U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 09:01 PM

5,098 posts, read 7,386,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowOldGetWise View Post
I'm starting to see spaceships on bankhead.....
wassup bohagon, bankhead, FABO!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 10:10 PM

11,319 posts, read 21,998,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slambango View Post
Take off the tin-foil hats!! UFO's are nonsense.
Perhaps true, but proving that to be the case isn't a simple task.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:47 PM

1,120 posts, read 2,233,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Perhaps true, but proving that to be the case isn't a simple task.

Simple tasks? Hmmmm?

It might not be a simple task either to get your reputation score over the 999 figure when you're posting on the subject of UFOs.

Do you realize that your reputation is currently at 999.

If you really, really, really want your reputation over 1000, maybe you should skip this controversial subject and focus your attention on a subject less controversial.

Start a Nancy Peolsi thread and speak of her in glowing terms. You'll get your reputation easily to 1100 by tomorrow night. Stick with something less controversial.

In the state of Georgia, I don't know which is worse: believing in UFOs or admiring Nancy Pelosi. You're bound to get flak for both.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:39 PM

11,319 posts, read 21,998,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zel Ya View Post
Do you realize that your reputation is currently at 999.
My focus here is small talk. Save the reputation for the natives.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:41 AM

3,622 posts, read 4,947,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ses76 View Post
Hey, I just made an account to reply to this forum. My name is Scott and I have had SEVERAL ufo experiences here. They started in 2009. And is it just me or are these things on the rise!? Ask dusk, in rush hour on some nights, I have seen so much activity go down that it would make your head spin. And you don't even have to know what you are looking for any more. It is THAT gratuitous. I have a youtube channel that has grown quite substantially due to my postings of what I have seen. www.youtube.com/ses76 It is all going down in this city right now and would love to talk a bit about it. I feel crazy sometimes in the others NOT noticing.
I gotta say, I envy your view of the Atlanta skyline!

Old 11-30-2010, 02:43 AM

3 posts, read 2,842 times
Until the last line I have no idea what you just said. Sure, I'll give you a brief: In this city there are hovering balls of light. Strange things seem to occur within these light balls. I have documented this at least 40 times over. It is something you might have to see for yourself to understand? Also, there are L shaped craft that change form into a spiral and then into a beautiful purple/violet color; a flame shape will then shift into a funnel. The process repeats several times over.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GagaP56kw2Y I know that you had said you cannot access youtube but maybe someone reading this can? They can see for themselves what it looks like.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:52 AM

196 posts, read 153,015 times
When considering life from outer space visiting Earth please keep these facts in mind.

1) There are no planets that support life closer than 20 light years away.
2) Any life that has the ability to travel to Earth would be 10,000 times more advanced than we are.
3) Any life that is so much more advanced than we are would have no reason to hide from us.
4) If they wanted to hide, they wouldn't be discovered mostly in trailor parks & Walmart parking lots.

The fact is there's about as much evidence for Aliens visiting earth as there is for Harry Potter. I'm continually shocked at the nonsense that otherwise rational adults seem to believe. UFO's, ghosts, spirits, ESP, talking with the dead, ect... Seriously, it's fun to ponder, but to suggest this stuff is real just makes you look like a kook to the rational people who surround you. I'd suggest you keep your "true ufo" stories confined to anonymous message boards, to avoid looking like Dale Gribble.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:15 AM

2,642 posts, read 7,261,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slambango View Post
When considering life from outer space visiting Earth please keep these facts in mind.

1) There are no planets that support life closer than 20 light years away.
2) Any life that has the ability to travel to Earth would be 10,000 times more advanced than we are.
3) Any life that is so much more advanced than we are would have no reason to hide from us.
4) If they wanted to hide, they wouldn't be discovered mostly in trailor parks & Walmart parking lots.

The fact is there's about as much evidence for Aliens visiting earth as there is for Harry Potter. I'm continually shocked at the nonsense that otherwise rational adults seem to believe. UFO's, ghosts, spirits, ESP, talking with the dead, ect... Seriously, it's fun to ponder, but to suggest this stuff is real just makes you look like a kook to the rational people who surround you. I'd suggest you keep your "true ufo" stories confined to anonymous message boards, to avoid looking like Dale Gribble.

Sheer probability disagrees with you. There are an infinite events in which life on other planets could exist, considering the infiniteness of the universe. But there is only ONE event in which life on other planets does not exist

As we know, 1/infinity = infinitesimally small (since infinity is not a number but the concept of a number so large that you may move towards it by never reach it). Therefore, the probability that there is NO life in the infinite universe is infinitesimally small.

Conversely, the probability of life in the universe is infinitesimally large.

This, however, proves the probability that WE exist since it's just the simple probability of life in the universe.

However, we're most interested in the conditional probability of other life in the universe given there is life in the universe.

P(other life | current life) = P( current life AND other life) / P(current life)

Now, if we can assume that the events "current life" and "other life" are independent of each other, meaning the the occurrence of "current life" does effect the occurrence of "other life", then we can get P( current life AND other life) = P(current life)*P(other life).

If these event are independent then the probability of either is "infinitesimally large".

I would argue that these events ARE independent (of course, some religions would disagree).

So, back to the conditional formula:

P(other life | current life) = (infinitesimally large * infinitesimally large) / infinitesimally large

What does this mean? Let's plug in large numbers for "infinitesimally large" to get a picture.

Pretend "infinitesimally large" = 9,999,999,999,999,999

This means P(other life | current life) = 9,999,999,999,999,999*9,999,999,999,999,999 / 9,999,999,999,999,999 = 9,999,999,999,999,999

Again, I am substituting a number for a concept. The real answer is "infinitesimally large".

So, I think it's more likely that life does exist elsewhere in the universe.

(I know there are likely holes in my "theory". First, I am assuming the events are independent when I can't KNOW that. Second, I am not all that well-versed in the concept of infinity so I may have violated some math. Feel free to point out other holes.)

But that was fun to think about.

BTW, I apply the same thinking to the existence of some sort of God, though because of that I feel the probability of the existence of God in the Bible is "infinitesimally small", though the overall probability of the existence of some sort of Being is "infinitesimally large".

Does this circle back to the idea that God = life on other planets?

Old 11-30-2010, 07:20 AM

2,642 posts, read 7,261,175 times
Other assumptions I made is that the universe is infinite, that there are infinite events in which there is life while there is only ONE event in which there is not. That's a big assumption...that there is only one instance/event in which something does NOT exist. It makes sense to me but I recognize it could be false.

So, have fun!

Old 11-30-2010, 07:33 AM

196 posts, read 153,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
Sheer probability disagrees with you. There are an infinite events in which life on other planets could exist, considering the infiniteness of the universe. But there is only ONE event in which life on other planets does not exist

As we know, 1/infinity = infinitesimally small (since infinity is not a number but the concept of a number so large that you may move towards it by never reach it). Therefore, the probability that there is NO life in the infinite universe is infinitesimally small.

Conversely, the probability of life in the universe is infinitesimally large.

This, however, proves the probability that WE exist since it's just the simple probability of life in the universe.

However, we're most interested in the conditional probability of other life in the universe given there is life in the universe.

P(other life | current life) = P( current life AND other life) / P(current life)

Now, if we can assume that the events "current life" and "other life" are independent of each other, meaning the the occurrence of "current life" does effect the occurrence of "other life", then we can get P( current life AND other life) = P(current life)*P(other life).

If these event are independent then the probability of either is "infinitesimally large".

I would argue that these events ARE independent (of course, some religions would disagree).

So, back to the conditional formula:

P(other life | current life) = (infinitesimally large * infinitesimally large) / infinitesimally large

What does this mean? Let's plug in large numbers for "infinitesimally large" to get a picture.

Pretend "infinitesimally large" = 9,999,999,999,999,999

This means P(other life | current life) = 9,999,999,999,999,999*9,999,999,999,999,999 / 9,999,999,999,999,999 = 9,999,999,999,999,999

Again, I am substituting a number for a concept. The real answer is "infinitesimally large".

So, I think it's more likely that life does exist elsewhere in the universe.

(I know there are likely holes in my "theory". First, I am assuming the events are independent when I can't KNOW that. Second, I am not all that well-versed in the concept of infinity so I may have violated some math. Feel free to point out other holes.)

But that was fun to think about.

BTW, I apply the same thinking to the existence of some sort of God, though because of that I feel the probability of the existence of God in the Bible is "infinitesimally small", though the overall probability of the existence of some sort of Being is "infinitesimally large".

Does this circle back to the idea that God = life on other planets?
Oh, I'm quite sure there's life out there somewhere... it just IS NOT VISITING EARTH! When & if it does, we'll all know it. You seem to be linking the possibility that life exists out there (very high) with the chance that it has visited Earth (infintesimally small)

By the way, something NOT happening is NOT an event, but the lack of an event.
Since there are an infinite number of events that DO NOT happen, it means you've left an infinite number of things out of your reasoning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or