U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2010, 06:32 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,686,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Birmingham is a beautiful city in a very beautiful setting.

It just needs to strive to be more like Charlotte, Nashville, or Raleigh-Durham. These are the cities that it can realistically emulate and are in the league just above.
How the hell is Birmingham in a league anywhere even close to these cities? maybe Raleigh(maybe) but definitely not Charlotte or Nashville!

That statement is just ridiculous!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 08:25 AM

87 posts, read 163,796 times
Having lived in b'ham for almost ten years and now currently living in atlanta I can agree with some of the posts that were made. Yes, crime in b'ham is one of the worse in the country; however, it is generally in certain places that most already know. Atlanta is much different in that you have "pockets" of crime surrounded by nice condos/townhomes, and single family homes. You go up 1 block and it looks nice and turn the corner and you're back in a rough area again. Birmingham is not like that. Unless your from Ensley, Fairfield, WestEnd, etc. then you have no need to even go there so for most that stay in hoover, vestatavia, trussville, mountainbrook, etc. it does not faze them. Their school systems are top notch without having to pay for private schools.

Bham has made terrible mistakes over the decades and will continue to suffer for them. For them to not have an updated airport says a lot. Overall, take away the surrounding areas of the Atlanta metro and it can resemble Birmingham. I know some people who would hate to live in Atlanta because of the traffic, but others won't mind. Overall, Atlanta is a much better place, but sometimes I find myself thinking I'm back in Birmingham when I'm riding around Atlanta.

Atlanta blew up into this major metropolis and has done a great job removing a lot of its "southern" roots; however, deep down it's still a southern city that just hide its past much better. We all know why they wont expand the MARTA into the suburbs. hmmmm

Old 12-01-2010, 11:05 AM

1,498 posts, read 2,546,173 times
Atlanta and Birmingham will continue to diverge paths. Evidence of this is mostly starkly seen in terms of core city population. Birmingham's is till declining, while Atlanta's is growing. It appears that the new national growth paradigm will be centered towards intown areas, whenever this recession ends.

The fact that Birmingham still hasnt bottomed out yet in terms of population, while Atlanta did in 1990, says a lot about where things are going for each respective city. Birmingham wont attract young people who want to live in a revitalized inner city, while on the other hand Atlanta, if it gets its sh*t together before the next boom period hits, will see an explosion in growth, since its already been revitalizing for 20 years. Birmingham seems to have missed the boat - it might be a long time before the city sees population growth.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:22 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,494,775 times
The difference between Atlanta and Birmingham is rooted in the pragmatism of Mayors Bill Hartsfield and Ivan Allen versus the sheer brutality of Bull Connor. The images of children being attacked by police dogs and fire hoses were burned into the minds of people throughout the world and had a large hand in deterring businesses to relocate to such a politically volatile environment. The added bombings--especially the infamous church bombing were four girls died--really hurt the city's image.

Fast forward to the current era, Birmingham has been fairly resilient as it has emerged as one of the top medical centers in the country. You will always here of a famous professional athlete or foreign dignitary traveling to Birmingham for medical treatment at one of their world-class facilities. However the downside to the city is persistent racial polarization of the metro area. Not that Atlanta is a shining example, but Atlanta has been able to muddle through any differences in order to move forward.

Birmingham definitely has potential with its beautiful setting and large white-collar population employed in medical services, but in the end it will be up to the residents of Birmingham to put aside differences and build upon common ground for a better future.

Old 12-01-2010, 02:43 PM

8,190 posts, read 11,853,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
How the hell is Birmingham in a league anywhere even close to these cities? maybe Raleigh(maybe) but definitely not Charlotte or Nashville!

No it's not; it's very accurate. He said, "It just needs to strive to be more like Charlotte, Nashville, or Raleigh-Durham. These are the cities that it can realistically emulate and are in the league just above." Birmingham's metro is around 1.2 million; Nashville's is about 1.6 million and Charlotte's is about 1.7 million. Yes, Nashville and Charlotte are in a league just above Birmingham.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:49 PM

12,917 posts, read 20,990,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post

No, I was spot on.

Civically insecure much?

Old 12-01-2010, 05:45 PM

8,190 posts, read 11,853,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
No, I was spot on.

Civically insecure much?
Very much so.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:11 PM

7,732 posts, read 11,771,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Very much so.
Actually, that's an understatement.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:25 PM

8 posts, read 12,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
The difference between Atlanta and Birmingham is rooted in the pragmatism of Mayors Bill Hartsfield and Ivan Allen versus the sheer brutality of Bull Connor. The images of children being attacked by police dogs and fire hoses were burned into the minds of people throughout the world and had a large hand in deterring businesses to relocate to such a politically volatile environment. The added bombings--especially the infamous church bombing were four girls died--really hurt the city's image.

Fast forward to the current era, Birmingham has been fairly resilient as it has emerged as one of the top medical centers in the country. You will always here of a famous professional athlete or foreign dignitary traveling to Birmingham for medical treatment at one of their world-class facilities. However the downside to the city is persistent racial polarization of the metro area. Not that Atlanta is a shining example, but Atlanta has been able to muddle through any differences in order to move forward.

Birmingham definitely has potential with its beautiful setting and large white-collar population employed in medical services, but in the end it will be up to the residents of Birmingham to put aside differences and build upon common ground for a better future.
This pretty much sums it up. I am a native of Jefferson county, note I did not claim to be a native of Birmingham, having been born and raised in the cutoff. That's western Jefferson county with Bessemer being it's "county seat". There is a definite polarization between Birmingham and the rest of it's county and state. It is as if the city has been handed over to the race politics and the crooks that fatten themselves at that trough. The suburbs (Mountain Brook, Vestavia, Hoover and Shelby county) are where the real political power lies and the strings that keep the city on it's feet are really pulled from there. As long as the old business interests continue to play the let the crooks take their cut as long as business is left alone it will never change. But then again the entire friggen state is run that way just look at Goat Hill, Milton McGregor and the bunch the feds just rounded up.
Nothing will ever change until the Alabama Constitution is rewritten to grant home rule for the counties and municipalities. As it sits now if any citizens group wants change they must first go hat in hand and grovel at the feet of the legislature, and even that is a byantine process where the representative of whichever county or district has potentate power to advance or kill local items at will.
I am of mixed emotions on this though as I like the slower pace of so called progress in my natal state. I am here in Atlanta solely due to my skill as a wildlife manager. Over here y'all folks have either forgotten or never knew how to deal with what us rednecks to the west take as a birthright. We eat our wildlife problems back home.
Please don't take that as a knock on Atlanta. It's been a fun ride for the last few years and I hope to ride it all the way to a nice retirement. Y'all folks pay good for what my redneck cousins would do for themselves. But that's life in the big city.
I really do hope that both Birmingham and the County Commision (which has recently been cleared out by the feds as well) get their heads out of their point of full contact and do something totally altruistic and actually serve the citizens rather than their own pockets.
BTW, if you really want to get some insight study the career of one Larry Langford, former mayor of Fairfield, former director of Vision Land, former chairman of the Jefferson County Commission, former mayor of Birmingham, current convicted felon.

Old 12-02-2010, 12:49 AM

2,671 posts, read 5,411,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
KevK and brownhornet are the people who make me itch. They act like Atlanta is the S**T and don't give Birmingham any credit. Come on now, Atlanta was once a hell hole and probably still is. A lot of times, it takes a city or anything to go through crazy transitions in order to have brighter future. Y'all shouldn't put Birmingham down; I mean, I know they are you all's opinions, but for real, give Birmingham a little more credit than that. There is a lot of things to do in Birmingham. There is a good nightlife in Birmingham. Sometimes, when you hate a city just to hate it, you miss out on the things that it has to offer because you are stuck hating a city for an irrelevant reason. I know I may say things about Atlanta, but I know in my heart that it a great city, but is overrated. In modern times, urban areas are probably the most blight and unfortunate areas in the world: crime, poverty, bad education, etc. I hate when people in Atlanta look at Birmingham like it's backwards. It is smaller than Atlanta, so of course, it's going to feel that way. Birmingham has a nice skyline, great restuarants, great shopping, great colleges, etc. for a city and a metro of its size. Let's not play the bullying game. We all know Atlanta is bigger and have more things to do, but with it being bigger, it has way more problems than Birmingham do. You guys talk about Birmingham, but at least the people in Birmingham don't have to sit in traffic for hours during the day, at least they still have their Southern charm, at least they are not putting too much hype into the success of one particular race, at least they are not experiencing growing pains that are haunting them presently. I can go on and on. People can talk about Birmingham, but at least it has everything that is essential for someone's life. It offers an urban atmosphere that is quite underrated. Before any person from Atlanta calls Birmingham a hell hole and talk bad about it, they should look at Atlanta's problems and should be quiet, since Birmingham has way less problems than Atlanta has. So quit it. It's so childish to call Birmingham names and to speak poorly about it, when Atlanta ain't all of that and has its own problems although it's a great city. Every city has problems; no city is better than the other one. I think this thread is useless.
So many contradictions, it's not even funny. Trying to make amends after endless posts of hate for the place you want your city to emulate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowOldGetWise View Post
For some reason, Birmingham reminds me of slightly overweight frat guys who enjoy wearing polo shirts and american eagle hats that are artificially roughed up, they might complement it with some camo cargo shorts. oh yeah, almost forgot, and their hair cut style will be like a old school bowl cut but a bit more shaggy, nice and cleaned up around the ears though, i think they have a factory somewhere in birmingham that produces these types as clones
Too funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulcontroller View Post
Atlanta blew up into this major metropolis and has done a great job removing a lot of its "southern" roots; however, deep down it's still a southern city that just hide its past much better. We all know why they wont expand the MARTA into the suburbs. hmmmm
Very good analysis. You're so right about your last statement though.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or