U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 11:49 PM

106 posts, read 190,802 times

Advertisements

Here's how I view Birmingham, it's kinda like that one Uncle that shows up to your family reunions, who you always make sure to be polite to, but he always wears some stinky black shirt with a Eagle on it, he goes straight to the cheap beer and commences to drink too much to the point where he stares creepily at your teenage girl cousins, and everybody knows it, they just don't say anything... Everyone figures well, we only have to see him once a year, no need to make waves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 12:08 AM

43 posts, read 53,738 times
Atlanta would have more historic areas if it hadn't been burned.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:18 AM

43 posts, read 53,738 times
Birmingham

Atlanta

Comparing Birmingham and Atlanta Skylines is like comparing Atlanta's to NYC.

Old 11-29-2010, 07:57 AM

20,893 posts, read 32,901,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koko339 View Post
My family is originally from B'ham. They always joke about how it feels like time has gone back 5 year when they visit and I can't say I disagree lol. One thing I do like about the city is its downtown grid and the gorgeous historic blocks. Although it doesn't have Atlanta's energy, their downtown has a more dense urban feel. B'ham's physical features + Atlanta's cosmopolitan attitude would be awesome!
How do you guys view B'ham?
I think that the time when Atlanta and Birmingham felt a sense of keen competition and resentment for each other has long past. These days, I think they look at B'ham on it's terms, not theirs.
I personally see B'ham as a severely underrated city with lovely neighborhoods and more amenities than most might imagine. The people I know that live there really love it (most of these are transplanted Atlantans).
For me, a great weekend getaway is to check into the Tutwiler in downtown B'ham, dine at the restaurants in Five Points (The Highlands Grill and Bottega Cafe are both superb), and shop in the stores in the commercial district of Mountain Brook (one of the US's best neighborhoods IMHO).

The Tutwiler Hotel | Birmingham, AL Hotel | Historic Hotel

Highlands Bar&Grill | About Us

Bottega | Restaurant and Cafe

mountain brook village - birmingham shopping - gusto

Old 11-29-2010, 08:38 AM

4,688 posts, read 6,404,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
KevK and brownhornet are the people who make me itch. They act like Atlanta is the S**T and don't give Birmingham any credit. Come on now, Atlanta was once a hell hole and probably still is. A lot of times, it takes a city or anything to go through crazy transitions in order to have brighter future. Y'all shouldn't put Birmingham down; I mean, I know they are you all's opinions, but for real, give Birmingham a little more credit than that. There is a lot of things to do in Birmingham. There is a good nightlife in Birmingham. Sometimes, when you hate a city just to hate it, you miss out on the things that it has to offer because you are stuck hating a city for an irrelevant reason. I know I may say things about Atlanta, but I know in my heart that it a great city, but is overrated. In modern times, urban areas are probably the most blight and unfortunate areas in the world: crime, poverty, bad education, etc. I hate when people in Atlanta look at Birmingham like it's backwards. It is smaller than Atlanta, so of course, it's going to feel that way. Birmingham has a nice skyline, great restuarants, great shopping, great colleges, etc. for a city and a metro of its size. Let's not play the bullying game. We all know Atlanta is bigger and have more things to do, but with it being bigger, it has way more problems than Birmingham do. You guys talk about Birmingham, but at least the people in Birmingham don't have to sit in traffic for hours during the day, at least they still have their Southern charm, at least they are not putting too much hype into the success of one particular race, at least they are not experiencing growing pains that are haunting them presently. I can go on and on. People can talk about Birmingham, but at least it has everything that is essential for someone's life. It offers an urban atmosphere that is quite underrated. Before any person from Atlanta calls Birmingham a hell hole and talk bad about it, they should look at Atlanta's problems and should be quiet, since Birmingham has way less problems than Atlanta has. So quit it. It's so childish to call Birmingham names and to speak poorly about it, when Atlanta ain't all of that and has its own problems although it's a great city. Every city has problems; no city is better than the other one. I think this thread is useless.
Atlanta>>>>Texas + Birmingham

Tell everybody why are you so mad? You really love Atlanta because you be in our threads DAILY

Go and get a Ga Peach tattoo on your back!

Old 11-29-2010, 08:57 AM

747 posts, read 1,264,916 times
Quote:
KevK and brownhornet are the people who make me itch. They act like Atlanta is the S**T and don't give Birmingham any credit. Come on now, Atlanta was once a hell hole and probably still is. A lot of times, it takes a city or anything to go through crazy transitions in order to have brighter future. Y'all shouldn't put Birmingham down; I mean, I know they are you all's opinions, but for real, give Birmingham a little more credit than that. There is a lot of things to do in Birmingham. There is a good nightlife in Birmingham. Sometimes, when you hate a city just to hate it, you miss out on the things that it has to offer because you are stuck hating a city for an irrelevant reason. I know I may say things about Atlanta, but I know in my heart that it a great city, but is overrated. In modern times, urban areas are probably the most blight and unfortunate areas in the world: crime, poverty, bad education, etc. I hate when people in Atlanta look at Birmingham like it's backwards. It is smaller than Atlanta, so of course, it's going to feel that way. Birmingham has a nice skyline, great restuarants, great shopping, great colleges, etc. for a city and a metro of its size. Let's not play the bullying game. We all know Atlanta is bigger and have more things to do, but with it being bigger, it has way more problems than Birmingham do. You guys talk about Birmingham, but at least the people in Birmingham don't have to sit in traffic for hours during the day, at least they still have their Southern charm, at least they are not putting too much hype into the success of one particular race, at least they are not experiencing growing pains that are haunting them presently. I can go on and on. People can talk about Birmingham, but at least it has everything that is essential for someone's life. It offers an urban atmosphere that is quite underrated. Before any person from Atlanta calls Birmingham a hell hole and talk bad about it, they should look at Atlanta's problems and should be quiet, since Birmingham has way less problems than Atlanta has. So quit it. It's so childish to call Birmingham names and to speak poorly about it, when Atlanta ain't all of that and has its own problems although it's a great city. Every city has problems; no city is better than the other one. I think this thread is useless.
Well you sure have put a lot of time and thought into a supposedly worthless thread

Old 11-29-2010, 09:01 AM

28,114 posts, read 24,646,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsmith1977 View Post
Atlanta would have more historic areas if it hadn't been burned.
It's not clear how much difference that would have made. At the the time of the Civil War Atlanta had only been around about 20 years so it's not as if massive historic areas were destroyed. Other cities of roughly the same vintage such as Chicago and San Francisco suffered massive fires and kept on ticking.

A lot of our lack of historic areas has to do with the early decentralization of the city and tax and zoning laws which made it easier to tear stuff down than to preserve or re-purpose it. I also think we developed a mindset that "new is better." There are exceptions to that, of course, but in general we haven't placed a high premium on the maintenance of historic assets until fairly recently.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:15 AM

7,732 posts, read 11,767,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
It's not clear how much difference that would have made. At the the time of the Civil War Atlanta had only been around about 20 years so it's not as if massive historic areas were destroyed. Other cities of roughly the same vintage such as Chicago and San Francisco suffered massive fires and kept on ticking.

A lot of our lack of historic areas has to do with the early decentralization of the city and tax and zoning laws which made it easier to tear stuff down than to preserve or re-purpose it. I also think we developed a mindset that "new is better." There are exceptions to that, of course, but in general we haven't placed a high premium on the maintenance of historic assets until fairly recently.
Exactly.

The "Great Atlanta Fire" of 1917 was much, much more devastating than what took place during Gen. Sherman's 'visit' in 1864.

Great Atlanta fire of 1917 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Video: The Atlanta Fire

Old 11-29-2010, 09:43 AM

747 posts, read 1,264,916 times
Yep the common misconception is that Atlanta was completely destroyed during Sherman's visit. Actually, quite a few buildings survived, including the impressive Neal Mansion that was torn down for Atlanta's current city hall:

Atlanta has long been glibly characterized as a city without historic architecture--"Sherman burned it all, you know." Besides ignoring the "brave and beautiful city" that Henry Grady and his New South compatriots championed after the Civil War, that comment also forgets that some of the city's most distinguished antebellum architecture was destroyed long after the war, including the original county courthouse and the city's downtown churches, all of which had been torn down and rebuilt by the 1890s. Numerous examples of antebellum residential architecture also survived into the 20th century around the fringes of downtown, although none survived past mid-century. The Leyden House, one of the few high style Greek Revival houses built in the city, was demolished by real estate speculators in 1913. The Italianate Neal Mansion, which Sherman used as his headquarters during the Federal occupation in 1864, was demolished in 1927 for construction of a new city hall. And the city's first two-story house, which dated to the earliest days of the city in the 1840s, was torn down in the late 1930s for a warehouse
Growth and Preservation--Atlanta: A National Register of Historic Places Travel Itinerary

And I digress

Old 11-29-2010, 10:27 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,344,759 times
Quote:

Quit whining and go back to the Texas Boards where you can aggravate them..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or