U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 04:15 PM

7 posts, read 20,483 times

Advertisements

Hi! We are relocating to the Atlanta area from Georgia in November and I have several questions that I hope someone will be able to help me with.

1. What are the names of some nice towns on the outskirts (north east) of Atlanta with good school districts? We are looking to buy a house in the price range of 275,000 to 375,000 with at least a 1/2 acre lot.

2. What is the average cost of utilities, home owner's insurance, and car insurance?

3. What is the weather like?

4. What is the culture like compared to central California? Is there a racial divide? Our southerners really friendlier than people from other areas? Are there strong accents? How do Georgians feel about Californians?

5. What kinds of activities are there for a stay at home mom with a 2 1/2 year old?

Thanks in advance for your help and advice. I'm really curious about Georgia since I have never even visited the state and in a few months we'll be living there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 08:28 PM

16,248 posts, read 20,585,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Enos View Post
Hi! We are relocating to the Atlanta area from Georgia in November and I have several questions that I hope someone will be able to help me with.

1. What are the names of some nice towns on the outskirts (north east) of Atlanta with good school districts? We are looking to buy a house in the price range of 275,000 to 375,000 with at least a 1/2 acre lot.

You gotta live out in the sticks for that. Try Winder or someplace like that. Gwinnett has lots of nice houses but not on lots that big.

2. What is the average cost of utilities, home owner's insurance, and car insurance?

High but less than California by far. And you don't need earthquake insurance.

The weather is seasonal. Summers are hot and sometimes humid but not really terrible- 100 degrees is very rare. Winters are cold in the morning and mild by afternoon- like 30 at 7AM and 60 at 4PM. Snow is about once in 10 years and then only an inch or so (much more in the mountains north of the city).

4. What is the culture like compared to central California? Is there a racial divide? Our southerners really friendlier than people from other areas? Are there strong accents? How do Georgians feel about Californians?

There is no racial divide here and most of the people that live here are not southerners. They came here just like you. As for friendly, some are and some aren't. We have our share of *******s too.

5. What kinds of activities are there for a stay at home mom with a 2 1/2 year old?

I guess just watch TV or go hang out at the pool (every subdivision has one). Alot of moms and little kids also populate Stone Mountain park in the daytime.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice. I'm really curious about Georgia since I have never even visited the state and in a few months we'll be living there!
Don't you think it would be wise to check it out first?

Old 07-10-2007, 08:35 PM

1,516 posts, read 6,054,307 times

PuHHHlease don't listen to above poster who recommended that TV is the only thing for a stay at home mom. Clearly, he/she has no clue!

Check out Atlantaparent.com or gocitykids (atlanta). There are tons of things to do, free, cheap, expensive...that run the gamut of anything a sahm would need to get out of the house and do fun things with kids.

In my opinion, the best thing about Atlanta is what it affords kids in terms of quality of life. It is one of the best family friendly cities in the nation.

Old 07-10-2007, 08:44 PM

Thanks for your input. We are definitely planning on checking out the Atlanta area first, but I just wanted to have some info ahead of time. I will check out the websites the second poster recommended. Glad to hear there is no racial divide. What about the pace of life? Is it slower as I hear compared to California?

Old 07-10-2007, 08:58 PM

1,516 posts, read 6,054,307 times
Depends where in CA you're coming from. If LA, then yes. If NoCal, no. How to explain...overall sentiment is that it's a slower pace, until, of course, you get in your car.
While housing is much MUCH cheaper than anywhere in CA, it's similar in that you should station yourself near your work and/or school. You can definitely get an older home or a ranch for under 400K in some prime areas of town. Do you know where jobs will be yet?
You will hear strong accents. There are a lot of transplants here but we're still in the south. Some are cute...some, well, aren't.
Don't want to comment on racial divide. Depends on where you choose to live.
Overall, it's a great choice to raise a family.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:14 PM

29 posts, read 124,622 times
Rebecca - We are relocating from Riverside CA to Lawrenceville GA. You CAN definitely get a nice big house on 1/2 acre for $375k. We have been out 2x to look for ourselves. Last week we found several houses that fit that criteria. Feel free to email me and I'll give you details. Where are you moving from?

Old 07-10-2007, 09:45 PM

Larry,

We're moving from the San Joaquin Valley (Manteca). I'd love the details- how do I email you?

Old 07-11-2007, 12:21 AM

481 posts, read 2,548,146 times
Quote:

1. Northeast of Atlanta - Johns Creek, Duluth, Suwanee, historic Norcross, and parts of unincorporated Lawrenceville are really nice. Out of the northeast side, Johns Creek has the best schools by far but that price range will limit you as Johns Creek can be fairly expensive. You'll certainly find houses in the 300k range but your money may go farther elsewhere. There are parts of Duluth and Norcross that are very nice and parts that you should stay away from.

4. In metro Atlanta there's no racial divide (especial north metro), but there certainly is a wealth divide. There's just no getting around the dichotomy between rich and poor in metro Atlanta, it's bad to the point where in the last couple of years 3 entire new cities were created in north Fulton County because the rich residents of those areas were fed up with Fulton County taking all the tax money collected in North Fulton and spending it in the poorer (and also less populated) South Fulton County, and now people are speaking of splitting the county in two and all sorts of crazy stuff like that. Black politicians in Atlanta are calling the whole fiasco a racist debacle. I personally find it pretty funny... The poorer minority in the southside bossing around the "underdog" majority of rich white/Asian people on the northside, who outnumber the southside two to one and are trying to free themselves from the "oppressive grasp" of the black leadership.... haha that's a new one for the history books.

As for the other questions. It's not really relevant whether southerners are friendly or not because there aren't any southerners in north metro Atlanta. Nor southern accents. Atlanta is a city of immigrants from the rest of the country, you're about as likely to run into a southern accent in Atlanta as you are in California.

Old 07-11-2007, 04:47 PM

1 posts, read 3,501 times
Default Down from the valley as well..

Hello Rebecca,
I just arrived from Stockton California about 3 weeks ago but was actually able to come down every month for about 11 months or so. I agree with the earlier comment regarding take some time to come out and visit ,this was very helpful with the adjustment. Good Luck to you ....you'll enjoy Gegoria!

Monie

Quote:
Larry,

We're moving from the San Joaquin Valley (Manteca). I'd love the details- how do I email you?

Old 07-11-2007, 10:00 PM

Default Real Estate Agents in Atlanta area

Just wondering if you or anybody else could recommend a good real estate agent in the Atlanta area. Also, how big of an adjustment was it to make for you? - Rebecca
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or