Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think Atlanta Metro will surpass Philadelphia Metro by 2015?
Yes 50 62.50%
No 28 35.00%
Other (Please specify) 2 2.50%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 03:32 PM

32,008 posts, read 36,668,783 times

Advertisements

An even more startling statistic to me is that Detroit had 2 million residents in 1950 and has fallen to less than half that size in a matter of decades. Detroit had many of the grandest boulevards, buildings and residences in the country. It doesn't take long at all for cities to undergo truly cataclysmic changes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 03:36 PM

14,176 posts, read 22,662,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Metro Atlanta hasn't even officially passed Metropolitan areas of Miami, Washington DC, Houston, or Dallas yet, but yet you Atlantans jump all the way up to Philly and have the nerve to make a thread about Atlanta Metro surpassing Philadelphia metro. This thread is a joke.
It's also worth noting that population estimates in the last two years have had the Atlanta MSA growing at its slowest rate since the 1950's. Furthermore, only Arizona was overcounted by more people than Georgia when comparing 2010 estimates to the official 2010 results, and since much of the overcounting in Arizona occurred in the Phoenix MSA (another city that picked a fight with Philadelphia and lost, by the way), it wouldn't surprise me if the Atlanta MSA was grossly overcounted as well, especially considering it's failed to "stay whole" since 2000, and its unemployment rate has been significantly higher than the Philadelphia MSA unemployment rate during the last few years.

Old 03-16-2011, 03:42 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,326,643 times
Quote:
Metro Atlanta hasn't even officially passed Metropolitan areas of Miami, Washington DC, Houston, or Dallas yet, but yet you Atlantans jump all the way up to Philly and have the nerve to make a thread about Atlanta Metro surpassing Philadelphia metro. This thread is a joke.
Excuse me? This thread was started by Danny, who happens to split his time between D.C., Austin, Chicago & Houston. He doesn't live here, he just thought it was interesting.

Try again.

Old 03-16-2011, 03:56 PM

8,631 posts, read 12,958,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Excuse me? This thread was started by Danny, who happens to split his time between D.C., Austin, Chicago & Houston. He doesn't live here, he just thought it was interesting.

Try again.
Don't try and put all the blame on DANNYY. The joke of this thread is that there are some Atlanta posters so arrogant that they actually believe they can just jump ahead of multiple cities MSA areas and think they are about to pass Philly. Thats all I'm trying to say.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:04 PM

14,176 posts, read 22,662,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
HOW ABOUT THIS LITTLE FACT: Atlanta has grown from nothing to become one of the nation's largest urban centers and a global business center to boot. Philly on the other hand is the city that America forgot -- overshadowed by NYC to the north and DC to the South.
If America has "forgotten" Philadelphia, then that's testament to how geographically ignorant people have become, and I refuse to take the opinions of those who can't tell their hands from their asses on a map seriously.

Philadelphia has the sixth-largest MSA, the fourth-largest DMA, and the seventh-largest GMP in the United States, and is one of only three cities proper to have both 1,000,000+ population and 10,000+ people per square mile. Anybody who thinks it's insignificant or unimportant is damn stupid.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:01 PM

7,579 posts, read 10,734,216 times
Quote:
Don't try and put all the blame on DANNYY. The joke of this thread is that there are some Atlanta posters so arrogant that they actually believe they can just jump ahead of multiple cities MSA areas and think they are about to pass Philly. Thats all I'm trying to say.
Now hold up a minute here....

Are you really trying to twist this argument out of context of "jumping multiple cities," instead of just looking at the facts.

The MSAs are only about 350,000 apart and the growth rate of the Atlanta MSA is much higher than Philly's. Period. It is what it is.

Why is that such joke? It is reality. It might not happen in 5 years, but pending some drastic changes it is quickly approaching and it isn't just Atlanta that is quickly gaining ground in population size.

I have to commend Danny for setting up this thread in the way he did. Perhaps it is trivializing it a bit to put it into a question... will this happen by 2015, but the information is all there and this has been a consistent trend going on for several decades.

Now I'm not going to take away the things that make Philly great and in some ways different from sunbelt cities, but I'm not going to sit here and let someone characterize an otherwise honest, fact based discussion as us just trying to jump ahead and it is a joke.

Quote:
For the record... based on 2009 estimates

-Dallas is already well ahead of Philly. We don't need to pass Dallas to pass Philly
-Houston is right on the verge of passing Philly. Again we don't need to surpass Houston's population to surpass Philly's in the coming years ahead. Houston is only about 100,000 behind Philly and growing much much quicker. At this rate they will surpass Philly a few years ahead of when we do.
-Miami... with 2009 estimates... we are behind by about 2,000 people. We are practically the same size, so again it isn't a big jump for us move ahead of Miami on our way to surpassing Philly's population.
-The same thing for Washington D.C. The only thing that makes DC dicey is it's close proximity to Baltimore. Changes over the geographic definition of that MSA will always have an impact that we might not always see easily 10 or 20 years out. That aside...like Miami... we are practically the same size.

While I am usually cautious about wikipedia... It has a good chart ponder at and provide you some perspective.
Table of United States Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The last thing I want to add here..

Come on people... Don't take this stuff so personally. This isn't a competition to be the biggest city. Whether or not Atlanta, Houston, DC, or Miami grow's larger/faster than Philly is not necessarily going to directly have an impact on what Philly is or isn't. The same can be said vice versa for most cities. It isn't like if Philly gets bumped from a rank of 5 to 7-9 in the coming decade it is really going to all of the sudden drastically change what it is.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Now hold up a minute here....

Are you really trying to twist this argument out of context of "jumping multiple cities," instead of just looking at the facts.

The MSAs are only about 350,000 apart and the growth rate of the Atlanta MSA is much higher than Philly's. Period. It is what it is.

Why is that such joke? It is reality. It might not happen in 5 years, but pending some drastic changes it is quickly approaching and it isn't just Atlanta that is quickly gaining ground in population size.

I have to commend Danny for setting up this thread in the way he did. Perhaps it is trivializing it a bit to put it into a question... will this happen by 2015, but the information is all there and this has been a consistent trend going on for several decades.

Now I'm not going to take away the things that make Philly great and in some ways different from sunbelt cities, but I'm not going to sit here and let someone characterize an otherwise honest, fact based discussion as us just trying to jump ahead and it is a joke.

For the record... based on 2009 estimates

-Dallas is already well ahead of Philly. We don't need to pass Dallas to pass Philly
-Houston is right on the verge of passing Philly. Again we don't need to surpass Houston's population to surpass Philly's in the coming years ahead. Houston is only about 100,000 behind Philly and growing much much quicker. At this rate they will surpass Philly a few years ahead of when we do.
-Miami... with 2009 estimates... we are behind by about 2,000 people. We are practically the same size, so again it isn't a big jump for us move ahead of Miami on our way to surpassing Philly's population.

-The same thing for Washington D.C. The only thing that makes DC dicey is it's close proximity to Baltimore. Changes over the geographic definition of that MSA will always have an impact that we might not always see easily 10 or 20 years out. That aside...like Miami... we are practically the same size.

While I am usually cautious about wikipedia... It has a good chart ponder at and provide you some perspective.
Table of United States Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The last thing I want to add here..

Come on people... Don't take this stuff so personally. This isn't a competition to be the biggest city. Whether or not Atlanta, Houston, DC, or Miami grow's larger/faster than Philly is not necessarily going to directly have an impact on what Philly is or isn't. The same can be said vice versa for most cities. It isn't like if Philly gets bumped from a rank of 5 to 7-9 in the coming decade it is really going to all of the sudden drastically change what it is.
You must keep in mind that these statistics are only estimates, not official numbers! And your also forgetting counties that are likely to be added back that were once part of Philly metro. (Mercer County being the most obvious). That county alone would keep Philly at #4. I go by official census numbers not estimates like you do.

Last edited by gwillyfromphilly; 03-16-2011 at 05:19 PM..

Old 03-16-2011, 05:20 PM

Quote:
You must keep in mind that these statistics are only estimates, not official numbers! And your also forgetting counties that are likely to be added back that were once part of Philly metro. (Mercer County being the most obvious). That county alone would keep Philly at #4. I go by official census numbers not estimates like you do.
They are official census estimates based upon ongoing yearly surveys.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:22 PM

Furthermore if you only rely on census data alone... you are blatantly ignoring any growth that has occurred in a 10 year time frame, which we all know has occurred. Even if the estimates differ slightly from the final census count.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Furthermore if you only rely on census data alone... you are blatantly ignoring any growth that has occurred in a 10 year time frame, which we all know has occurred. Even if the estimates differ slightly from the final census count.
I guess I'm blatantly ignorant for relying on official information instead of estimates which can be way off at times. ( If you don't believe me just look at the 2010 census on city populations. A lot of cities estimates were way off compared to Official census numbers!) Official numbers are official numbers get over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: