -- the population has double! Is most of it committed by blacks? Unfortunately. But that's the reality anywhere. And for the bigots who love to dismiss Fayetteville it's just fuel on the fire.

And I have to say this: My family has been in Fayette County for 8 generations, though I currently reside in Savannah. My parents (both 74) live less than half a mile from the Pavilion, a place some will have you believe is a war zone in a ghetto -- which is a total load of crap! My mom and aunt shop there all the time -- BY THEMSELVES! -- and they aren't afraid. Are they careful? Of course -- as everybody should be. This whole notion that you could once leave your front door unlocked at night is stupid. Nobody ever did that. But some people are going to pine for the "good ol' days" and hate change no matter what. To them I say: GOOD RIDDANCE! My family isn't going anywhere, and plenty of my friends families are staying put too. In fact, as the black population of Fayette County increased on the past decade, the white population stayed pretty much the same. Better still, the growing minority population is assimilating into the community just fine and you bet your Sunday shoes some people don't like that: Example: Up until about 15 years ago, the large Southern Baptist church in Fayetteville where I was raised (and which my parents still attend) was absolutely 100 percent lily white ... not a tad of diversity in the place! But today you'll see a true rainbow of faces and cultures there -- and not just African-Americans but new immigrants from Korea, Southeast Asia, Eastern Europe, India and Northern Africa. Personally, I wouldn't have it any other way.

BOTTOM LINE: If you like a little diversity and color among your neighbors, by all means look into Fayetteville. There's a lot of good housing there now at bargain prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta