U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2011, 01:02 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,915,161 times

Advertisements

nashville, has always been known as the eastern most suburb of memphis. and though i have lived in memphis several years, i have heard memphians point out a particular idea they would like to see tried in memphis; however, i have never gotten a serious impression that memphis can't find or needs another city's identity. that is one thing that really draws me to memphis. it moves at its own pace, often called a "memphis thang". memphis really is its own place w/ its own identity.

of all the cities that i definitely know memphis would not strive to imitate, it would be nashville. as a city, it has had so much trouble trying to find an identity other than a country music town. they hate to be compared to hee haw, cowboys, tobacco chewers, square dancers, countrified, church-going, gospel singers, farmers, simple, and small town.

however, many who come from there are bad to brag and overstate. they want to be a bigger city than atlanta, so they wanted to build a tower that was taller than any officer building in atlanta, they absolutely hate anything memphis and the world attention it gathers, nashville hates charlotte, louisville, cincinnati, and st. louis. my friends from those cities laugh and identify nashville as the nellie olson, of little house on the pairie. nashville's civic presentation, pride, and jealousy is found in this one television character. i think that is pretty accurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 09:14 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,744,549 times
Quote:
nashville, has always been known as the eastern most suburb of memphis

Old 03-08-2011, 10:26 AM

59 posts, read 139,513 times
Atlanta could care less about Birmingham. I rarely, if ever, here anyone mention that city, which is odd since it's less than 2 hours away driving time.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:48 PM

128 posts, read 159,513 times
When I consider Birmingham, I cant help but think of a tree, white sheets, and a noose.

When birmingham appears on my TV station I fear that my TV set will contract downe syndrome with a case of syphillis. #imjustsayin.......

Old 03-10-2011, 11:58 PM

128 posts, read 159,513 times
Besides, who cares? Im in love with Atl, but Atl, Bham, Charlotte, Memphis, AND Nashville are all country as h3ll and full of bammers. Charlotte and Atl wish they could be like Washington DC and Dallas.

And for the record, Houston is killing all the aforementioned cities. Weve got NASA and the largest consortium of hospitals and medical research facilities in America- The Texas Medical Center. We also have all the major oil companies that suck your pathetic wallets dry day after day. When gas kills YALLS bank accounts, we love it. As gas goes higher so do paychecks in Houston and furthermore there is NOTHING any American can do about.

Yep. Texas. America's best state. We put Presidents in power, even if their corrupt and brought us to the point of bankruptcy (lol).

Yes. Texas. And just US for oil. lol

Old 03-11-2011, 06:28 AM

864 posts, read 851,234 times
How did Texas get into this? Atlanta wants to be Dallas and DC?

Old 03-11-2011, 06:44 AM

20,901 posts, read 32,901,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muxBuppie View Post
How did Texas get into this? Atlanta wants to be Dallas and DC?
Really. Please. Let's cut down the trees and level the hills in Atlanta so that it will look more like Dallas.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:49 AM

864 posts, read 851,234 times
^^Lol, yeah. I mean we may want the density and transit of DC but not the cost of living and maybe the population of Dallas and nothing more but we don't want to BE like them.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:22 AM

1,978 posts, read 3,108,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellomrwest View Post
Besides, who cares? Im in love with Atl, but Atl, Bham, Charlotte, Memphis, AND Nashville are all country as h3ll and full of bammers. Charlotte and Atl wish they could be like Washington DC and Dallas.
Your snobbish attitude is mind-blowing. Most Southerners I know, and most Texans who don't live in Dallas, for that matter, would hate to see Bham or Atlanta become anything like Dallas. And Washington DC?!?! Have you ever been there? That place is the biggest garbage dump in the country.

I grew up in Birmingham, and EVERYONE I know agrees: we are VERY glad we didn't get that stupid airport. And you know why everyone says that? "Because then we would be what Atlanta is now, and nobody wants that." I like Atlanta for what it is, but you must understand that folks in Birmingham have ZERO interest in becoming a huge, sprawled out mess of a city any more than it already has with Hoover getting so huge. Seriously, driving in Atlanta is enough to give anyone an aneurism. Just understand that I am not bashing your city, merely providing a perspective from the other side. There are great things about Atlanta that make it a nice place to visit, but living there, no way. My older sister lives in downtown Atlanta, right by Centennial Park, and everytime I go to visit her, I enjoy the city but am glad to leave when it's time to go. I lived in Birmingham for 22 years, it's where I was raised, and I wouldn't change it for the world. Still, the whole entire region is just WAY too hot, and I'm outta here! Even here in the Blue Ridge Mountains, it's too damn hot for me. I am moving very far north. I just hope that the snobbery of some of you folks toward Birmingham can stop, because it doesn't look good on you.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:14 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,115,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellomrwest View Post

And for the record, Houston is killing all the aforementioned cities. Weve got NASA and the largest consortium of hospitals and medical research facilities in America- The Texas Medical Center. We also have all the major oil companies that suck your pathetic wallets dry day after day. When gas kills YALLS bank accounts, we love it. As gas goes higher so do paychecks in Houston and furthermore there is NOTHING any American can do about.

Yep. Texas. America's best state. We put Presidents in power, even if their corrupt and brought us to the point of bankruptcy (lol).

Yes. Texas. And just US for oil. lol
Sounds like A&M BullDawg is back at it again.

He cannot even disguise the way he writes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or