Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 09:44 AM

20 posts, read 88,026 times

Advertisements

Money aside, what areas of Atlanta would be ideal for families to live in. The area would be safe, have access to playgrounds, gyms, shopping, etc. This can be any area, since we are now looking into this to decide upon what is ideal for our family and our two boys.
Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 09:51 AM

17,427 posts, read 65,639,498 times
1. North Fulton- But I'm bias!
2. South Forsyth
3. East Cobb

9. Gwinnett Co.
10. City of Atlanta

Old 08-19-2010, 11:38 AM

1,145 posts, read 4,195,085 times
Where will you be working?

Old 08-19-2010, 12:52 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,613,301 times
One with a reasonable commute, so you can see your family, attend daytime events at school, etc.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:13 PM

31,995 posts, read 36,561,769 times
If money's not an issue I'd probably vote for some of the Buckhead neighborhoods. Great shopping, schools and medical care, tons of kid's sports and activities, a very diverse housing stock, very low crime, lots of other families, easy access to other parts of the city.

There are many other excellent options and some close seconds, both intown and in the suburbs, but Buckhead pulls together what you're looking for and has plenty of "old Atlanta" charm for grownups as well.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:22 PM

2 posts, read 6,143 times
South Forsyth has some of the best schools in the state, offers affordable housing, and has plenty of recreational opportunities. Great shopping at the Avenues of Forsyth, as well as close proximity to Cumming (one exit up GA400 has tons of restaurants and shopping), and also just a short drive to North Point shopping/dining in Alpharetta. South Forsyth's taxes are lower than in neighboring N. Fulton, and the traffic in S. Forsyth is tolerable (unlike Alpharetta, which can be a bear to tackle during rush hour).
If you are interested in checking out the school statistics, take a look at South Forsyth High. They have amazing scores. I would start my home search with neighborhoods around there, as access to GA 400 and Hwy 141 is very easy.
Also Lambert High is a brand new (just opened last year) school in S. Forsyth. That immediate area offers higher priced housing if you are interested in that. Neighborhoods like Laurel Springs, St. Marlo Country Club, and Turnberry are very nice, as well as Grand Cascades and Olde Atlanta Club.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:32 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,963,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
1. North Fulton- But I'm bias!
2. South Forsyth
3. East Cobb

9. Gwinnett Co.
10. City of Atlanta
I think it's odd that you break off parts of Cobb, Fulton, and Forsyth, but lump Gwinnett into one. The county is 437 square miles, with 800,000 people, and 15 cities. Surely we can break off a part here or there. Sorry to jack this thread, but this really makes me mad sometimes.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:36 PM

23,353 posts, read 43,816,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsonga View Post
I think it's odd that you break off parts of Cobb, Fulton, and Forsyth, but lump Gwinnett into one. The county is 437 square miles, with 800,000 people, and 15 cities. Surely we can break off a part here or there. Sorry to jack this thread, but this really makes me mad sometimes.
Considering said poster carries an unreasonable bias for a large part of the metro (particularly ITP), I'm not surprised. IMO, the suggestions come off as Lily White = Good Atlanta.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:59 PM

16,643 posts, read 29,333,107 times
Quote:

For real though--and this has been mentioned before.

I'll do it...The Gwinnett equivalents to East Cobb, South Forsyth, and North Fulton:

-North Gwinnett
-East Gwinnett
-Peachtree Corners
-South Lilburn/Mountain Park
-North Snellville/Brookwood
-Suwanee

...and there's more.

Old 08-19-2010, 04:23 PM

11,334 posts, read 25,992,953 times
Quote:
There's nothing wrong with raising a family in most of Cobb, for example. East Cobb has the snob factor, sure, but there are many other areas in that county with nice developments, schools which will do a good job with the kids, plenty of shopping, good restaurants, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta