U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-22-2010, 01:09 PM
 
Location: ITP - City of Atlanta Proper
7,809 posts, read 11,789,495 times
Reputation: 5442

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
In a way, Sembler could be the best thing to ever happen to some of L5P's retailers. And building next to L5P might prove to be a huge mistake for Sembler, or at least for some of their tennants.

For instance, what better way to shine a light on how boring and overpriced it is to buy books or music at a soulless cubes such as Barnes and Noble and Best Buy, when you could go to Acapella, Criminal or Wax n Facts?
My thoughts exactly, especially when it comes to people in their teens to their 30s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-22-2010, 01:32 PM
 
12,981 posts, read 21,114,430 times
Reputation: 4122
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
...
There's not really a strong nightlife ditrict south of the ones in Virginia-Highlands and Decatur.
...
Ever hung out in...

EAV?
North Grant Park (along Memorial)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2010, 01:52 PM
 
1,498 posts, read 2,554,847 times
Reputation: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Last time I was in L5P at night was for a concert at the Variety Playhouse about a month ago. There were people everywhere before and after the concert, and the bars were mobbed. It's not like that every weekend?

I don't go there as often as I did in the '90s and early '00s, but it seemed like as soon as The Point closed, things changed in L5P.
It seems like the only time large amounts of people go out there is after a show at Variety. But then again, that's the only time I have ever gone out there, so I could be wrong. It just seems that in contrast to Buckhead, Midtown, VA-Highland, Decatur, or even East Atl., I never hear of people going to L5P just to go out. I get the feeling its more of a locals bar scene and post-concert spot than a regional nightlife destination that pulls people from all over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2010, 01:55 PM
 
3,213 posts, read 4,529,412 times
Reputation: 1754
The bars always seem crowded whenever I go out there, and I live in Midtown, and I don't know anyone who lives in Inman Park. So, yeah, I don't know how well-founded your theory is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2010, 04:39 PM
 
2,564 posts, read 3,605,074 times
Reputation: 2950
L5P is a little weird. There have been nights where I've ridden through from the Inman Park side on Euclid and it looked like a ghost town. This wasn't very late either: maybe 12 or 12:30 am on a Sunday morning. The bars are a little more spaced out than they are in EAV and only the Brewhouse and Porter have outdoor seating so maybe people are still in the bars.

It can be weak compared to EAV or VaHi but those areas are kind of weak as well in comparison to the party districts in other cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2010, 06:06 PM
 
Location: Atlanta and St Simons Island, GA
21,203 posts, read 33,187,246 times
Reputation: 12874
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
It seems like the only time large amounts of people go out there is after a show at Variety. But then again, that's the only time I have ever gone out there, so I could be wrong. It just seems that in contrast to Buckhead, Midtown, VA-Highland, Decatur, or even East Atl., I never hear of people going to L5P just to go out. I get the feeling its more of a locals bar scene and post-concert spot than a regional nightlife destination that pulls people from all over.
Yes, you are wrong. L5P is a big destination for folks from all over the metro and beyond. Try actually spending some time down there and you'll see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2010, 06:33 PM
 
1,498 posts, read 2,554,847 times
Reputation: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Yes, you are wrong. L5P is a big destination for folks from all over the metro and beyond. Try actually spending some time down there and you'll see.
I have never been there when a concert wasn't going on, but that doesn't mean I have not spent time there - been to probably 25 shows at Variety. There was never masses of people walking the sidewalks from bar to bar like in the other districts, except for when the show got out. True, it is a destination - for those who want a Roor, some vintage clothes, old records, a tattoo or piercing, or any other subculture merchandise you can think of. I stand by my statement though - as a nightlife district, I wouldn't consider it in the same tier as the others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2010, 07:40 PM
 
Location: Atlanta and St Simons Island, GA
21,203 posts, read 33,187,246 times
Reputation: 12874
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
I have never been there when a concert wasn't going on, but that doesn't mean I have not spent time there - been to probably 25 shows at Variety. There was never masses of people walking the sidewalks from bar to bar like in the other districts, except for when the show got out. True, it is a destination - for those who want a Roor, some vintage clothes, old records, a tattoo or piercing, or any other subculture merchandise you can think of. I stand by my statement though - as a nightlife district, I wouldn't consider it in the same tier as the others.
Fine. I've been down there when you could barely move and a lot of the crowd looked far more East Cobb than Cabbagetown. The area is very popular with the 25-39 crowd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2010, 08:34 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
7,732 posts, read 11,818,734 times
Reputation: 2774
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Fine. I've been down there when you could barely move and a lot of the crowd looked far more East Cobb than Cabbagetown. The area is very popular with the 25-39 crowd.
I totally concur. BBC simply has no idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2010, 08:44 PM
 
2,564 posts, read 3,605,074 times
Reputation: 2950
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Fine. I've been down there when you could barely move and a lot of the crowd looked far more East Cobb than Cabbagetown. The area is very popular with the 25-39 crowd.
When is it like that other than when they have the Halloween parade? Honestly, I've never seen L5P 'packed' other than when they have the parade. It can be considered a little busy some nights(particularly when the Variety has a decent show), but where you could 'barely move'?! I've never seen it like that.

It seems more active during the daytime due to all the retail. That's primarily what it is now...a retail area. There's only 3 music venues there now(4 if you count shows at Criminal Records) and they're spread out. The bars are pretty low key as well.

Oh, and how can you tell East Cobbers from Cabbagetown folks? They're starting to look the same to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top