U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2007, 11:37 PM

2,464 posts, read 5,688,478 times

Advertisements

My family and I are considering a move to the northern area of Atlanta - my husband is considering a big promotion and the company is in Kennesaw. We would be moving from L.A. to ???? So my question is, what opinions do people have of Roswell, Acworth, Canton, Woodstock, Kennesaw or anything close to Kennesaw? Our kids are young (3 and 1) so family oriented areas w/ good schools would be ideal. Also, we will be renting then buying a house - we are searching up to a price range of 400K maybe more if the area calls for it. Any negative/positive opinions welcomed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 10:45 AM

919 posts, read 2,858,924 times
We almost moved to Marietta..my husband was offered a great position too in the Kennesaw area..however after doing some investigating, we felt it would Not be a good place to live...for many reasons..one being the climate and it being so unlike the North where we are from...

Old 12-11-2007, 10:54 AM

11,319 posts, read 21,901,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaharbour View Post
We almost moved to Marietta..my husband was offered a great position too in the Kennesaw area..however after doing some investigating, we felt it would Not be a good place to live...for many reasons..one being the climate and it being so unlike the North where we are from...
I moved here from the Twin Cities, and the differences in climate between here and there can be summed up fairly quickly:

(1) Same summer weather here in terms of heat/humidity, thunderstorm and tornado risks, etc, but the summer lasts much longer in Atlanta.
(2) No winter here to speak of, just a wonderful long fall season.
(3) Atlanta normally gets twice as much rain as Minneapolis on average. Just not recently.

One of the things I like about living down here is the fact that the summer is not as bad as I was expecting. Yes, it gets hot, and the summer months get old after a while, but no more so than one can find in southern Minnesota (we just see 90+ degree days more frequently down here, that's all, but 100 is rare in both places), and the large number of parking ramps in the Atlanta means that hot steering wheels and seats aren't as much of an issue as they could be.

I can certainly understand there are reasons for not wanting to live here, but I'm not sure I can see how weather could be one of them.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:05 AM

9,124 posts, read 32,110,748 times
IMO, Woodstock, Canton and Holly Springs are all excellent choices, but Roswell has gotten far too overcrowded for my liking. While many folks here will tell you that you need to stay in Cobb County to get the "good" schools, we've found Cherokee County's schools to be a well-kept secret, and I think more and more people are realizing that it's a great place to live.

For $400k, you can buy plenty of house, and depending on where in Kennesaw your husband's office is, the commute likely won't be too painful.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:19 AM

3,647 posts, read 4,633,898 times
Kennesaw is in Cobb County. The address for Kennesaw expands as this area has grown. Kennesaw proper is in between Acworth and Marietta. It sounds like you can have what many people would give their right arm for in metro Atlanta -- a very short commute. I certainly wish I could find one. Roswell is a lovely, well established area, but I would try living closer to work. You can probably do a bit better on the house price and tax in Cobb or Cherokee. The traffic around Woodstock, especially around 575, is horrendous. See what side of 75 your husband's office will be located on and use that as a starting point. The housing in the suburbs is pretty and there seems to be a Publix grocery on every corner (our largest grocery chain, based out of Florida). Just realize that traffic is very heavy during both rush hours daily. This includes all side streets. I am a native who returned a few years ago.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:02 PM

383 posts, read 716,904 times
I would say West Cobb is your best bet.....nice, family-oriented neighborhoods, and not a bad commute to Kennesaw.

Old 12-15-2007, 11:00 AM

3,615 posts, read 6,291,600 times
I'll repeat exactly what I said in another post about someone working in Kenessaw:

Working in Kennessaw basically opens up all of Cobb County South of Kennessaw (Vinings, Marietta, Smyrna, Mableton, Powder Springs, Austell, etc), especially along E-W Connector, Barrett Parkway, or 75/285 because commutes are great heading North. With your budget, you can afford probably 50%-75% of the homes in Cobb County. :-)

I'd give a +3 for the Vinings area because it'll give you job flexibility to work downtown or midtown ATL some day.

I'd avoid areas North of Kennesaw because you'll be competing with too many commuters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or