U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 02:55 PM

79 posts, read 378,731 times

Advertisements

I think the point here is that if you are shopping for an Atlanta-area public school system, just really do your homework. I am a self-proclaimed private school snob (private schools my entire life, top 5 university). We can easily afford private school education, so I never in a million years thought I would send my kids to public school. We live in Johns Creek, and couldn't be happier with the schools. Our second daughter is starting this August in the elementary school.

If we had stayed in our "excellent" school system in the Philadelphia suburbs, my oldest would have spent only 2.5 hours a day in her Kindergarten class-- just enough time for circle time, snack time, and recess. In her K class here, she was busy with journaling, reading, math and science.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 06:07 AM

2 posts, read 2,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
Thank you all for your thoughts. I'm actually going to print it out and research the towns mentioned. My husband and I have considered putting our kids into private school if it calls for it - though, I've always thought it wasn't a "real world" environment - "what if my kids act like Paris Hilton?" was my argument against it.

I find it interesting that the age of a house was mentioned. I actually like "older homes" homes but when I look on Realtor.com most of the homes are less that 10 years old. What's up with that?

Anyway, thanks again
Realtor Profit and Owner security in the older structure's integrity.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:40 AM

2 posts, read 2,053 times
[SIZE=2]You will find folks making the, "East Cobb," statement, true. But, having lived all around the Atlanta area 22 years I can tell you that if there is a diassociation from Marietta it is more likely that folks don't want to be linked to a town growing in crime and a lacking budget to deal with it. Not to mention the old military installations and "oops sa daisies" that go along with it.
The "East Cobb," phrase doesn't phase me at all. The truth be known, it is more a sign of ignorance than snobbery. In the late 80's and early 90's the students at public schools in ",East Cobb," were tested for lead residue in there systems. Discouraging levels of lead in the area ("EAST COBB COUNTY") were revealed to the public (in news broadcast) noting it to be the cause of the slow learning ability of the children there. The later a fact that prompted the study.
Advice:
Do the research on contaminated dumps in the area you're looking for a home. Illegal spills and distribution of contaminated waist was our northern sector's plague as business was brought into the area with a no questions asked policy to accomodate the population influx.
In looking into the statistics of schools, please find out the drop out rate in your area. It is a problem, thus the crime rate. The easy does it children might be to whom your child gravitates.

Some actions have made a differrence in the area. We think the trees always a good thing. But, in a high density area a ring of extremely towering trees held the 16 hour motor vehicle exhaust in like low lying fog. In other words purging wind never made it to a then 2 million population within the perimeter and up I-75.
With the new construction in our area and fuel formula requirements this factor has greatly been diminished, an exception the I-20 corridor further south. Keep the windows up when driving, maybe this is why there are over 400 accidents a day in the metro area. Folks are driving 70 to 90 mph to get to a place to breath.

Alpharetta may be a better bet. But, comute time is not as important as relationship with the family, an overlooked consideration in that area.

[/SIZE]

Old 05-31-2009, 09:50 PM

263 posts, read 691,183 times
I will admit I didn't read all of the posts. We live in Woodstock and have been here for almost 9 years. We really like it here! We have 2 private schools (at least that I know of) close to us, Cherokee Christian School and American Heritage Academy. We are close to 575 which makes for easy commuting. I would highly recommend Woodstock (cherokee county)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta