Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 12:04 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,054,003 times

Advertisements

A while ago, I had a conversation with my friend in California. I think I made some comment complaining about being stuck behind a bicyclist peddling up a hill, who refused to get out of the way and I couldn't pass him, forcing me to drive 10 mph for a couple of minutes. Not a big deal, but annoying. His response was this:

"Everybody hates cyclists. Even ultra-liberals in San Francisco hate them."

Seems to be true. If you do a Google search for "everybody hates bicyclists" on Google, you'll get plenty of returns. Apparently, the sentiment is echoed in Twitter. But since nobody cares what anybody on Twitter thinks, that's a different story....

Anyway, I don't want to start a whole thing about why we should love cyclists or why it's ok to hate them. I just want to put it out there that if you cycle on the road - and especially if you cycle on 2-lane roads during rush hour - everybody hates you, whether they admit it or not. And this isn't a backwards Atlanta phenomenon, it's a natural human reaction in American, and from what I can tell, also European cities.

From what I've read, it sounds like the hated of bicyclists among drivers and pedestrians (who, btw, also hate cyclists) is deeply rooted in their upsetting of the social order of the road. At least, that's what this article thinks: BBC - Future - The psychology of why cyclists enrage car drivers

But I'd still like to offer a couple of tips to cyclists that may reduce everybody hating them to just most people hating them:

1) If you are struggling to pedal up a hill or otherwise traveling very slowly, at least make an effort to get as far to the right as you can to allow cars to safely pass you.

2) If you're going to drive on the road, obey the laws of the road. That means stopping at red lights and stop signs.

3) At least make an effort to use less traveled roads at times when there aren't as many people trying to get places.

4) If you're riding with friends, ride single file, not next to each other (I know you know this!)

Well, there you have it. You can call me whatever you want, but it had to be said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 12:23 AM

7,356 posts, read 6,525,292 times
5) If there's a perfectly usable 10-foot wide dedicated bicycle trail 6 inches from you, USE IT! Just please USE IT! I see this a lot on the Stone Mountain-Decatur trail, there'll be some bicyclist just cruising along, holding up all kinds of traffic, and there's this perfectly good train literally right next to them! It's not only rude, and a safety hazard, it's also illegal!

Old 09-11-2014, 06:08 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,349,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
5) If there's a perfectly usable 10-foot wide dedicated bicycle trail 6 inches from you, USE IT! Just please USE IT! I see this a lot on the Stone Mountain-Decatur trail, there'll be some bicyclist just cruising along, holding up all kinds of traffic, and there's this perfectly good train literally right next to them! It's not only rude, and a safety hazard, it's also illegal!
Pretty sure it's only illegal if the adjacent path is exclusively for cyclists and I don't think that's the case for the Path built ones.

Georgia Bicycle Traffic Laws
Quote:
In Georgia, mandatory use of a bicycle path adjacent to a roadway can only be required if that path is for the exclusive use of bicycles (no pedestrians).
Are there really that many cyclists that far out on weekdays? It seems a bit busy to go that way during the week.

Old 09-11-2014, 06:13 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,370,988 times
The feeling is mutual. I hate most drivers because they are complete idiots.

Old 09-11-2014, 06:38 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
A while ago, I had a conversation with my friend in California. I think I made some comment complaining about being stuck behind a bicyclist peddling up a hill, who refused to get out of the way and I couldn't pass him, forcing me to drive 10 mph for a couple of minutes. Not a big deal, but annoying. His response was this:

"Everybody hates cyclists. Even ultra-liberals in San Francisco hate them."

Seems to be true. If you do a Google search for "everybody hates bicyclists" on Google, you'll get plenty of returns. Apparently, the sentiment is echoed in Twitter. But since nobody cares what anybody on Twitter thinks, that's a different story....

Anyway, I don't want to start a whole thing about why we should love cyclists or why it's ok to hate them. I just want to put it out there that if you cycle on the road - and especially if you cycle on 2-lane roads during rush hour - everybody hates you, whether they admit it or not. And this isn't a backwards Atlanta phenomenon, it's a natural human reaction in American, and from what I can tell, also European cities.

From what I've read, it sounds like the hated of bicyclists among drivers and pedestrians (who, btw, also hate cyclists) is deeply rooted in their upsetting of the social order of the road. At least, that's what this article thinks: BBC - Future - The psychology of why cyclists enrage car drivers

But I'd still like to offer a couple of tips to cyclists that may reduce everybody hating them to just most people hating them:

1) If you are struggling to pedal up a hill or otherwise traveling very slowly, at least make an effort to get as far to the right as you can to allow cars to safely pass you.
You must give cycylist 3 ft of space, there is not at enough width for a car to pass, I am taking the lane. Deal with it
2) If you're going to drive on the road, obey the laws of the road. That means stopping at red lights and stop signs.
100% agree, I even hate other cyclist.
3) At least make an effort to use less traveled roads at times when there aren't as many people trying to get places.
Sometimes cyclist want to take the quickest route possible, too. We have that right, cars are allowed on freeways, so if you are in a hurry take the freeway. I promise you won't encounter a cyclist there.
4) If you're riding with friends, ride single file, not next to each other (I know you know this!)
Its is safer and easier for cars to pass cyclist that are riding 2 abreast, than to pass a single file line of 15 cyclists. Under GA law it is legal to ride 2 abreast.
Well, there you have it. You can call me whatever you want, but it had to be said.
A lot of bad behavior by cyclist, running red lights and stop signs gives cyclists that follow the law a bad name. I follow the law to the tee, but why aren't you getting upset at drivers that speed, run red lights and stop signs, or text and drive? It goes both ways.

Old 09-11-2014, 07:08 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
I don't mind cyclists when they are out for a Sunday ride, but for God's sake, get out of the fargin way during rush hour.

Old 09-11-2014, 07:19 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I don't mind cyclists when they are out for a Sunday ride, but for God's sake, get out of the fargin way during rush hour.
Some of those are commuters.

Old 09-11-2014, 07:20 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,872,781 times
Not everyone hates cyclists. Its just that driving makes people angry and dangerous.

Cyclists have every right to be on the road as cars. If you don't want to be stuck behind them then push for more dedicated right of ways for bikes. Of course that may mean you have to give up one of a half a dozen traffic lanes.

Old 09-11-2014, 07:42 AM

18 posts, read 46,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
There's a reason why cyclists don't use the trail. I frequently ride to Stone Mountain on the weekend and I use the path for certain parts, but mostly, I ride on the road. Multiple reasons:

1. The path has a lot of walkers and families and I ride up to 25 mph. Not safe for anyone.
2. The path has a TON of driveway crossings/transitions that are bumpy and cause riders to slow down too much.
3. I ride solo and stay to the right and I have never seen anyone have much trouble getting safely around me.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:20 AM

46 posts, read 59,672 times
Metro Atlanta is an 8,000 square mile cathedral built around the worship of the automobile. If car commuters can't be happy with having to make the most minor of concessions to cyclists here, maybe driving just isn't for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta