U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-22-2010, 09:00 PM
 
Location: Jersey City, NJ
349 posts, read 662,337 times
Reputation: 307

Advertisements

I havn't read every single reply but I remember being disgusted when they started building up Little 5 Points. The condos and shopping center have certainly (I suppose) brought down crime but I felt like it killed the character when it first starting happening. Now that some time has passed I think it was actually positive as it has brought more people to the area and made it more vibrant - even if said people don't have tattoos and piercings. As long as it remains a more bohemian environment I welcome the change. You can hit other parts of Atlanta for more mainstream culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-22-2010, 10:13 PM
 
Location: Decatur
461 posts, read 902,145 times
Reputation: 245
Why does no one park in the lower level at Target etc? There are usually about 3 cars, maybe 10 during holiday season. All I know is, I feel super smart and proud of myself every time I park down there. It's like crazy loons and havoc a plenty in that parking lot, but the lower level is all good all day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2010, 10:16 PM
 
1,498 posts, read 2,551,448 times
Reputation: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
I totally concur. BBC simply has no idea.
Interesting. I didn't realize saying L5P is more of a retail destination than a nightlife one would strike such a chord with the homer crowd. But youre right, what would I know about going out in this city? I'm just a 24 year old native who does it every weekend. I guess I need another 20 years or so to have an idea about where the major nightlife spots are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2010, 10:21 PM
 
2,564 posts, read 3,597,952 times
Reputation: 2950
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakhurstlauren View Post
Why does no one park in the lower level at Target etc? There are usually about 3 cars, maybe 10 during holiday season. All I know is, I feel super smart and proud of myself every time I park down there. It's like crazy loons and havoc a plenty in that parking lot, but the lower level is all good all day.
I keep forgetting that it's there..and I usually ride my bike up there anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2010, 06:59 AM
 
Location: Atlanta and St Simons Island, GA
21,048 posts, read 33,064,129 times
Reputation: 12736
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Interesting. I didn't realize saying L5P is more of a retail destination than a nightlife one would strike such a chord with the homer crowd. But youre right, what would I know about going out in this city? I'm just a 24 year old native who does it every weekend. I guess I need another 20 years or so to have an idea about where the major nightlife spots are.
I guess we fiftysomethings that are not only natives of the area but drive through L5P 7-8 times a week forget that your opinions are omniscient and unassailable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2010, 08:04 AM
JPD
 
11,883 posts, read 14,516,551 times
Reputation: 7568
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Interesting. I didn't realize saying L5P is more of a retail destination than a nightlife one would strike such a chord with the homer crowd. But youre right, what would I know about going out in this city? I'm just a 24 year old native who does it every weekend. I guess I need another 20 years or so to have an idea about where the major nightlife spots are.
By your own admission, you only go to L5P to see shows at Variety. Maybe you should check out some local bands at the Star Bar or Five Spot, or any of the free in-store shows at Criminal. Then hang out for a while at the Yacht Club. You'll gain a little more expertise on the area and the local people that way than just by going to see out of town acts at Variety.

One of the reasons L5P is not a nightlife destination that draws in people from all over the metro area is because the Inman Park neighborhood has implemented parking and noise ordinances that make nightlife very difficult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2010, 08:27 AM
 
28,183 posts, read 24,769,791 times
Reputation: 9570
I have to admit the only places we go in L5P are the Star Bar and the Brewhouse to play poker or trivia. While there's an active nightlife I don't recall seeing crowds of people walking the sidewalks. But we usually just go to our destination and then leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2010, 11:52 AM
 
1,498 posts, read 2,551,448 times
Reputation: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
By your own admission, you only go to L5P to see shows at Variety. Maybe you should check out some local bands at the Star Bar or Five Spot, or any of the free in-store shows at Criminal. Then hang out for a while at the Yacht Club. You'll gain a little more expertise on the area and the local people that way than just by going to see out of town acts at Variety.

One of the reasons L5P is not a nightlife destination that draws in people from all over the metro area is because the Inman Park neighborhood has implemented parking and noise ordinances that make nightlife very difficult.
So? You don't have to go somewhere every weekend to know its not a nightlife destination, nor do you have to have "expertise." Not everybody lives in a bubble - there is such a thing as hearsay, and it works pretty well in deciding where you want to go on a Friday night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2010, 11:59 AM
 
1,498 posts, read 2,551,448 times
Reputation: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I guess we fiftysomethings that are not only natives of the area but drive through L5P 7-8 times a week forget that your opinions are omniscient and unassailable.
I wouldn't go that far - more that you forget a 20-something native would know more about where the best places to go out are. L5P isn't one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2010, 12:14 PM
JPD
 
11,883 posts, read 14,516,551 times
Reputation: 7568
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
So? You don't have to go somewhere every weekend to know its not a nightlife destination, nor do you have to have "expertise." Not everybody lives in a bubble - there is such a thing as hearsay, and it works pretty well in deciding where you want to go on a Friday night.
Is your only point that L5P is not a nightlife district like Virginia-Highland?

Well Duh. Of course it isn't. It never was and never will be. Ask any bar owner in L5P if they want to be similar to Va-Hi or Buckhead. Take a wild guess what they'd tell you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top