Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 09:27 PM

957 posts, read 3,356,970 times

Advertisements

I am writing this from my hotel in Johns Creek and I am absolutely blown away by how fast the Korean population and businesses are booming in this area.

Here are some of the major Korean locations I have discovered in Suwanee and Duluth. I've been to NJ, NYC and lived in Chicago most of my life and I have never seen anything like this. Entire strip malls in each of these locations are Korean businesses and they are huge. This place is like the new Korean Mecca.

Location #1 near Peachtree Ridge High School
1291 old peachtree road
suwanee, GA 30024

Location #2
2700 Lawerenceville Suwanee Rd. NE
Suwanee, GA 30024

Location #3
2550 Pleasant Hill Rd. Bldg. 300
Duluth, GA 30096

Location #4
MegaMart in Gwinnet Place Mall - One of the anchors in this mall.

Location #5
1630 Pleasant Hill Rd Duluth, GA30096

I am sure there are many more locations that I haven't discovered yet. I ate really well in the past of couple days jumping around from location 1 - 5.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 09:30 PM

187 posts, read 403,968 times
Korean News Outlets Highlight Vibrant Community

I wouldn't be surprised if Atlanta has the fastest-growing Korean population in the U.S. It's truly a great thing!

Old 03-06-2011, 09:38 PM

2,534 posts, read 2,255,582 times
Take a drive down Buford Hwy. Start at Lawrenceville-Suwanne Rd and drive until you hit Atlanta. You will see plenty of Korean strips on your left and right. Especially around Buford Hwy and I-285 heading into Atlanta.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:45 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,997,570 times
It is absolutely amazing what is happening. There are times all up and down the NE portions of ITP and suburbs where I find myself in locations when knowing Korean would be a really good idea if not completely necessary.

And to your allusion to how different it is here in terms of vibe of the Korean community than in the Northeast and Chicago, I totally agree. I can't think of any other city outside of LA that can even come close to comparing and I can easily see us besting them in the not to distant future.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:12 AM

969 posts, read 1,959,210 times
Have any of you heard of this or know the status on it? It's called "Asian Village" - it was to be built in Gwinnett somewhere and was suppose to be a "cultural theme park".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTMzK..._safety_mode=1

Old 03-07-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
Have any of you heard of this or know the status on it? It's called "Asian Village" - it was to be built in Gwinnett somewhere and was suppose to be a "cultural theme park".

From what I understand the original plans are dead, but I hear talk all the time of restarting it all the time. However instead out in Gwinnett, closer intown around Doraville or Chamblee which would be a much better fit IMHO.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:46 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,883,354 times
Yeah, they've been talking about it for years and unless they get some foreign investment money I doubt it's going to happen anytime soon. The one thing Atlanta lacks when compared to some other older/large cities are specific neighborhoods like a Koreatown or Chinatown. A development like this could in theory bring something like that together, but again, unless $$$ comes into it, it'll be a long way away.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Yeah, they've been talking about it for years and unless they get some foreign investment money I doubt it's going to happen anytime soon. The one thing Atlanta lacks when compared to some other older/large cities are specific neighborhoods like a Koreatown or Chinatown. A development like this could in theory bring something like that together, but again, unless $$$ comes into it, it'll be a long way away.
Personally, representing my Asian half, this not something I feel we "lack". To me, places like Chinatowns are a nice to have, but let's not forget that the only reason they exist in other cities is because they are a hold over from the segregation era.

New York or San Francisco didn't encourage/enforce them back in the day just because they thought it would be cool to have or show how off how worldly they were as cities. They were specifically created to separate out {insert ethnicity here} from the general population. The only reason why they are look upon as great cultural areas is because the people who were forced to lived there tried to make the best out of a crappy situation.

Aside from that though, they are hold overs from an ignorant past that I am glad we don't have to look at here in Atlanta. It's already have too much to remind of those terrible times around here.

And for the record, I see "Chinatowns" a separate entity completely from the proposed Asian Village or the Buford Highway corridor.

Last edited by waronxmas; 03-07-2011 at 11:10 AM..

Old 03-07-2011, 10:55 AM

131 posts, read 520,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpanda View Post
I am writing this from my hotel in Johns Creek and I am absolutely blown away by how fast the Korean population and businesses are booming in this area.

Here are some of the major Korean locations I have discovered in Suwanee and Duluth. I've been to NJ, NYC and lived in Chicago most of my life and I have never seen anything like this. Entire strip malls in each of these locations are Korean businesses and they are huge. This place is like the new Korean Mecca.

Location #1 near Peachtree Ridge High School
1291 old peachtree road
suwanee, GA 30024

Location #2
2700 Lawerenceville Suwanee Rd. NE
Suwanee, GA 30024

Location #3
2550 Pleasant Hill Rd. Bldg. 300
Duluth, GA 30096

Location #4
MegaMart in Gwinnet Place Mall - One of the anchors in this mall.

Location #5
1630 Pleasant Hill Rd Duluth, GA30096

I am sure there are many more locations that I haven't discovered yet. I ate really well in the past of couple days jumping around from location 1 - 5.
The Korean community has been growing ever since H-Mart @ Duluth opened in 2003

Old 03-07-2011, 10:56 AM

187 posts, read 403,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post

From what I heard, that development was supposed to have been built n Governor's Lake Parkway in Norcross.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta