U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 04:26 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,037,027 times

Advertisements

I find Birmingham to be an underated city. It has some beautiful scenery surrounding downtown to include those foothills in the SE side. The pace is easier and for a lot of folks, the don't like that.

It's funny, when people talk about the "energy" of a city it probably is more dictated by their immediate surroundings. If you have seen one strip mall festooned with you-pick-the-chain restaurant, bar, pub, and retailer, haven't you pretty much seen them all???

If I'm wrong, what's up with all the vacancies??? I know traffic has picked up quite a bit in Birmingham over the last 20 years and their air quality has suffered directly because of it. Still, getting out of town in Birmingham is generally a half hour thing where in Atlanta, that may take well North of an hour to do so......

Quality of life? The suburbs on the SE side of Birmingham seem to be fairly untouched over this time frame so I have to assume there is a sense of neighborhood. Roots if you will.

The pace may be slower and the jobs fewe but, Birmingham seems to keep growing in spite of some local law makers decisions. I think Pelham is still affordable and for something that is in direct contrast in Atlanta, you would probably have to drive that much further to achieve the same housing goal.

If you like more hype and perceived "energy", Atlanta is the ticket. If you want a more mainstream (compared to thousands of communities of near size) Birmingham probably has the nod.

Regardless, both enjoy temperate climates and a fair amount of outdoor activities nearby. Birmingham has the shore to the South, we in Atlanta have the North Georgia Mountains an hour and a half away.

I think as you get older, one might appreciate a town like Birmingham a bit more. You know, when you are sick and tired of all the restaurants you are supposed to see in Atlanta and just don't give a darn about that anymore, then B'ham becomes more appealing.

Besides, I tend to stick to the stores closest to me as there are merely duplicates throghout the rest of the city. Nothing new. Just more of the same. It's the jobs that keep us all here.

And while that may seem a bit odd in this economic climate remember this:

If jobs "suck" in Atlanta right now, they must absolutely be in a "vacuum" in Birmingham....think about it.......ergo, the population? As it relates to taxes, I'm all for doubling mine in Atlanta ONLY if the extra went 100% to road and infrastructure improvements. To have one airport at this junture is laughable. My guess is the city politicians must have some sway for their constituents or there would be no other logical reason not to have put up some sort of regional hub to the North of the city by now.

Dawson and Lumpkin Counties would be delighted as would the realtors necessary to fill up everything in between. And if that necessitated using some high-speed rail to accomplish this goal, so be it. More rail, more highways, more mass transit.

We are a town of 5 million plus now. How much larger can you get without some sort of efficient light and/or high-speed rail? I put this right up there with the silly argument on property taxes...that one always cracks me up.....people complain about property taxes here on a routine basis....true, we face a stiff state income tax on top of it but, like all metros, it's the cost of doing business. If you think ours are high, look around the country for comparison. Couple that with the intangible expenses YOU are absorbing today in fuel costs (extended idling periods in rush hour) as well as routine commuting. You wont' be able to hang on to this low rate much longer. You are going to have to fund some mass transit at some point. I say, it's time has come.

If you started today you wouldn't see the benefits for 10 years but, no time to do a Clinton (Nuclear Power Plants). Start now. Can you imagine us starting in 10 years? The city will probably be pushing 6 million with one airport, some buses, and a few highways the major two of which meet IN DOWNTOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You think traffic sucks now??? Can you imagine the disruption at THAT point? If anyone knows the real reason why we can't have a second airport, please weigh-in. I have to believe 1/6 of all cars heading South on 400 on Monday mornings and heading North on Friday nights is due to that airport......guess the city can't let that revenue slip away.....there's just no logical reason at this point.

The 2 billion we just spent at Hartsfield probably could have opened and funded a complete, albeit small (for now) regional hub.....on the North side....think of what that could have done for innercity traffic.....jobs (one way to put this construction heavy city back to work), quality of life.

Be glad B'ham you don't have this dilema facing you. Last time I flew through your Airport it was a BREEZE.

You see, Birmingham doesn't look so bad now does it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2010, 04:46 PM

7,113 posts, read 8,150,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Well at least the land's cheap and the taxes are super low, eh? But I doubt many of the "limited government" conservatives who reside in metro Atlanta will move to the 'Bama in droves for those two reasons alone.

However, if there was a bullet train that connects Atlanta to Birmingham, that would be different story. But wait-a-minute...building an excellant transit system of that sort would take a higher tax-rate...Nevermind!
Why would we want a bullet train to Birmingham?

To me Birmingham is a failed Atlanta. Both wanted Delta and Birmingham played hard-ball with them while Atlanta was accommodating. Delta wanted to be in Birmingham which is probably why they tried to drive a hard bargain. So Delta chose Atlanta which was a major piece of Atlanta's success story.

Old 11-26-2010, 04:55 PM

747 posts, read 1,269,845 times
So could it be said that Atlanta is more business friendly than B'ham?

Old 11-26-2010, 05:12 PM

4,688 posts, read 6,430,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Why would we want a bullet train to Birmingham?

To me Birmingham is a failed Atlanta. Both wanted Delta and Birmingham played hard-ball with them while Atlanta was accommodating. Delta wanted to be in Birmingham which is probably why they tried to drive a hard bargain. So Delta chose Atlanta which was a major piece of Atlanta's success story.
Birmingham would of been Atlanta if they weren't so racist with the airport deal years back

Old 11-26-2010, 05:20 PM

12,206 posts, read 17,658,727 times
It probably wasn't even meant for the Ham to get the airport. That was a stupid decision though. I think that Birmingham's future is bright. You can't be at the bottom of the list all the time.

Old 11-26-2010, 05:33 PM

28,243 posts, read 24,848,666 times
Birmingham has got some great medical facilities going on with UAB, Carraway, etc.

Old 11-26-2010, 06:18 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,130,930 times
That's some history I am very curious to know about. How did the 'Ham's City leadership screw the pooch on the Airport deal, T?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
Birmingham would of been Atlanta if they weren't so racist with the airport deal years back

Old 11-26-2010, 06:52 PM

7,732 posts, read 11,815,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
Bougie ATLiens. They think their city is the best in the world. Hell no it ain't! Gaylanta!
If Birmingham had the gay population Atlanta has, it wouldn't have so many bombed out, formerly nice nieghborhoods within in the City Limits.

Think about it.

Old 11-26-2010, 06:56 PM

7,732 posts, read 11,815,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
That's some history I am very curious to know about. How did the 'Ham's City leadership screw the pooch on the Airport deal, T?
That's really not how it happened.

The FAA favored Birmingham for the South's main airport due to its more centralized location. This was right around the time they were awarding/setting up airmail routes. Birmingham just wasn't interested, while the powers-that-be here went after it HARD. They also promised to throw City funds at Candler Field to upgrade it.

The airmail routes were awarded to Atanta, Delta decided to move here from Louisiana - with Eastern coming in shortly thereafter.

The rest is history.

Last edited by johnatl; 11-26-2010 at 07:06 PM..

Old 11-26-2010, 07:30 PM

28,243 posts, read 24,848,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
If Birmingham had the gay population Atlanta has, it wouldn't have so many bombed out, formerly nice nieghborhoods within in the City Limits.

Think about it.
That's a very good point!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or