Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2010, 02:47 PM

3 posts, read 4,703 times

Advertisements

[LEFT]Hello all-

My boyfriend and I are looking to relocate, and Atlanta is right up there on our list of possibilities. I would be going to Emory. I really don't know anything about the city, I'm looking for an insiders view. Whats the atmosphere like? Rent? (we'd be living in a one bedroom, and we don't mind going for somewhere less than fabulous). We'd definitely want something in a more urban area. Mostly I'm just looking for some tips and hints about living in the city.

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/atlanta/847517-moving-atlanta-soon-read-first-decatur.html#ixzz163A4P1xK"][/URL]
[/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 02:59 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
First, it's Atlantans.

The rest is too all-encompasing for me to even begin to answer. Just show up, have a look around, find something that looks enjoyable, and start participating.

Just like you'd do in any other city.

Old 11-23-2010, 01:42 AM

927 posts, read 2,226,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahanron View Post
[LEFT]Hello all-

My boyfriend and I are looking to relocate, and Atlanta is right up there on our list of possibilities. I would be going to Emory. I really don't know anything about the city, I'm looking for an insiders view. Whats the atmosphere like? Rent? (we'd be living in a one bedroom, and we don't mind going for somewhere less than fabulous). We'd definitely want something in a more urban area. Mostly I'm just looking for some tips and hints about living in the city.

[/LEFT]
At the risk of providing over-generalizations, I will provide over-generalizations. There are numerous neighborhoods within the 3 primary CBDs of Buckhead, Midtown, and Downtown. Buckhead is generally for the old money and/or yuppies. Downtown is for the urban pioneers. Midtown is the most popular and most wide-ranging (from hippie to cosmopolitan to old money). Midtown hoods are what I think would be of most interest to you, and their respective generalizations and proximity to Emory, if that makes a difference, are below. Most of these are east of midtown/downtown:

- Druid Hills- really a suburban atmosphere, probably not where you'd be finding an apartment, but plenty of Emoryites live here and this is the neighborhood Emory's located in if you come across the name. Close proximity to the hoods listed below that offer more options in terms of retail and nightlife and more urban environments.

- Virginia Highland- next to Druid Hills, 2nd closest nabe to Emory. Where Emory folk (usually frat boy types) often go to party. Great selection of bars and restaurants for the general population, however. Mostly consists of single-family homes, family friendly place, but it wouldn't be my top choice for a college/grad school aged student. Great neighborhood though.

-Poncey Highland- A hair south of Va-Hi, about 5 minute drive from Emory campus. No distinct centrality like Va-Hi (which is named after the intersection of Virginia and Highland Avenue and all of its activity is pretty much centered around that), but consists of some cool spots. More hip than yuppie. No real sense of community as much as other Midtown neighborhoods though.

-Inman Park- separated from Va-Hi by Ponce de Leon (a popular street in Atlanta stretching from downtown to the suburbs), Inman Park is popular for young professionals, has an artsier vibe than Va-Hi and like Poncey Highland is less yuppie, plenty of shopping/dining but not as many fun bars as Va-Hi, imo, and would personally be one of my first choices if I moved intown. About 5-10 minute drive from Emory.

-Midtown mile- along Peachtree St, mostly condos/apartments, the most urban of the mentioned hoods, so close proximity to basically everything and you're less likely to need a car here. All the major bars/clubs can be found near or on Peachtree St, including a block south on Crescent Avenue, where our most concentrated nightlife is. If you're familiar with NYC at all, think of midtown as Tribeca and the other hoods as the gentrified parts of Brooklyn. More of a chic (Midtown) vs. funky (the other hoods I mentioned) dynamic. About 10 minute drive from Emory.

These are just a few my favorite neighborhoods. There is way much more to add, but it'd be too much for one post. But I'd start with these, and check out the website of creative loafing, our alternative weekly, because they break down events by their respective neighborhoods and you can get a sense of what kind of vibe you'd prefer: www.clatl.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta