U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-29-2010, 10:31 AM
 
1,666 posts, read 2,345,042 times
Reputation: 486

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
atlanta>>>>texas + birmingham

tell everybody why are you so mad? You really love atlanta because you be in our threads daily:d

go and get a ga peach tattoo on your back!
lmao
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-29-2010, 01:18 PM
 
Location: metro ATL
8,190 posts, read 11,850,743 times
Reputation: 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Birmingham needs something big. Something that can put this city on the map internationally. Something like the Olympics or maybe the FIFA World cup.
How about we start small and basic, like with good local leadership? That will go much further than the Olympics or the World Cup ever could (see: Charlotte, Nashville, Raleigh, Austin, etc.).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2010, 01:24 PM
 
Location: metro ATL
8,190 posts, read 11,850,743 times
Reputation: 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
Come on now, Atlanta was once a hell hole and probably still is...

I know I may say things about Atlanta, but I know in my heart that it a great city, but is overrated.
You are a walking contradiction if there ever was one.

Quote:
Sometimes, when you hate a city just to hate it, you miss out on the things that it has to offer because you are stuck hating a city for an irrelevant reason.
Print that statement out, put it up next to your face, then look in the mirror.

Quote:
Every city has problems; no city is better than the other one.
You're wrong; some cities are indeed better than others and often it's leadership that has made the difference. Unfortunately, Birmingham has not been blessed in that area. It's gone from utterly hateful leadership during the Civil Rights era to downright pi$$ poor leadership more recently. I really do wish it the best, but I'm not holding my breath.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2010, 01:37 PM
 
Location: ITP - City of Atlanta Proper
7,797 posts, read 11,731,309 times
Reputation: 5394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
How about we start small and basic, like with good local leadership? That will go much further than the Olympics or the World Cup ever could (see: Charlotte, Nashville, Raleigh, Austin, etc.).
For real. I'm not sure why it is, but some people seem to think that Atlanta landed the Olympics "just because". There was a helluva lot of hard work to get Atlanta in the position to even be considered and that was all due to our local leaders. City building takes decades....not just a few events to change people's perception of a place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2010, 02:20 PM
 
Location: 30080
2,124 posts, read 3,392,972 times
Reputation: 1461
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
KevK and brownhornet are the people who make me itch. They act like Atlanta is the S**T and don't give Birmingham any credit. Come on now, Atlanta was once a hell hole and probably still is. A lot of times, it takes a city or anything to go through crazy transitions in order to have brighter future. Y'all shouldn't put Birmingham down; I mean, I know they are you all's opinions, but for real, give Birmingham a little more credit than that. There is a lot of things to do in Birmingham. There is a good nightlife in Birmingham. Sometimes, when you hate a city just to hate it, you miss out on the things that it has to offer because you are stuck hating a city for an irrelevant reason. I know I may say things about Atlanta, but I know in my heart that it a great city, but is overrated. In modern times, urban areas are probably the most blight and unfortunate areas in the world: crime, poverty, bad education, etc. I hate when people in Atlanta look at Birmingham like it's backwards. It is smaller than Atlanta, so of course, it's going to feel that way. Birmingham has a nice skyline, great restuarants, great shopping, great colleges, etc. for a city and a metro of its size. Let's not play the bullying game. We all know Atlanta is bigger and have more things to do, but with it being bigger, it has way more problems than Birmingham do. You guys talk about Birmingham, but at least the people in Birmingham don't have to sit in traffic for hours during the day, at least they still have their Southern charm, at least they are not putting too much hype into the success of one particular race, at least they are not experiencing growing pains that are haunting them presently. I can go on and on. People can talk about Birmingham, but at least it has everything that is essential for someone's life. It offers an urban atmosphere that is quite underrated. Before any person from Atlanta calls Birmingham a hell hole and talk bad about it, they should look at Atlanta's problems and should be quiet, since Birmingham has way less problems than Atlanta has. So quit it. It's so childish to call Birmingham names and to speak poorly about it, when Atlanta ain't all of that and has its own problems although it's a great city. Every city has problems; no city is better than the other one. I think this thread is useless.
Im sorry dude but NO ONE in their right mind is going to pick Birmingham to live over Atlanta. Night life??? WHAT night life? The ONLY nightlife there is if youre a college student. Youre telling me all this as if I didnt live there for a year. And once again, for the city to be so small the crime down there is utterly ridiculous. I tell it like it is and ive lived quite a few places... Birmingham was at the bottom of that list. Actually i'd rather live in Huntsville than Birmingham.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2010, 02:32 PM
 
Location: 30080
2,124 posts, read 3,392,972 times
Reputation: 1461
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_Aficionado View Post
So would you argue that Birmingham is more ghetto in nature than Atlanta?

Answer A
Yes: (Please specify exactly what area of Birmingham is more ghetto and blighted than what can be found here around Turner Field, Marietta St. etc. just to name a couple)

Answer B
No: (Please explain what is meant by your original statement)

You also failed to answer my question sir. Are you not familar with McCalla which is basically Bessemer? There are new construction subdivisions with homes $500,000 - $1,000,000+ there son. I do agree that much of Bham's core has been neglected but that is changing and again you are only looking at a fraction of the entire picture.





So you are telling me that you feel safer here in Atlanta than in Birmingham?!
Do me a favor, check out Birmingham news for a straight week then compare that to what you see EVERY DAY here on Fox 5. Atlanta news is juicier than CSI Miami!!!

Most Dangerous Cities 2010 - WalletPop

Assuming this is what you are referring to, Birmingham crime is much more confined to certain areas, and less horrific in general than here.
Are you freakin' kidding me.
You know whats funny.. is that I actually LIVED in that craphole known as Bessemer before I got tired of our apartment being broken into. Yea, THAT Bessemer. Three or four neighborhoods doesnt make that whole part of town anywhere NEAR desirable. Thats just like the fact that theyve built those nice and expensive apartments on Metropolitan here... who cares, its STILL Metropolitan!

Is Bham more crime filled and dangerous than Atlanta? Considering the population difference, HELL YES! I dont have to base my opinion on a system of rankings when I actually LIVED there. Which areas are the crime confined to? Because I saw it everywhere from the east side to the west side. The really funny part was that Bham actually had bloods and crips.

As far as what can be more ghetto than whats around ATL... umm hello... ENSLEY, Fairfield around Miles College where the campus has had to be put on lockdown SEVERAL times. West End... do I even need to mention the area around Legion Field? Bessemer, parts of Homewood, even Tarrant. The truth is just the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2010, 02:41 PM
 
1,641 posts, read 2,199,503 times
Reputation: 694
people who says bad things about Birmingham in Atlanta is probably from upstate and not really from Georgia or Atlanta or never actually been to Birmingham for more than few days.

It's sort of like people from the South always thinks people in NYC is rude, but they're just direct, not rude. That and they don't thank you if you don't deserve it, but in ATL and B-ham, that's sorta like saying "hello" or "good bye".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2010, 02:45 PM
 
Location: metro ATL
8,190 posts, read 11,850,743 times
Reputation: 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
Im sorry dude but NO ONE in their right mind is going to pick Birmingham to live over Atlanta.
Come on man, let's not go to the other extreme. Different people like different things in a city and there are perfectly good reasons as to why someone might pick Birmingham to live in over Atlanta (e.g., a job opportunity, less traffic, etc.).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2010, 03:33 PM
 
12,204 posts, read 17,573,373 times
Reputation: 3350
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
Im sorry dude but NO ONE in their right mind is going to pick Birmingham to live over Atlanta. Night life??? WHAT night life? The ONLY nightlife there is if youre a college student. Youre telling me all this as if I didnt live there for a year. And once again, for the city to be so small the crime down there is utterly ridiculous. I tell it like it is and ive lived quite a few places... Birmingham was at the bottom of that list. Actually i'd rather live in Huntsville than Birmingham.
Some people may say the same thing: You picking Atlanta over Birmingham to live in? People have different taste. Just because Atlanta is bigger doesn't mean it is better for one particular person. You hyping things up as if Atlanta is this breath of fresh compared to Birmingham's depression. Bougie Atlanta folks, I tell you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2010, 04:01 PM
 
1,653 posts, read 2,612,267 times
Reputation: 1307
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
You know whats funny.. is that I actually LIVED in that craphole known as Bessemer before I got tired of our apartment being broken into. Yea, THAT Bessemer. Three or four neighborhoods doesnt make that whole part of town anywhere NEAR desirable. Thats just like the fact that theyve built those nice and expensive apartments on Metropolitan here... who cares, its STILL Metropolitan!


Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_Aficionado View Post
You must've lived in the ghetto when you were there.
....................................

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
Is Bham more crime filled and dangerous than Atlanta? Considering the population difference, HELL YES! I dont have to base my opinion on a system of rankings when I actually LIVED there. Which areas are the crime confined to? Because I saw it everywhere from the east side to the west side. The really funny part was that Bham actually had bloods and crips.
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z260/jonathan_race/laugh.jpg (broken link)

Look dude I live here too, why are you putting Atlanta out there like this. Do me a favor buddy, call me when you see the same random home invasions, car thefts, and car jackings that occur here all the damn time in Birmingham. Atlanta is a major city with major city-type crime to match; the types of crimes that occur here are in a totally different stratosphere than over there. Remember a few months ago when those gay students were forced into the trunk of their own car at that gas station but managed to use their cell phone to advise the Policia of their whereabouts?! Now ask a Birminghamian when was the last time anything like that happened. You are about as crazy as you wanna-be!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
As far as what can be more ghetto than whats around ATL... umm hello... ENSLEY, Fairfield around Miles College where the campus has had to be put on lockdown SEVERAL times. West End... do I even need to mention the area around Legion Field? Bessemer, parts of Homewood, even Tarrant. The truth is just the truth.
I didn't ask if it "can be" I asked if it was, and the answer is HELL NO! There isn't a single area of Birmingham that outshines the ghetto's that can be found right here buddy.
You act as if Birmingham is New Orleans or something. As far as I'm concerned, they break even as I haven't seen anything worse over there than here or vice versa. Just because your stint in Birmingham was confined to the ghetto doesn't mean the entire city should be blamed for your hood-life woes. Get over it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plokivos View Post
people who says bad things about Birmingham in Atlanta is probably from upstate and not really from Georgia or Atlanta or never actually been to Birmingham for more than few days.
I agree with this statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top