U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think Atlanta Metro will surpass Philadelphia Metro by 2015?
Yes 50 63.29%
No 27 34.18%
Other (Please specify) 2 2.53%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 07:08 PM

4,228 posts, read 4,126,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I guess I'm blatantly ignorant for relying on official information instead of estimates which can be way off at times. ( If you don't believe me just look at the 2010 census on city populations. A lot of cities estimates were way off compared to Official census numbers!) Official numbers are official numbers get over it.
But by official Dallas is ahead Philly even with the over estimate, while Houston and Philly come out neck to neck. As far as Atlanta even with the over estimates by growth the same resulted are projected to happen just maybe a little longer until it happen. Atlanta was projected to grow over 1.1 mil last decade lets water it down to say 900,000 just to be low, it doesn’t matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 08:20 PM

6,458 posts, read 7,273,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I guess I'm blatantly ignorant for relying on official information instead of estimates which can be way off at times. ( If you don't believe me just look at the 2010 census on city populations. A lot of cities estimates were way off compared to Official census numbers!) Official numbers are official numbers get over it.
They weren't way off. There was a slight overestimate in many cases.

But if you solely base Atlanta's population today only on the 2000 Census, then you are in fact being ignorant as you suggested. You would be refusing to acknowledge over a million people, even if the estimates (based on census survey data) were to be a little high.

There is empirical survey material, measurement of growth in residents, growth in taxpayers, k-12 student population that directly show this trend.

The estimates are official and are based off empirical survey data.

So if you want to pretend like Atlanta isn't growing really fast and pretend like there are million fewer here and ignored growth trends, because you are afraid we might surpass Philadelphia in population go right ahead....but this is starting to get disingenuous and non-empirical.

I'm not saying the --official-- empirical based estimate will be dead on, but if you are seriously going to suggest they are off by over 1.2 million people and pretend like that growth hasn't occurred that those of us that lived here for a long time have seen happen... then you are just sticking your head in the sand my friend.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:29 PM

12,928 posts, read 21,019,991 times
The list that really matters in this thread/discussion (not just about "MSA"):

Table of United States primary census statistical areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-16-2011, 09:43 PM

8,386 posts, read 9,970,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
They weren't way off. There was a slight overestimate in many cases.

But if you solely base Atlanta's population today only on the 2000 Census, then you are in fact being ignorant as you suggested. You would be refusing to acknowledge over a million people, even if the estimates (based on census survey data) were to be a little high.

There is empirical survey material, measurement of growth in residents, growth in taxpayers, k-12 student population that directly show this trend.

The estimates are official and are based off empirical survey data.

So if you want to pretend like Atlanta isn't growing really fast and pretend like there are million fewer here and ignored growth trends, because you are afraid we might surpass Philadelphia in population go right ahead....but this is starting to get disingenuous and non-empirical.

I'm not saying the --official-- empirical based estimate will be dead on, but if you are seriously going to suggest they are off by over 1.2 million people and pretend like that growth hasn't occurred that those of us that lived here for a long time have seen happen... then you are just sticking your head in the sand my friend.
I never said Atlanta wasn't growing at a fast rate. Anyway my main point was talking about Atlanta jumping over several cities MSA rankings to get to Philly but some how I dragged myself into some kind of debate about official census numbers vs. estimates which I think got me off topic. Anyway I think I've made my point.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:30 AM

9,576 posts, read 8,648,021 times
Man, we've got lots of infrastructure challenges we need to conquer before growing substantially. Water. Transit. Taxes. etc.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:26 PM

4,037 posts, read 7,864,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
If we have population growth above 50k, I am going to be really worried about the effect it will have on our unemployment rate. We need to get our unemployment rate below 10% before we start adding new residents again.
Yeah I'm pro-Atlanta but yeah the unemployment rate has got to come down before more people can see Atlanta as an appropriate city to move to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
HOW ABOUT THIS LITTLE FACT: Philadelphia was founded in 1682. Atlanta wasn't founded until 1837 -- NEARLY 150 YEARS LATER! Philly was once the largest city in America -- and one of the biggest in the world! Not anymore. In just a little over 160 years, Atlanta has grown from nothing to become one of the nation's largest urban centers and a global business center to boot. Philly on the other hand is the city that America forgot -- overshadowed by NYC to the north and DC to the South. That must really suck.
Interesting fact. Neat. I like Philly. They're doing their own thing and I think being overshadowed has made it a better and more individualistic city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Ugh, why do the density fetishists think that saying how many people live in "x" amount of space is the winner of all conversations and situations on C-D?

I guess it might have to do with the fact that in some cases that's all a city can brag about. Not Philly of course. I like Philly.
Density at the end of the day is a good thing. Its good to be able to walk to things. I wouldn't call myself a "fetishists" but I'd say that more density is a good thing. The Atlanta city proper covers about the same area as Philly's city proper but Philly has like 1 million more people in its city limits alone. Not saying that Atlanta and other sunbelt cities like it have to be as crowded as Philly but there's a little bit of land misuse going on but that's nationwide not just ATL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Man, we've got lots of infrastructure challenges we need to conquer before growing substantially. Water. Transit. Taxes. etc.
Again not just an Atlanta thing but an issue that should be addressed across the sunbelt particularly in the desert when it comes to water. Isn't Lake Lanier running a little low because of water usage?

Compared to Northern Virginia I'd say Atlanta has us beat when it comes to roads. The roads here are just not designed for the number of drivers on these overcrowded roads. At least Atlanta has wide freeways.

Old 03-17-2011, 04:40 PM

12,996 posts, read 17,152,354 times

Assuming the Philadelphia MSA doesn't add a single person between now and 2020, the Atlanta MSA will need to add 675,266 people just to pass them. If the Atlanta MSA passes the Philadelphia MSA, it will happen no sooner than the 2030 Census.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:47 PM

21,959 posts, read 30,860,874 times
Looks like not by 2015 - the next 5-10 years will tell the story, I think maybe another 15 or so is a real possibilty

Last edited by kidphilly; 03-17-2011 at 08:18 PM..

Old 03-17-2011, 07:56 PM

6,458 posts, read 7,273,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Looks like not by 2015 - then next 5-10 years will tell the story, I think maybe another 15 or so is a real possibilty
I bet your right... I think what will ultimately decide is how quickly the country puts the full effects of the great recession behind us.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:15 PM

357 posts, read 631,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Yeah I'm pro-Atlanta but yeah the unemployment rate has got to come down before more people can see Atlanta as an appropriate city to move to.

Interesting fact. Neat. I like Philly. They're doing their own thing and I think being overshadowed has made it a better and more individualistic city.

Density at the end of the day is a good thing. Its good to be able to walk to things. I wouldn't call myself a "fetishists" but I'd say that more density is a good thing. The Atlanta city proper covers about the same area as Philly's city proper but Philly has like 1 million more people in its city limits alone. Not saying that Atlanta and other sunbelt cities like it have to be as crowded as Philly but there's a little bit of land misuse going on but that's nationwide not just ATL.

Again not just an Atlanta thing but an issue that should be addressed across the sunbelt particularly in the desert when it comes to water. Isn't Lake Lanier running a little low because of water usage?

Compared to Northern Virginia I'd say Atlanta has us beat when it comes to roads. The roads here are just not designed for the number of drivers on these overcrowded roads. At least Atlanta has wide freeways.
good points

I had the fortune of being a delta baby so I've seen first hand what density can do for different cities and the surrouding metro areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or