Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2011, 12:48 PM

16,679 posts, read 29,499,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
And just for full disclosure....when I talk about Birmingham, I am talking about over the mountain (Hoover/Vestavia). Most of the places people here mentioned like Ensley, Bessemer, etc. are complete crap. Everybody who lives in Birmingham knows it and that's why they never go there. Birmingham has done an excellent job with socio-economic segregation, which is probably rooted in actual segregation. But the one neat thing about it is, you don't have to worry about the rough parts of Vestavia or Mountain Brook because they simply do not exist. Birmingham truly does have a right and wrong side of the tracks. It may seem myopic to some, but the good thing is once you are on the right side, you don't have anything to worry about, and you'd have precious little reason to ever venture to the wrong side. There is simply nothing there that doesn't exist on the right side.
This is so awesome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 12:55 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,129,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Of course, this is not to say Birmingham isn't more backward. You want good Indian food? Tough luck. Korean supermarkets? Unlikely. Want to seek Wicked? It ain't stopping in Birmingham.
Surprise!!!

Wicked Birmingham AL Tickets

Feb 15, 2012 through March 4, 2012 and yes it is the official Tour. So you've a reason to pay them another visit.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:10 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
Quote:
Well at least the land's cheap and the taxes are super low, eh?
The sales tax is 10% and there is an county-wide income tax.
Lived in Birmingham for 1 year before moving to Atlanta. It was okay, but there is zero public transit in Birmingham. Traffic along the 280 corridor is horrible. The only thing I miss are the mountains and BBQ. Other than that the area is crappy, with bad roads and little night-life.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:19 PM

747 posts, read 1,543,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
There were plenty of office towers and hotels in the area where I stayed, so it doesn't make sense that there were so few people around.

I agree the area has a lot of potential. Lots of beautiful old buildings and great bridges.
That is one thing I'll say Birmingham has over us: their downtown historic building stock. But they don't take advantage of it.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:24 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,288,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Other than that the area is crappy, with bad roads and little night-life.
That's probably true. Ironically, the reason I was there was to see a concert that wasn't coming to Atlanta.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:27 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,407,602 times
I went to Birmingham once last year. I remember this one street I was driving on I passed a house that had a sign that said "we will pay you to live here".

Old 11-18-2011, 01:28 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,407,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
That's probably true. Ironically, the reason I was there was to see a concert that wasn't coming to Atlanta.
haha, that's the same reason I went.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:49 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,049,033 times
Quote:
Surprise!!!
Wow! I was going to check that very thing before I said a word and made an a$$ out of myself, but I thought, "don't worry, there's no way Wicked is going to Birmingham!"

Boy, is my face red. Perhaps the city has gotten more viable than I thought over the years.

Incidentally, one of the reasons I lived in the suburbs of Atlanta before moving intown was because of Birmingham. Pretty much nobody lives downtown, and I just figured that's the way southern cities were. I never even considered that people lived in midtown in Atlanta. I just knew Buckhead, and equated it to Southside, where the bars and night life are...well, what passes at night life, anyway.

So you can't really judge Birmingham by downtown, there's no action there at all. It would be akin to judging Atlanta by staying at an airport hotel.

I'm not even sure what goes on downtown Birmingham. I assume some people commute down there and just leave straight after work. I say I assume because I never even knew anybody who worked down there, a lot of the good jobs are in the aforementioned over the mountain burbs.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:48 PM

23 posts, read 34,811 times
Default Skyline Comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsmith1977 View Post
Birmingham

Atlanta

Comparing Birmingham and Atlanta Skylines is like comparing Atlanta's to NYC.
If Atlanta was so greater than Birmingham, why would you show a close up picture of Bham less than a half a mile away and show the ATL a number of miles away? At least don't distort your photos.

Old 11-29-2011, 04:02 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,215,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray7000 View Post
If Atlanta was so greater than Birmingham, why would you show a close up picture of Bham less than a half a mile away and show the ATL a number of miles away? At least don't distort your photos.
I think that it probably has to do with the fact that Atlanta's skyline is one that is elongated, whereby one can't get the entire skyline within a close-up shot. Atlanta is one of a handful of cities where this is the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta