U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2007, 10:08 AM

908 posts, read 3,380,179 times

Advertisements

I know the most common advice on this board is "buy a home that is close to work". I definitely agree with this if you expect to be at that job for the long-term. But most 20-somethings do not fit into this category; young professionals often change jobs every 3 years or so. In this case, wouldn't the better advice be "buy a home close to major employment centers"? By doing this, your career path won't be hurt by limiting yourself to specific employment centers.

Here's an example...I currently rent an apt 3 blocks from my Alpharetta office. My wife is new to the Atlanta area and is still looking for a job. After she finds a job, we plan on buying a townhouse or house. But even if she finds a job in Alpharetta, we probably would not buy here. This is because Alpharetta is not convenient to some of the biggest employment centers (buckhead, midtown, downtown, and cobb pwky). Even Perimeter might be a stretch b/c of 400 traffic. So when we decide to look for new jobs, our options would be limited.

So don't you think it would be better in situations like this to just buy in an area that is convenient to multiple employment centers (such as Vinings, Dunwoody, Sandy Springs, or southern East Cobb)?
Obviously you can buy and sell every time you change jobs, but you would probably lose a lot in transaction fees. You could also rent until you find a stable job you love, but that might not happen for a decade.

Anyways..just curious what other people think about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 10:23 AM

425 posts, read 1,560,245 times
That is precisely the reason why we chose to live in Sandy Springs instead of Candler Park (which was our first choice). When I plotted job centers on a map around the metro area, I kept coming back to SS/Dunwoody as being centrally located. To the north, you have two job centers in Roswell and Alpharetta. To the south, you have Buckhead and Midtown/Downtown. To the west, you have Cumberland. To the east, you have Norcross and Northlake. Also, you are sitting on top of the largest job center in the metro area in Perimeter Center.

The drive to Midtown is pretty much painless from where I live and traffic on 400 is usually not a factor (until you reach Brookwood on 85/75) from the Glenridge exit going south bound. Add cruise card to your car and you can get to Midtown in 10 minutes (I have timed it many many times just to prove my friends wrong).

Last edited by nrgpill; 07-10-2007 at 10:35 AM..

Old 07-10-2007, 10:34 AM

985 posts, read 5,217,442 times
I have to agree. Dunwoody is most central location to all job centers.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:43 AM
JPD

11,849 posts, read 14,459,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Blue 99 View Post
But most 20-somethings .

Well, there's the problem. Most 20 somethings probably shouldn't be buying houses to begin with. That's way to early to know what you want out of life. By the time you get to 30 you have a better idea and are much better equipped to make such important decisions.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:44 AM

826 posts, read 2,733,369 times
I think original poster has an excellent point.

Old 07-10-2007, 11:04 AM

313 posts, read 1,122,241 times
When you're younger you are probably able to move much more easily though...less crap to move, probably renting...so you might as well live close to work.

I did that anyway when I was younger...I moved when I changed jobs...I didn't have much stuff and could finish a move well before the end of a Saturday!

Old 07-10-2007, 11:53 AM

9,190 posts, read 29,570,003 times
Quote:
I know the most common advice on this board is "buy a home that is close to work". I definitely agree with this if you expect to be at that job for the long-term. But most 20-somethings do not fit into this category; young professionals often change jobs every 3 years or so. In this case, wouldn't the better advice be "buy a home close to major employment centers"? By doing this, your career path won't be hurt by limiting yourself to specific employment centers.
If you are 20-something and change jobs every 2-3 years, then the best thing to do is rent, not buy.

We're no longer in an age like our parents or grandparents where you get hired for a company and work there until the day you retire and get a big pension. Today many people change careers frequently, and even if you do want to stay with just one company, chances are you'll be "downsized" and booted before you hit retirement age.

Even so, if you move around a lot and/or change jobs a lot, renting though expensive, is probably the best option. Once your lease is up, pack a few boxes and poof, move to the new job location. No yard or maintenance to worry about. Once you hit your 30s/40s you'll be less likely to up and leave jobs so often to see new things, so then it's a better deal to plant roots and buy.

Old 07-10-2007, 11:58 AM

481 posts, read 2,548,146 times
Quote:

So don't you think it would be better in situations like this to just buy in an area that is convenient to multiple employment centers (such as Vinings, Dunwoody, Sandy Springs, or southern East Cobb)?
Yes, exactly. And that's exactly why those four locations are so popular. If you can afford it, I would definitely go with one of those areas.

Old 07-10-2007, 12:02 PM

826 posts, read 2,733,369 times
I agree if you are not in stable in your career you are better off renting. Fortunately my husband and I have stable careers, love our companies, and plan to stay. We are in our 20's, bought a house 1 1/2 years ago, and the home has appreciated 25%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or