Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 08:50 AM

6 posts, read 15,089 times

Advertisements

I have been living in Roswell all my life (born 1989) and am trying to remember how places and streets used to be before they changed.

For example, I remember when PGA Superstore used to be Cub Foods, the golf course by Barnwell, and when Home Depot used to be WalMart. How do you remember Roswell being?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 09:56 AM

17,416 posts, read 65,593,232 times
How about 400 ended at Holcomb Br?
Holcomb Br was a two lane road, with no lights and ended at Horseshoe Bend? Horseshoe Bend used to be in the Milton HS district when it was at it's original location. New Town was an actual community with it's own school? Nesbit Ferry Rd when to the river? Jones Br Rd when to the river before CCOS was built?
An on, an on, an on.

Old 11-24-2010, 12:07 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,457,623 times
I remember the Beverage Warehouse(original location) was pretty much the last store as you went north on Hwy 9...loooong gap after that before you reached A-retta. A-retta Hwy was two lane at that point and they had a cop directing traffic in/out of the parking lot. The week before the 'Hooch Raft Race was unbelievable in beer sales! This was 1980 or so.

Martin's Landing was a nationally known pehnomenon...who would think of building something THAT elaborate THAT far 'out of town'.

Gabby's Pizza had pita bread sandwiches long before everyone 'discovered' pita bread.

Beau Rivage Apts were considered 'luxury' units back then.

The Public House on the Square was the first nice restaurant I visited in Roswell, 1980. That stretch of Atlanta Rd/Roswell Rd/A-retta Hwy/Hwy 9 was my first encounter with a reversible travel lane! Even back then, the traffic along there was horrible.

Ah, memories!

Old 11-24-2010, 08:43 AM

23,325 posts, read 43,794,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Martin's Landing was a nationally known phenomenon...who would think of building something THAT elaborate THAT far 'out of town'.
That's what I remember, too. Martin's Landing is really what put Roswell on the map in the 70's as a desirable suburb of Atlanta. Before that, no one seemed to consider that there was life beyond Sandy Springs.

Old 11-24-2010, 11:00 AM

Some history on Martin's Landing:
Major James Stephens Bulloch of Savannah had settled in a farm house four miles east of where they would build their permanent home, Bulloch Hall. The Bullochs first home was in the present day Martin’s Landing subdivision off Holcomb Bridge Road; while their house (Bulloch Hall) was under construction.
Martin's Landing broke ground in late 68-69 on the old farm land. Martins Landing was way ahead of its time when construction started in the early 70s. It consists of 1964 household units within twelve subdivision communities, which include single family dwellings, patio homes, condominiums, town homes and apartments.
Parks, playgrounds, walking trails, bike trails, lakes, fishing facilities, docks, boat launching areas, playing-fields, swim and tennis facilities, all linked by greenbelts which run throughout the neighborhood.
The idea was to draw a higher tax base to this part of Fulton County. At the time ML was part of unincorporated Fulton County (along with everything East of the 400/Holcomb Bridge Road).
Though ML had it's own volunteer fire department it was soon clear that the fire and police needed to support the sprawling community was insufficient. In the mid seventies ML was annexed into Roswell which practically doubled it's population.
Development started around the lake and grew outward until the late seventies/early eighties. Two developments, North and South Shore featured an asundry of modern and contemporary designs--the noted 70's style, slanting boards and an all-concrete and glass house with a solarium.
Initially the homes cost about $60-80'000 with an average interest rate of 15%. The Condos (the Sails) broke ground in the mid-seventies and the apartments a few years later. The ML HOA wasn't established until 1980.
Today ML is very diverse with Hispanic, African-American, Indian and Asian families. But in the seventies the demographics in ML was all white and largely from other parts of the country. Southern Roswell was suddenly awash in the "New Yankee invasion."
In 1972 Crestwood High School was built to relieve the population at Roswell High. Most ML students went to Crestwood. The school was designed by an architectural firm that designed prisons---the same firm that built the Sandy Springs government building still standing near Morgan Falls Landing.
Crestwood was best known for having no windows, all-rubber floors and surrounded by a desolate desert of mica-dirt. Crestwood's most noted graduate was Pete Buck, bass guitarist for R.E.M.
A few years later, Esther Jackson Elementary was built inside ML (this land had always been deeded for a school).
Crowley's pub and diner on the corner of Roswell Road and the Chattahoochee River become the meeting place of students from both, Roswell and Crestwood high for many years.

Old 11-24-2010, 12:47 PM

256 posts, read 747,963 times
^That is very interesting! The first time I drove through Martin's Landing, I remember noticing the similarities between it and Indian Hills (aside from the golf course). Now I understand why, because they were built at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
How about 400 ended at Holcomb Br?
Holcomb Br was a two lane road, with no lights and ended at Horseshoe Bend? Horseshoe Bend used to be in the Milton HS district when it was at it's original location. New Town was an actual community with it's own school? Nesbit Ferry Rd when to the river? Jones Br Rd when to the river before CCOS was built?
An on, an on, an on.
Just to clarify for others, CCOS stands for Country Club of the South.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:42 PM

255 posts, read 461,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaf Mike View Post
I have been living in Roswell all my life (born 1989) and am trying to remember how places and streets used to be before they changed.

For example, I remember when PGA Superstore used to be Cub Foods, the golf course by Barnwell, and when Home Depot used to be WalMart. How do you remember Roswell being?
ROFLOL! I'm a transplant to Roswell. I feel like a newcomer. I'm always being told about how I don't know the real Roswell because of all us newcomers moving in. But I remember when PGA Superstore used to be Cub Foods, the golf course by Barnwell, and when Home Depot used to be WalMart.

Course, I guess it's all in your perspective. I moved there in 1996 when you were seven years old.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackalope View Post
... the golf course by Barnwell...
Rivermont Country Club (Golf course), I assume that the one you are referring too- has been there since 1973. The whole community (Rivermont) was started on the heels of Martin's Landing because of the low land cost back in the day.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:08 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,262,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaf Mike View Post

I remember when you could ride down Atlanta Hwy through Roswell and NOT see dozens of illegal day laborers hanging out without ANY worry of the Roswell Police. Ah the good ol days!!

Old 01-28-2011, 02:29 PM

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta