U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2010, 02:57 PM

16,248 posts, read 20,585,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwlawrence View Post
Is there a MARTA stop at Rockbridge and Hairston? How is that intersection?

What about the communities off Martin Road?

I know this may come off as a naive question.... but, demographically this area is 90% African American. Would a young white couple with a young child moving into the neighborhood be seen in a negative light? I don't know how things are there, but I know many other places that are predominantly one race do not like when any person of another race moves in (its part of the research that I did for the last two years). Most often its the other way around, sure, but I don't want to be the token white family if that get dirty looks when we go for walks. I would much rather be invited over to the neighbors for dinner and offer the same to them, no matter what color, creed, etc.
When you move there, order up 2 shirts with the word VICTIM on them. No, you will not be seen in a bad light but the local thugs that inhabit that area will take special note that "whitey is here now" and target you for special attention. They terrorize the blacks there randomly. So you won't get dirty looks and some of the local natives might have dinner with you but you will get well acquainted with the local thugs, burglars, car thieves and robbers.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwlawrence View Post
Cheap waterfront property close to MARTA and downtown and close to a smaller town center (like Stn. Mtn.) and a great park, I suppose. Not deadset, just curious and exploring my options. IMHO, I am surprised Stone Mountain is not a hot area, seems to me that it has everything to offer... if just a bit run down. I was turned off a bit today, however, after looking at National Sex Offender Registry - Family Watchdog...

Anyhow, I am also looking at Tucker, Snellville, Lawrenceville, Lilburn, and Norcross as well.
Snellville is OK but has a burglary problem. And Shilo is not the best school in the metro either. You don't have to worry about being murdered there though like you would in Stone Mountain. Same with Norcross. Lawenceville is the nicest of the areas and Lilburn and Tucker are good places as well.

Old 11-27-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvincent View Post
Martin Road, the Mainstreet subdivision, North and South Hariston Road are closer to 98-99% Black, not 90%. It's rare to even see white person in a grocery store or at a gas station pumping gas in these areas.

As to how you would be accpeted: I think as you talk to people and get to know neigbors and friends, EVERYONE would ask why you moved to that particular neighborhood. As long as you're friendly and could get past that initial question from everyone you meet, I would not think your race would not be a problem. Upper income black areas are not as friendly to whites but the areas you're referring to are solidly middle class as best. The area is nice, most of it is aging, as those who can afford to are leaving that area of the county for points further east and southeast.

Since you are white and want convenience, good schools, and obviously some time of racial diversity I would second the Tucker suggestion, Lakeside schools. Close to the intown areas, good schools, lots of racially mixed areas, liberal, progressive.

And I hate to be one of the annoying people to ask this question but: Why do you seem so deadset on living in an area which seemingly would offer you little to no benefit?
Yeah- most of us would like to live to see tomorrow!

Old 08-17-2012, 02:50 PM

1 posts, read 433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Stone Mtn Lithonia Rd area is nice 30087 zip code, South Indian Creek Drive by Indain Creek station isnt bad,, Redan Rd from Panola to Welborn rd is okay (AVOID Redan Rd btwn Panola and Algood Rd). Roland Rd area isnt bad either.
South Indian creek isnt bad. I live there and my patna was killed at the townes by the marta station over something stupid. idk why yall try and confuse these folks about stone mountain yea it aint poverty but its not sweet either. And bruh do u live round me???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta