U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2010, 01:47 PM

3 posts, read 7,134 times

Advertisements

Currenlty living in Marietta, my husband just got a job in Tucker. Seems a bit far from Marietta. Thinking about moving over closer to Tucker. We have girls in 4th grade. I am not seeing many positive things regarding neighborhoods or schools over that way. Anyone know of a safe town with good schools near Tucker? Looking to buy a home but only want to spend about 160,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2010, 02:15 PM

8,862 posts, read 14,380,385 times
Snellville would be 20-30 minutes from Tucker.

Old 11-21-2010, 05:18 AM

20,895 posts, read 32,882,944 times
I think that Tucker in DeKalb is generally well-regarded. My stepsister has lived on the northern fringe of Tucker for years and as a single mother feels very safe there. Her son came up through the Evansdale/Henderson/Lakeside school cluster and she has overall been pleased with the schools, particularly Evansdale Elementary.
To the west of Tucker, you have the Emory/Northlake area and then Oak Grove. These are great neighborhoods with very reputable elementary schools: Oak Grove, Sagamore and Briarlake. I love living in Oak Grove.

Old 11-21-2010, 01:24 PM

426 posts, read 2,109,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I think that Tucker in DeKalb is generally well-regarded. My stepsister has lived on the northern fringe of Tucker for years and as a single mother feels very safe there. Her son came up through the Evansdale/Henderson/Lakeside school cluster and she has overall been pleased with the schools, particularly Evansdale Elementary.
To the west of Tucker, you have the Emory/Northlake area and then Oak Grove. These are great neighborhoods with very reputable elementary schools: Oak Grove, Sagamore and Briarlake. I love living in Oak Grove.
But $160,000 is not going to buy a home anywhere west of Tucker. I would second the suggestion on Snellville. Lilburn and the Gwinnett side of Stone Mountain are very nice areas too. For schools, it's best to try to get into the Brookwood and Parkview clusters. I know your kids are not high school aged but Shiloh, serving a good chunk of Snellville, is God-awful...I would assume the schools that feed into that school are just as bad.

Old 11-21-2010, 05:53 PM

20,895 posts, read 32,882,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stvincent View Post
But $160,000 is not going to buy a home anywhere west of Tucker.
True, but Tucker itself seems to offer options at that price point.

Metro Atlanta Homes for Sale :: Ponce Realty

Old 11-21-2010, 07:49 PM

12,892 posts, read 20,969,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomaxh View Post
Currenlty living in Marietta, my husband just got a job in Tucker. Seems a bit far from Marietta. Thinking about moving over closer to Tucker. We have girls in 4th grade. I am not seeing many positive things regarding neighborhoods or schools over that way. Anyone know of a safe town with good schools near Tucker? Looking to buy a home but only want to spend about 160,000.

Based on your criteria and price point, I recommend that you look in the following areas:

1. The Parkview High Cluster in Gwinnett County in the South Lilburn/Mountain Park/North Stone Mountain area.

2. The Brookwood High Cluster in Gwinnett County in the North Snellville/South Lawrenceville area.

*Here are some helpful links for the suggestions above--

http://www.gwinnett.k12.ga.us/gcps-m...map121109b.pdf

Gwinnett County Public Schools Cluster Boundaries

http://www.gwinnett.k12.ga.us/gcps-m...w&0~QuickLinks

http://www.gwinnett.k12.ga.us/gcps-m...w&0~QuickLinks

-> great schools (K-12), great homes, great options, great neighborhoods, and a great commute.

If needed, there are other areas (as some suggested in previous posts) that could be options for you:

The Lakeside High Cluster in DeKalb County, The Chamblee High Cluster in DeKalb County, The Druid Hills High Cluster in DeKalbe County, The Tucker High Cluster in DeKalb County, The Norcross High Cluster in Gwinnett County, The Grayson High Cluster in Gwinnett County, and The Duluth High Cluster in Gwinnett County.

However, I do think the Parkview and Brookwood clusters will suit you best (and you'll find what you are looking for).

I hope this helps. Good Luck!

Last edited by aries4118; 11-21-2010 at 08:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta