Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 06:43 PM

747 posts, read 1,544,440 times

Advertisements

I remember before the Edgewood Retail District was constructed there was a lot of fear that L5P would suffer. As in, traffic would be horrific, chains would move in, customers would ignore the old for the new, etc. Do you guys think it had any noticeable negative effect on L5P?

http://clatl.com/atlanta/mayhem-on-m...nt?oid=1240391
Mayhem on Moreland

Traffic. People. Big retail boxes. Sembler's plans for Moreland would change intown Atlanta forever.

While the opposition is in its early stages, it appears to be gaining steam. Experienced activists in nearby neighborhoods, like Inman Park, who cut their teeth on the fight against the old Presidential Parkway, now are a part of the effort. To raise money for a possible legal battle, Butler's group is selling T-shirts for $10 each. Outback Bikes and Junkman's Daughter have already agreed to sell them. The shirts show an enormous, menacing joker, a la a jack-in-the-box, popping out of a big box retail shop. The joker, labeled Sembler, is holding a car the way Zeus wields lightning bolts, and looks wickedly down on a terrified-looking pedestrian walking along Moreland Avenue.

Last edited by koko339; 11-20-2010 at 06:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2010, 08:08 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,531,911 times
That's hilarious. If anything that shopping center is probably the best thing to ever happen to that part of town. There's more people than ever in L5P. That area south of there used to be pretty scary before that complex was built. It has come a long way since.

I will say that the development isn't the best in design. It's hardly walkable. There aren't enough crosswalks inside the complex(not that Atlanta drivers pay attention to such silly things as pedestrians). Still though, it's damn convenient.

That article cracks me up...Atlanta's intown "character"...bwahaha...I guess they mean rundown ghetto because that's what a lot of the area was until that development spurred investment.

L5P is lame nowadays anyway. That article treats it like it's some sort of national treasure when it's nothing but a bunch of headshops, tattoo parlors, and dive bars. Like I said, there are more people in L5P on a daily basis then there ever has been.

Old 11-20-2010, 08:44 PM

461 posts, read 1,068,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
L5P is lame nowadays anyway. That article treats it like it's some sort of national treasure when it's nothing but a bunch of headshops, tattoo parlors, and dive bars. Like I said, there are more people in L5P on a daily basis then there ever has been.
Lil5 is the same as it's always been. You've just gotten older...

Old 11-21-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakhurstlauren View Post
Lil5 is the same as it's always been. You've just gotten older...
You're probably right. I did think it was a lot cooler and interesting when I was 15.

I do think all the hipsters have something to do with it too though.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:33 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Maybe it's time to shake up L5P like we were talking about with Castleberry Hill. You get these yuppies moving in and the next thing you know they act like they own the place. If they want peace and quiet let 'em move to Dawson County.

Old 11-21-2010, 02:55 PM

Are there any chain stores in L5P besides American Apparel and Starbucks?

Old 11-21-2010, 03:54 PM

Both Rag-O-Rama and Clothing Warehouse are chains.

Zesto's, The Vortex, Front Page News, Bill Hallman, Outback Bikes, Psycho Sisters, Arden's Garden, Ali Baba's, Yoforia, Aurora Coffee, Abbadabbas, Corner Tavern, and Savage Pizza can technically be considered chains since there are more than one location.

Last edited by DTL3000; 11-21-2010 at 04:18 PM..

Old 11-21-2010, 04:38 PM

444 posts, read 703,685 times
Wouldn't it be cool if Little Five Points and the Edgewood development actually merged together with infill so that the two areas were one big continuous walking area? I don't know much about the two, but what's preventing developments in the gap in between the two areas?

Old 11-21-2010, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYbyWAYofGA View Post
Wouldn't it be cool if Little Five Points and the Edgewood development actually merged together with infill so that the two areas were one big continuous walking area? I don't know much about the two, but what's preventing developments in the gap in between the two areas?
It would be pretty cool. There isn't really anything between them besides Dekalb Ave and the train tracks. The ramps are kind of obnoxiously large for that intersection but I think they may make good sculpture parks or something interesting like that.

They should do something with that old gas station next to Sherwin Williams. Maybe a bar along the lines of the Standard or Diesel may work.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:13 PM

There are some nice empty parking lots on the east side of Moreland between McLendon and Dekalb that could hold some great infill. When the time comes...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta